Sign in to follow this  
hucks@dh6.co.uk

Hucks Meets Nigel Worthington on www.dh6.co.uk

Just one thing I would like to comment on, The petition that wasnt not a petition. It was a survey that was conduct by the Worthy out campaign to gather paying fans opinion. Do you want him in or Do you want him out. We took over 3000 points of view that day from alround the ground and it was a massive 80%+ in favour of out. 3000 out of 20,000 is far more than opinion pollsters get when coming to a conclusion and is was a simple in or out question.

Why didn''t I continue with a Doncaster out campaign? Because I was bloody knacked by the Worthy out one, It took up a lot of spare time that I did not have and I was only in the backround, I did not have the energy tbh. Although I would have def supported it.

As I said bits of my post will be pulled apart to disprove or knock it but overall it was my veiw at that time and, I believe, the view of the vast majority or the paying fans. 

[quote user="morty"]

How long ago did it all happen though? Maybe things happen for a reason and we wouldn''t be where we are today, from a manager and board point of view if Worthington had stayed and we continued to stagnate (whoever was it fault, the board or the manager)

It just seems like as soon as the magic word "Worthington" is typed on here, you appear banging the same drum.

Some people remember it the way you paint it, some remember it the way MTV has  portrayed  it. Neither is going to change their minds.

Maybe its time to move on.

[:)]
[/quote]

It''s very difficult to move on when posts like MTV''s are said to be honest and posts like mine are said to be using hindsight. I got no support for my views on here back then and don''t now. So maybe I should keep quiet and let dishonesty rule! But thet''s not my way and there''s no way that the majority of fans wanted Worthy Out.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="morty"]

How long ago did it all happen though? Maybe things happen for a reason and we wouldn''t be where we are today, from a manager and board point of view if Worthington had stayed and we continued to stagnate (whoever was it fault, the board or the manager)It just seems like as soon as the magic word "Worthington" is typed on here, you appear banging the same drum.Some people remember it the way you paint it, some remember it the way MTV has  portrayed  it. Neither is going to change their minds.Maybe its time to move on.[:)][/quote]

It''s very difficult to move on when posts like MTV''s are said to be honest and posts like mine are said to be using hindsight. I got no support for my views on here back then and don''t now. So maybe I should keep quiet and let dishonesty rule! But thet''s not my way and there''s no way that the majority of fans wanted Worthy Out.

[/quote]The majority of fans wanted Worthy out in the end, this is something you are going to have to accept. I of course have no proof of this other than opinions of friends at the time, and the majority of the stadium chanting for his head of course.It sounded pretty much like a majority to me, but of course thats just my opinion.[:)]

Why is it that nobody addresses the real issues of the time. They didn''t then and you don''t now. All I hear are personal reasons why people wanted Worthy Out. Back in that time I asked a fellow fan in the Barclay why he was cheering QPR goals. He said it was because he wanted Worthy out. I asked why and he said "because I don''t like him"!

Had there been more focus on the issues and less on personalities we maybe could have got a better result. Jas says we are much better off now, it''s not an argument that I wish to take too far because we all support the here and now and I love this team. But when you bear in mind the constraints Worthy had to work under the team he left us was pretty good wasn''t it?

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury

Croft Safri Etuhu Huckerby

Dublin Earnshaw

[quote user="morty"]Lol, just ignore me and bat on about it forever then.

[/quote]

I thought you once told me you stopped posting on here because of all the arguments over Worthy?

All the threads on the board and you hang out on here where the only opinion you appear to have is about me.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, just ignore me and bat on about it forever then.[:)][/quote]

I thought you once told me you stopped posting on here because of all the arguments over Worthy?

All the threads on the board and you hang out on here where the only opinion you appear to have is about me.

[/quote]I did stop posting because it got petty, childish and pathetic on BOTH sides.This is currently the only particularly active thread, and I started on the point because I thought that MTV''s post actually reflected how I remember things happening. I could quite happily never again comment on Nigel Worthington related matters, could you?

Looks like I''m being ignored to.....It started with me about the football, it seemed to me at the time that Worthington wanted to get the ball up the park as quickly as he could, to watch it was boring and in the end inaffective. Worthington made it personal by his attacks on the fans who did not like the way his team was playing. He berated the paying customers and as soon as you do that your time is going to end.

How do you prtest about a manager politely? Can someone please advise? In the end it was a battle of wills between a manage and board and the fans. The Board will always get rid of the Manager when faced with the sort of anger that accompanied Worthington at the end.

Nigel you have not mentioned the survey we did and the results. There never was a petition, something else that has been changed in you mind over time?

Anyway he has gone, he wont be back and heres one life long fan that is very happy about it. I am just happy to sit and enjoy good exciting football that Lambert promotes. And even if that was in Div 1, I really enjoy our excusion into that league and am enjoying this season even more.

And thats what we all want isnt it? 

Why is it that nobody addresses the real issues of the time. They didn''t then and you don''t now. All I hear are personal reasons why people wanted Worthy Out. Back in that time I asked a fellow fan in the Barclay why he was cheering QPR goals. He said it was because he wanted Worthy out. I asked why and he said "because I don''t like him"!

Had there been more focus on the issues and less on personalities we maybe could have got a better result. Jas says we are much better off now, it''s not an argument that I wish to take too far because we all support the here and now and I love this team. But when you bear in mind the constraints Worthy had to work under the team he left us was pretty good wasn''t it?

Gallacher

Dublin Earnshaw

[/quote]

On paper.

Successful football management for clubs like ours involves obtaining an end product greater than the sum of the individual parts. Worthy did this pre the latest premiership  season, but not post that prem season. Lambert has also achieved this so far.

Worthington had lost it for a long while (in football terms) long before his eventual departure. That he had seriously lost it is evidenced as you point out by the quality of the individual parts of the team he left us with.

In modern football most managers have a pretty short shelf life.

Let''s see what happens over time with Paul Lambert - who has been pretty well perfect so far - because our future possibilities at this time appear fascinating.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Successful football management for clubs like ours involves obtaining an end product greater than the sum of the individual parts. Worthy did this pre the latest premiership  season, but not post that prem season. Lambert has also achieved this so far.

Worthington had lost it for a long while (in football terms) long before his eventual departure. That he had seriously lost it is evidenced as you point out by the quality of the individual parts of the team he left us with.

In modern football most managers have a pretty short shelf life.

Let''s see what happens over time with Paul Lambert - who has been pretty well perfect so far - because our future possibilities at this time appear fascinating.

OTBC

[/quote]

Strange it should be your post that I can identify most with today. There is no doubt that Lambert''s team is better than the sum of the individual qualities. And it''s a point I have made time and time again. And it''s great being a Norwich fan again.

But that''s not what we''re discussing here. What we are discussing here is the disgraceful personal campaign waged against one of the best football managers in our great clubs history. And still they come here full of self righteousness and will not accept that any part of what they did was wrong. Poor old MTV was too tired to move on to Doncaster so what is the excuse for the others? When the others did surface again they''d turned their attentions to Delia. Even when the Associate Directors pointed out where the problem lay they still didn''t make a murmer about Munby and Doncaster. How long would those people, who were so keen to hound out Worthy, have carried on being too tired to care?

And MTV -  if it wasn''t a petition then why are there threads on here from some of the campaign organisers appealing for people to volunteer to help with the petitions? Their words, not mine.

Now Morty, if folk want to forget about it and move on then why come onto a thread where an interview with the man himself would obviously rake up issues from the past? And if you had put up with the sort of stuff I had to put up with when I put my point of view over the years wouldn''t you point that out if the interview reflected the points you had been making?

Even now these people maintain Worthy lost the dressing room, on the same thread that our star player of the time admitted he rushed back to play to try and help that manager. And then claim their views to be "honest"!

Whatever we all remember, it''s in the past now.  And the fact is that where, in the days of Doomy, the joint majority shareholder and nations favourite cook used to talk about the possibility of having a chapel in the ground,  she now talks about having a team that works for each other and the club,and seems to understand the importance of that.  That is a shift in thinking at the top level of the club.  To my mind, that is the difference between having a CEO who doesn''t understand football but is good with paper, and who does the bidding of the majority shareholders, and having someone who understands what needs to be done to make a club work and is willing to tell them what they need to do to make it happen.  As for Worthy Out, it was the dripping tap that couldn''t be switched off.  It would only take a clique of players to decide that they weren''t happy with the boss to use the vehicle created by some of the fans to take advantage of the situation.  And I believe that is what happened in the end.  We were firing on all cylinders at the start of that season, but something happened in the international break, who can say what, and the form trailed off.  I believe he only lost part of the dressing room for what it''s worth.

[quote user="The Butler"]http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=21960[/quote]

That''s the spirit Butler. We have views of fans, a player and the manager on here. What better way to put it into perspective than a good piece of really objective journalism. Does anybody want to own up to writing this?

Part One is here.  Even more objective than part two. Good find Butler!! This just goes to show the lengths these people would go to manufacture a case against Worthy! Forget Hucks, Dublin, Earnshaw and concentrate on the views of Jarrett and Crow. Where are these great sages now???

[quote user="The Butler"]http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=21960[/quote]

That''s the spirit Butler. We have views of fans, a player and the manager on here. What better way to put it into perspective than a good piece of really objective journalism. Does anybody want to own up to writing this?

Part One is here.  Even more objective than part two. Good find Butler!! This just goes to show the lengths these people would go to manufacture a case against Worthy! Forget Hucks, Dublin, Earnshaw and concentrate on the views of Jarrett and Crow. Where are these great sages now???

[/quote]

It''s whats called a view from the other perspective.

I make no comment but post in the spirit of a balanced discussion.

I would forget Earnshaw as he had a great contract that allowed him to scuttle off for more money asap. (I hope that was another peace of business that was Doncaster s fault)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

still.. those who defended

him etc and feel he should still be here should bear 1 thing in mind..

it was the events of the Worthy Fiasco that got the ball rolling to

where we are today under Lambert... who seriously doesnt think we are

better off now?

[/quote]

Jas, that''s the biggest crock of b****cks I''ve read on this thread yet!

Do you REALLY think we were guaranteed something better after we got rid

of Worthy? We have stumbled, due to fortune and mainly Gunn''s

ineptitude, upon Lambert at exactly the right time. I direct you to the bit at the end of my post:[quote user="Mook"]Ask any Sheffield Wednesday fan - you can go through years and years of wilderness before getting anything in place that can change things. It''s all very well to sit there and look smug as we now have the Lambert/McNally combo, but there was absolutely NO guarantee that this situation would have arisen. We could have had 10 / 20 years of Gunns, Roeders, Grants, Christ only knows who else, Bryan Robson? Steve Tilson? Phil Parkinson? Dave Penney? Jeremy Goss? I shudder to think. And THAT is why the Worthy Out campaign split the terraces so vehemently. Stick with a tried and tested manager who MAY have lost it but by the same logic MAY well have got it back together again. Or plunge into the wilderness of football management in the simple belief that it "can''t get any worse". Well it can get worse. And it did. And it''s just chance and luck that things have turned around again.[/quote]I''m certainly not saying that Nigel was doing brilliantly BUT, for some of us, he had enough in his favour (play-offs, promotion, Huckerby, Gary Holt, regaining the Pride of Anglia etc) to be worth NOT waging a personal war against in favour of getting anybody - just ANYBODY - in his place. And that''s all the WO movement was. It was an object in removing one man. With absolutely no thought or regard as to who would replace him.

[quote user="The Butler"]

I would forget Earnshaw as he had a great contract that allowed him to scuttle off for more money asap. (I hope that was another peace of business that was Doncaster s fault)

[/quote]

Do you have a view from the other perspective then Butler? Or is your view the same as that article?

You see those comments from Worthington that you obviously feel balance the discussion were made months after the Worthy Out group was formed and even after the nCIsA statements calling for him to go. So they are hardly relevant to this discussion.

Or maybe you felt you needed to comment to show solidarity amongst pressure groups[:O]

[quote]I''m certainly not saying that Nigel was doing brilliantly BUT, for some

of us, he had enough in his favour (play-offs, promotion, Huckerby, Gary

Holt, regaining the Pride of Anglia etc) to be worth NOT waging a

personal war against in favour of getting anybody - just ANYBODY - in

his place. And that''s all the WO movement was. It was an object in

removing one man. With absolutely no thought or regard as to who would

replace him.[/quote]I thoroughly agree with that Mook, as that was what made me oppose it in the first place.

But Nigel all I have said is what it was like from my perspective, I have tried to give my reasons for backing (and actively working for) the worthy out campaign.

You have given you view, which I respect but don''t agree with. There are a number facts (and they are facts) that you skip over, I will agree that when he came he did a very good job but..................He did revert to the long ball which as you know is alien to City''s heritage of Football. (and mine I hated it) I can remember one game when Green turned on the River End due to barracking about him kicking the ball out at every opportunity rather than playing it out.

He did turn of the fans, as written in that link, and you and I both know that it is nearing the end when a manager dismiss''s fans opinions or telling them they are not ''true'' fans because they left the ground rather than commend the team for a rubbish season. He was quick enough to take the adoration when we got promoted but dismiss the critisism when it all went wrong.

I remember a turning point for me (just one of a few!) was when he openly courted the Sheffield Wednesday job to put pressure on the board to improve his contract. Now I''m not saying it''s wrong to want more money but it does show him in a much clearer light.

Nigel, I have been sworen at, spat on and attacked physically for my views on Worthington (only by a few) so when you make fun of me reaching my limit over changes at the football, it does nothing for your arguement. The KTF''ers were very vocal and were not afraid to attack us when we raised our heads. I had a woman F''ing and blinding inside the ground when I put up a banner (worthy out) this was during the warm up and hurt no one but she took it upon herself to try and attack me. Another ''person'' spat over me and some children who were at the fore of the first march, where there was an estimated 1500 people outside the directors entrance. One man told my then 11 year old son to F... off when he was asked his opinion on whether he wanted Worthington to stay or go. Dont make light of that effort made by me and others. Alot of people spent a lot of time and money to get that campaign off the ground, whether you agreed or not. it was not done lightly.

In the end we all want what is best for our club. If we disagree it should be possible to do that without the b/s that goes with it.

Mtv,In the summer before NWs'' leaving, we only signed Lee Croft.  The Out campaign had gained a fair amount of momentum by then, why didn''t you use this to push for more signings ?  And why did the organisers make such a big deal of "not going after Delia" ?

I agree MTV. But let me just point out that I haven''t given you any b/s. If anything it''s the other way around. As I said to Butler, those Worthy words that you took offence to happened way after all the marches, protests, statements, petitions etc. So saying I skip over facts is a rather pot and kettle - wouldn''t you agree?

I didn''t spit at anyone, I didn''t tell anyone to F... off. I always stated my point of view and those people around be at the back of E-Block will testify to this. Some of them were of the same view as you but we didn''t spit at eachother! We still have the same "seats" now.

After getting rid of Worthy only proved to make things worse the same posters then turned on Delia. I disagreed with those too. And if you want to see how fellow fans are treated poorly look at the comments made to Myra Hawtree on her thread. Myra is a City fan of more years than probably anyone else on this board. She is famous for writing her article on her first away match at Arsenal in 1954. Yet she was rounded on here for daring to speak well of Delia Smith. It''s the same posters everytime and they always seem tyo need to have a scapegoat regardless if it''s logical or not. But they are entitled to their opinion as I am entitled to mine. And through it all, however much you may not like it, I will carry on giving my opinion and I will carry on backing that opinion up with the reasons I have formed it. And in no cases will this include b/s, spittingn or telling others to f... off. I am happy to debate the present, future or history of our club with anyone. None of the things you''re complaining about could be attributed to me which rather makes me think you are not happy to do the same.

[quote user="mtv"]

I remember a turning point for me (just one of a few!) was when he openly courted the Sheffield Wednesday job to put pressure on the board to improve his contract. Now I''m not saying it''s wrong to want more money but it does show him in a much clearer light.

[/quote]

Just when was this MTV?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Do you have a view from the other perspective then Butler? Or is your view the same as that article?

You see those comments from Worthington that you obviously feel balance the discussion were made months after the Worthy Out group was formed and even after the nCIsA statements calling for him to go. So they are hardly relevant to this discussion.

Or maybe you felt you needed to comment to show solidarity amongst pressure groups[:O]

[/quote]

As I don''t belonged to "a pressure group" showing solidaity to another fictitous pressure group would be difficult.

I believe that you need to look at the whole picture not a small window of it, hence the opposite view posted to yours.

My own views are that Worthy stayed too long and because of the relationship between DS and family and NW and family it was difficult for the "board" to remove him. He would not leave of his own volition , as I would not have done, because of monetary considerations. After all he did not know how long he would be unemployed for.

You cannot say that one players views are better that another, Hucks has openly stated his respect for Worthy, before the interview, so how unbiased is it?

Before you shout, I have no idea and am not accusing anybody BUT you sometimes see what you want rather than what is.

One other very small point, I think in the interview that Worthy said "he got rid of Roberts and Malky to freshen things up" which is slightly different from the view you expressed on another thread as to why Malky left.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As I don''t belonged to "a pressure group" showing solidaity to another fictitous pressure group would be difficult.

I believe that you need to look at the whole picture not a small window of it, hence the opposite view posted to yours.

My own views are that Worthy stayed too long and because of the relationship between DS and family and NW and family it was difficult for the "board" to remove him. He would not leave of his own volition , as I would not have done, because of monetary considerations. After all he did not know how long he would be unemployed for.

You cannot say that one players views are better that another, Hucks has openly stated his respect for Worthy, before the interview, so how unbiased is it?

Before you shout, I have no idea and am not accusing anybody BUT you sometimes see what you want rather than what is.

One other very small point, I think in the interview that Worthy said "he got rid of Roberts and Malky to freshen things up" which is slightly different from the view you expressed on another thread as to why Malky left.

[/quote]

How about a comment on the disgraceful personal campaign to remove Worthy rather than trying to justify it by bringing up other things.

Of course I see things the way they appear to me! Doesn''t everyone? But I certainly wasn''t the one who brought that Vitalfootball article on the thread? Something that had absolutely no bearing on the Worthy Out campaign. What''s that if it isn''t a case of seeing things as you want and igoring the facts?

Gallacher

Dublin Earnshaw

[/quote]there was mock cheering of QPR goals in Block D as they were celebrating like they had won the world cup! cant speak for others though...as for that team, Where is Gallagher now? or Colin? Doherty is a league 1 defender. Croft is a reserve team player at Derby. Where is Safri?thats a poor squad when you consider the quality we have now... Hucks and Dion apart.I never had any personal reasons for wanting Worthy out, he was always a person who came across as articulate and intelligent and willing to talk to fans when away from the ground.The issues i had were with his team selection, the length of time he took to make subs, his transfers, his unwillingness to walk away when it was apparent he was losing the battle...The board appointed his replacements and are to blame for them.... their selection policy and the managers that came in are for another time though... they could have done alot better... appointing out of work coaches and friends of Delias instead of tempting an up and coming manager (like Holloway or Tilson were at the time) from their club to us.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="mtv"]

[/quote]

Just when was this MTV?

[/quote]I vaguely remember it.  It was in the lines of him being asked if he was interested and he didn''t deny it.  Which rightly or wrongly made supporters suspicious.Whereas the few times Lambert has been asked about jobs in Scotland he has flat out said ''not interested''.

Nigel didn''t run out of ideas, he ran out of money and backing. If ever there was a time the players and himself needed that 12th man, then that was it. Reading some peoples comments though, anyone would think he was Satan rather than a man who gave us our greatest successes of recent years - no one greatful at all for that?. Interesting interview Darren, he remains the dignified gent as he always was, and i for one will remember him for the outstanding contribution he made to this club (when he was backed). I wonder how Sir Alex and Arsene would have coped under the same circumstances? Not any better i should imagine.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

still.. those who defended

him etc and feel he should still be here should bear 1 thing in mind..

it was the events of the Worthy Fiasco that got the ball rolling to

where we are today under Lambert... who seriously doesnt think we are

better off now?

[/quote]

Jas, that''s the biggest crock of b****cks I''ve read on this thread yet!

Do you REALLY think we were guaranteed something better after we got rid

of Worthy? We have stumbled, due to fortune and mainly Gunn''s

ineptitude, upon Lambert at exactly the right time. I direct you to the bit at the end of my post:

[/quote]so blame the board... we could have had better than Worthy but their incompetence and unwillingness to appoint someone who wasn''t either a friend of Delias or out of work (and a football manager is out of work for a reason!) led to Grant, Duffy, Roeder, Gunn...when we fired Worthy why didn''t we approach Plymouth for Holloway? Southend for Tilson?If David McNally hadnt have been here do you really HONESTLY think Bryan Gunn would have been sacked, and if he was then we would have gone for a manager currently in work to prise them away?

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Is this thread worth opening up old scars? What''s done is done.
[/quote]

The answer lays with the person who has made 20 posts on this thread.I got angry when way back on page two i read about petitions stickers and marches because up until now i always thought this certain poster laid the blame for Worthington''s demise firmly at the door of NCISA and the St Andrews Hall rebel rousing meeting.( that is what he would call it).As NCISA played no part in petitions,stickers and marches the irony of what he is now running on painfully about is not lost on me.

Silly Sausage you are right that what is done is done but it is such a shame that a certain somebody just keeps the pot boiling by trying to convince one and all that there is just his perspective that is correct and the only one that counts.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Is this thread worth opening up old scars? What''s done is done.
[/quote]

The answer lays with the person who has made 20 posts on this thread.I got angry when way back on page two i read about petitions stickers and marches because up until now i always thought this certain poster laid the blame for Worthington''s demise firmly at the door of NCISA and the St Andrews Hall rebel rousing meeting.( that is what he would call it).As NCISA played no part in petitions,stickers and marches the irony of what he is now running on painfully about is not lost on me.

Silly Sausage you are right that what is done is done but it is such a shame that a certain somebody just keeps the pot boiling by trying to convince one and all that there is just his perspective that is correct and the only one that counts.

[/quote]

And as ever here''s the post that makes it a personal issue about me. It had to come and it had to be Tilly.

What''s the point of being on this thread if you have no wish to discuss the issues arising from his interview?