Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Leon Barnett throwing the ball at the ref...

...what did you see and make of it?

I didn''t get a great view but I thought he just threw the ball to the ground in anger. I presume not for getting a second yellow but more for his first yellow which never was.

Was it as bad as some people are making out? I''ve read 3 game bans, I''ve read 10 game bans. We do know however that this in it''s current state is the same as Crofts, whereby Leon faces a one game ban for today''s red and then stays on 4 yellows following the suspension.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]It was such an idiotic thing to do, i understand his frustration but he simply cannot do that. Now we''re f*cked without him im really not looking forward to a Ward & Nelson partnership.[/quote]Yup you pretty much summed it up !Nelson with his 90oc turning angle LOL , cant wait to watch him get turned like a spinning top week in weekout......Anychance of Whitbread getting the magic sponge ??? ><

[quote user="Largey"]...what did you see and make of it?

I didn''t get a great view but I thought he just threw the ball to the ground in anger. I presume not for getting a second yellow but more for his first yellow which never was.

Was it as bad as some people are making out? I''ve read 3 game bans, I''ve read 10 game bans. We do know however that this in it''s current state is the same as Crofts, whereby Leon faces a one game ban for today''s red and then stays on 4 yellows following the suspension.[/quote]It looked to me as if he threw it with some force, and it hit the referee in the chest. If the referee deems it assault against him and includes it in his match report as such, 10 games is about right. I think Prutton got 10 for his little shove, and Di Canio got 12 for his shove on Alcock. If the ref deems it as accidental or incidental, he might get away with it being an abusive or dissent-based gesture, which might only be another couple of games. Either way, he won''t play again in 2010.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]It was such an idiotic thing to do, i understand his frustration but he simply cannot do that. Now we''re f*cked without him im really not looking forward to a Ward & Nelson partnership.[/quote]

Yup you pretty much summed it up !
Nelson with his 90oc turning angle LOL , cant wait to watch him get turned like a spinning top week in weekout......

Anychance of Whitbread getting the magic sponge ??? ><
[/quote]

I think to get him playing again you''d need to have super powers  and be able to resurect the dead!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Largey"]...what did you see and make of it? I didn''t get a great view but I thought he just threw the ball to the ground in anger. I presume not for getting a second yellow but more for his first yellow which never was. Was it as bad as some people are making out? I''ve read 3 game bans, I''ve read 10 game bans. We do know however that this in it''s current state is the same as Crofts, whereby Leon faces a one game ban for today''s red and then stays on 4 yellows following the suspension.[/quote]
It looked to me as if he threw it with some force, and it hit the referee in the chest. If the referee deems it assault against him and includes it in his match report as such, 10 games is about right. I think Prutton got 10 for his little shove, and Di Canio got 12 for his shove on Alcock. If the ref deems it as accidental or incidental, he might get away with it being an abusive or dissent-based gesture, which might only be another couple of games. Either way, he won''t play again in 2010.
[/quote]

If  Barnetts got any sence ( which is clearly debatable ) he would have gone straight to the referees changing room after the game and apologised.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Largey"]...what did you see and make of it? I didn''t get a great view but I thought he just threw the ball to the ground in anger. I presume not for getting a second yellow but more for his first yellow which never was. Was it as bad as some people are making out? I''ve read 3 game bans, I''ve read 10 game bans. We do know however that this in it''s current state is the same as Crofts, whereby Leon faces a one game ban for today''s red and then stays on 4 yellows following the suspension.[/quote]It looked to me as if he threw it with some force, and it hit the referee in the chest. If the referee deems it assault against him and includes it in his match report as such, 10 games is about right. I think Prutton got 10 for his little shove, and Di Canio got 12 for his shove on Alcock. If the ref deems it as accidental or incidental, he might get away with it being an abusive or dissent-based gesture, which might only be another couple of games. Either way, he won''t play again in 2010.[/quote]

If  Barnetts got any sence ( which is clearly debatable ) he would have gone straight to the referees changing room after the game and apologised.

[/quote]Would be very surprised if Lambo hadn''t already made sure that happened. Give him five minutes to calm down, then tell him to get his arse in there and apologise profusely.

Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Though, those of you worrying about Nelson being back in the team, it''s worth remembering he was playing fine before he got injured. Admittedly it might be a stretch to go straight back in in good form, but we''ve nothing to worry about with him in there.

[quote user="26mjw"]Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Though, those of you worrying about Nelson being back in the team, it''s worth remembering he was playing fine before he got injured. Admittedly it might be a stretch to go straight back in in good form, but we''ve nothing to worry about with him in there.[/quote]He does the nuts and bolts well (winning headers, crunching tackles, intercepting passes), but his distribution is shocking compared to Barnett, and I fear we will notice that over the coming matches. Let''s just hope that we see Good-Ward rather than Bad-Ward in the next few weeks... he needs to cut out the Jekyll and Hyde performances and lead by example now.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="26mjw"]Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Though, those of you worrying about Nelson being back in the team, it''s worth remembering he was playing fine before he got injured. Admittedly it might be a stretch to go straight back in in good form, but we''ve nothing to worry about with him in there.[/quote]He does the nuts and bolts well (winning headers, crunching tackles, intercepting passes), but his distribution is shocking compared to Barnett, and I fear we will notice that over the coming matches. Let''s just hope that we see Good-Ward rather than Bad-Ward in the next few weeks... he needs to cut out the Jekyll and Hyde performances and lead by example now.[/quote]

To be fair, Barnett is a long ball merchant. Of the two, Ward is the one who will pass it out of defence while Barnett lobs it long. While he''s likely more accurate and I don''t disagree he''s a better defender than Nelson, I''m happy with Nelson as backup.

[quote user="26mjw"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="26mjw"]Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Though, those of you worrying about Nelson being back in the team, it''s worth remembering he was playing fine before he got injured. Admittedly it might be a stretch to go straight back in in good form, but we''ve nothing to worry about with him in there.[/quote]He does the nuts and bolts well (winning headers, crunching tackles, intercepting passes), but his distribution is shocking compared to Barnett, and I fear we will notice that over the coming matches. Let''s just hope that we see Good-Ward rather than Bad-Ward in the next few weeks... he needs to cut out the Jekyll and Hyde performances and lead by example now.[/quote]

To be fair, Barnett is a long ball merchant. Of the two, Ward is the one who will pass it out of defence while Barnett lobs it long. While he''s likely more accurate and I don''t disagree he''s a better defender than Nelson, I''m happy with Nelson as backup.[/quote]Don''t see Barnett as a long-ball merchant. He''ll float balls into the striker or into the channels sometimes, but all centre-backs do that. Barnett seems quite cultured to me - especially with his headers. Instead of just heading the ball as high and far down the pitch as he can, he often retains possession by shielding the headers down to the feet of midfielders. Don''t see Nelson doing much of that. I think Barnett has the balance about right, and his accuracy with longer passes is better IMO - Ward seems to shank a lot of them out for throws, which is probably why he prefers to take a couple of touches, step inside and play it simple.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="26mjw"]Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Why are we assuming Nelson will return?

I reckon Jens Berthel Askou is worth another go if we are worried about distribution....[*cringes and waits for vitriolic onslaught*]

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="26mjw"]Yes, he threw it at the ref.

Why are we assuming Nelson will return?

I reckon Jens Berthel Askou is worth another go if we are worried about distribution....[*cringes and waits for vitriolic onslaught*][/quote]Lambert clearly doesn''t rate him. First half of last season he looked solid as a rock before his injury, but in his limited pitch time since that injury, he has looked very suspect. I think he''s worth a punt, but I very much doubt Lambert will play him unless it''s a last resort.

JBA isn''t good enough and was utterly shown up against Palace in his last game. He''s clearly behind Nelson in the pecking order and rightly so.

It was an idiotic thing to do. The FA could of course do nothing about it but I feel this is unlikely. My likely favourite is that somehow he manages to make a case that he threw the ball away ( not at the ref ) and be given a 3 game ban. I have not seen a replay, just the live incident. I am hoping that when I see a replay it does not look as bad as it looked live. If as it seemed when watching it live he threw the ball with power ( aggression ) at the refs face, then I am afraid the precedent for this is a 10 match ban, personally I cant see there is a difference in pushing / hitting the ref than to throwing something at him with aggression. I am hoping when I see it again it was not as bad as it looked. 

If somebody did what he did on a Sunday morning game he would be banned for years      

I didn''t even realise that Nelson was back from his injury!  They will both do the things like heading, tackling, blocking etc very well but I think we will be a little bit suspect to through balls and anyone with pace.

I feel sorry for Leon, you see plenty worse things in football (and in nifact just in the game today) go unpunished/without a sending off and yet he''s got one. Never deserved that but it''s got a habit of happening when the ref gives a p*ssy first yellow.

Why didn''t he book Utaka for kicking the ball away or his body/check obstruction? Both were straight yellows and yet he didn''t get one for either.

It was in the heat of the moment, he lost his temper but by doing that he showed how much it meant to him.

Just bugs me, that ref got so much wrong today but he''ll be out there again next week and Leon Barnett won''t be. Not right.

[quote user="GJP"]

I feel sorry for Leon, you see plenty worse things in football (and in nifact just in the game today) go unpunished/without a sending off and yet he''s got one. Never deserved that but it''s got a habit of happening when the ref gives a p*ssy first yellow.

Why didn''t he book Utaka for kicking the ball away or his body/check obstruction? Both were straight yellows and yet he didn''t get one for either.

It was in the heat of the moment, he lost his temper but by doing that he showed how much it meant to him.

Just bugs me, that ref got so much wrong today but he''ll be out there again next week and Leon Barnett won''t be. Not right.

[/quote]Your last line is spot on, refereeing is a very difficult job but there was no question that both the instances you mention were yellow card offences and therefore their player should have been sent off while Barnett clearly got the ball for his first yellow and shouldn''t even have been booked. Having seen it again on the FL show I didn''t think it was a penalty, we had a similar challenge on Jackson against the scum the other week and end up getting a player booked which once again shows up the inconsistencies among referees.

I have to say that I have never seen so much one sided reffereeing, it seemed like the ref had come on Pompys bus, Nugent should have been booked for his jesturing to the Barclay fans, and also booked for the dive in the box, In Barnetts defence, when he threw the ball he was not looking at the ref so he could have just been throwing it away in anger, but No excuse you don''t do that anyway, but the ball was kicked away by a portsmouth player shortley befor, No card, Barnett should be hoping that the ref is going to be leniant on this, but the FA will use footage to find a player guilty but not inocent, 

Yup you pretty much summed it up !
Nelson with his 90oc turning angle LOL , cant wait to watch him get turned like a spinning top week in weekout......

Anychance of Whitbread getting the magic sponge ??? ><
[/quote

For a start I believe that Barnet threw the ball to the ground in anger and it bounced up and hit the ref. Fingers crossed the ref doesn''t deem that incident as assaulting him.

Secondly, you''d rather have a sicknote (Whitbread) whos total unconvincing time on the pitch for Norwich City in one year at the club wouldn''t total 2 full games than the 110% commited Nelson who played a big part in our promotion last season and had a 2-3 decent games this season prior to getting injured?????

I won''t be surprised if Whitbreads contract will be getting cancelled soon cause I don''t think hes going to do much for us now!

I''ll agree that the Championship may be a stretch too far for Nelson but I''d rather have him than Whitbread anyday! 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

For a start I believe that Barnet threw the ball to the ground in anger and it bounced up and hit the ref. Fingers crossed the ref doesn''t deem that incident as assaulting him.[/quote]

Just watched it on the FLS and he definately aimed it at the ref which is why I guess he went in and apologised to him after the game.

From where I was sitting it looked as if  he intentionally threw  the ball at the ref and the ref reacted accordingly, silly thing to do, hopefully his apology will help but the ref certainly seemed to react and my bet would be this will appear in his  match report.

Having watched the Football League Show highlights several times, this all seems a bit of a storm in a tea-cup to me. I agree that the first yellow should not have been given, and Barnett had reason to feel aggrieved about that. Personally, I thought the ref was a bit fussy to give a penalty and then a yellow card as well in the dying seconds of the game.

To me, the Ref looked away as Barnett tossed the ball to him. If the ref can''t give some credence to players emotions, then I fail to see why ''respect'' should be shown to refs. Sadly, TV exposure has made too many of them egocentric in the extreme. A good ref blends into the background - it''s the other sort that becomes the centre of attention at the expence of the football being played, IMO.

He''s been charged by the FA, I''m sure he''ll accept the charge and it will be interesting to see what the punishment is.http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2243379,00.htmlI think we''ll be lucky with anything less than 5 games, FA like to come down very hard on cases like this.

There is a mixture of bans that have been handed out for improper conduct. Adebayor got a suspended 2 game ban after celebrating in front of the Arsenal fans when playing for Man City, Lee Hendrie had a one 1 match ban after swearing at a ref back in 2009 and Roger Johnson at Birmingham was fined £7,500 for two counts of improper conduct after swearing at a ref and making comments to the media.

Obviously throwing a ball at the ref is worse than just swearing at him (which he probably did as well), but given he made an apology straight away may count towards something (clutching at straws?).

Wouldn''t be surprised with an additional match ban and a hefty fine. Talk of a 10 game ban is maddness.

Lets hope it isn''t a long ban as we''re going to miss him, though like Lambert says it will give someone else a chance to step up to the mark.

I think a possible fine and a suspended ban would be fitting for this

I dont condone what Barnett did, but a sending off and giving a way a penalty after a frustrating game for Norwich he was bound to be upset, he didn''t behave well, but theres a big difference between pushing the ball at the referee in anger and shoving one to the ground,

The referees not made of glass, he was hit by a football on a football pitch - lets just hope the FA don''t overreact.