Sign in to follow this  
jed exodous

Nelson...

Seems most people are once again slating Nelson before giving him a chance.  He was great for us last year and the coaching staff really made him a much better player.  Its likely he''ll be in next week, so lets give him a chance before slagging him off, if i remember rightly, he was playing pretty well against the likes of Swansea, who have pace in sinclair..  He may not be the fastest or most gifted footballer, but you know he will give you 100% effort and commitment, and we know hes decent in the air as well.

Give the guy a break, we''ve had a set back, so lets get behind all of the team...

Couldn''t agree more.  Not the most gifted but the sort of player you want on your side when the going gets tough.  He won''t let us down.

I also agree with this.  I remember his rock-like display against Swansea and his match-winning block at Scunthorpe.  Really my biggest concern with him would be his lack of match fitness, not having played since August.

Nelson was great for us last season and apart from the Watford game when most of the team weren''t with it, he played well before getting injured!

My concern is the lack of match fitness which is the reason why I can never understand why we pulled out of the reserve League?

[quote user="nevermind"]i''m sure if lambert puts him in the team, he''ll be fit[/quote]

And he pops up and gets the odd goal, when it matters most, Charlton brought promotion a little early and did he not have a hand in the title match, I agree, get off his back and give him a go

Malky and Flem weren''t technically great but still good centre-halves. Strength, heading, jumping and marking are more important than being able to pass the ball out from the back.

Nelson also scores quite a lot

Agreed, before his injury Nelson was playing really well whilst not incredibly technically gifted (and his distribution is Cr**p) he was a rock solid, no nonsense CB he could block shots, time tackles and win headers. He was a real ''description on tin'' player. The lack of pace at the back will probably be made up with the centre backs lying slighty deeper than a Ward/Barnett partnership but as stated above it worked aginst the pacy wingers of swansea why can''t it work against Coventry who are a very physical side?

I also thought he did ok for us before he got injured, I''m sure he wont let us down on Saturday, lets trust in Lambert, he won''t pick him if hes not up to the job.

Played well before injury. I suspect Barnett will be out for a few games following his ball throwing tantrum so Nelson has the opportunity of getting a few games and take it from there

He''s a big lump who can put the boot in when needed, which just about par for the course for Championship centre backs. He should be fine providing he gets his positioning right and doesn''t get drawn out of the central areas. The full backs will need to cover for his lack of pace, should he get caught out.I would hope Lambert moves Crofts back in front of the back four though. Nice as it is to see Fox contributing, he doesn''t tackle or harrass attacking midfielders. Crofts is more mobile and provides a better defensive screen for, ahem, less mobile defenders.

He will get a run out in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Tuesday night:City (from): Rudd, Steer, Matthews, Nelson, Askou, Habergham, Gordon,

Jones, Stephens, Tudur Jones, Ball, Florence, Clunan, Kellly, Dobbs,

Daley, Johnson, Dawkin, McNamee, Oakley.