Sign in to follow this  
hucks@dh6.co.uk

Hucks Meets Nigel Worthington on www.dh6.co.uk

Hi all, Nigel Worthington interview is now up on www.dh6.co.uk , hope you all find it as interesting as i did, hopefully a few Questions answered and a few more topics to discuss http://www.dh6.co.uk/s6a1n77p1/Nigel-Worthington.html not sure link works on here if someone could put it on that would be much appreciated

Hucks

Very good, I think we all knew that he wasn''t supported at the right times and that if we allowed to buy the players he wanted to, then it would be different. We all know about the Worthy out brigade and their behaviour and attitude towards him.

Interesting. It is quite clear by reading that, he puts a lot of blame on the board and particularly Neil Doncaster. Got to be thankful that we have finally got a Chief Executive in place that actually understands Football.

Thanks for doing that Hucks.

The guy''s a legend and I hope this goes someway to rectifying the damege done to his reputation by those who made up so much stuff to discredit him during his last year at the club.

What was really interesting was the point Hucks made about feeling like some fans were just waiting for the team to lose. I''m sure this put enormous pressure on the players and having fans marching, the stickers and petitions outside the ground must have affected results.

We did start that last season extremely well and Huck''s injury was a huge blow. I went to that Plymouth game and we were poor but the big players always seemed to put in a shift for the manager. Earnie was still trying right ''til the end at Plymouth that day and did the same in the Burnley game as did Hucks. If I could have nutty meets Hucks I would ask him if he was fit for that Burnley game or did he feel he had to be fit to do what he could for his manager?

I always maintained Worthy wanted Ashton in the summer.He said as much when he wasn''t given the money to get in Howard. Something along the lines of the board needing to be proactive and not reactive in the transfer market. Dignified as ever Worthy recognises that what''s important now is that the same mistakes aren''t made again.

The guy will always be a legend in my eyes.

i wasn''t 100% in the Burnley match but tried to get through it, i owed Nigel alot, he was also a good man they way he was treated by a small amount of fans was nothing short of disgraceful, hopefully this interview will help people understand the ins and outs a bit more

And those fans are still on here....

Look how well we done when he left, Grant, GR and then finally we get another decent one in Lambert.

Hucks, did you ever consider leaving when all the turd was going on with Worthy and did others?

I''d imagine time helps, but despite how things ended, you get the impression that he won''t have bad word said against anyone. Who could honestly say that they would be able to do the same in his position ?

Thanks for this Hucks, never really heard Worthington reflect on his time with us, so I read this with great interest.

I spent a lot of the time shaking my head at how the football club was being run at the time. Offering £300K for Howard after Derby had gone in at £500K and refusing the money for Ashton only to change their minds at Christmas. You have to think that would have been the difference in games like Blackburn when we couldn''t turn a 1-0 lead into a win (when they had ten men as well). There''s too many others to mention

Re: the Worthy out campaign. I was in the ''out'' camp after we got drummed away to Luton (4-0 down after about 30 minutes or something silly) and I agree that the campaign got too personal.

I think the point is that the board shouldn''t really have let it get that far and that he probably should have gone at the end of the 05-06 season. A lot of the frustration and subsequent protests etc were borne out of a belief that he wasn''t going to turn it around and you have to say that subsequent results seem to support that case? As he admitted himself, a club sometimes needs freshening up and that was certainly true of us. Just a thought? 

Replacing him with Grant, Roeder (spit) then Gunn is a completely different matter though.

As I said, hugely enjoy the inteviews and I''d love to see Dion, Fleming or McKenzie next. A Q&A with yourself would also be excellent.

Cheers and keep them coming.

In the interests of impartiality, perhaps we should have a "Hucks meets Neil Doncaster"Or perhaps not.[:)]

Poor old Worthy was never really given a chance to keep us in the prem because our board refused to part with enough money even when they did have some, four and a half million for wages and transfer fees was nowhere near enough considering we were in for a 30 odd million pound windfall.  He did well to get us to the last game still in with a chance of survival considering the lack of backing he recieved from the board. I remember thinking at the time of Worthys sacking that whoever the manager was they''d struggle to make much of an impact with the set up as it was then.

I think that shows Worthy as a decent honest man...

I hope he gets the chance to manage a half decent club soon, what can anyone do with NI nation team?

Another great read Hucks. Definitely feel a lot more for Worthy after reading it. For me, not signing Ashton in the summer was a big gaffe, so I''m quite surprised to find out he tried after all. Not surprised to hear it was Doncaster screwing us up the whole time mind...

Is it really too much to ask to try and get Roeder next? Failing that, fight him?

Great interview Hucks, got a couple of questions asked again thank you :) didn''t know we tried to sign Chopra during the Worthy reign, I think he would have been a fantastic acquisition...does anyone know when we went in for him?

[quote user="Gingerpele"] what can anyone do with NI nation team?[/quote]Beat England, Spain and Sweden and Draw with Germany under Lawrie Sanchez.

With a better team than Worthy has now.

Good man Hucks, I can imagine that if you had gone, there would have been so much uproar, it would have hell.

I was never really part of the Worthy Out camp, but by then end I wanted it to end, because when such a vocal group are so set against the manager, it''s just going to get worse.Real shame though. What annoys me is the board (Namely Doomcaster) taking the piss with that £300k offer etc to a manager who has a PROVEN track record of success when given a little bit of money. That''s not what really annoys me. If the money wasn''t there, it wasn''t there. What really annoys me is the fact that the money obviously was there. They just didn''t want to give it to him and instead they saved it for a completely inexperienced and unproven manager to waste next season (David Marshall, Darrell Russell, Jamie Cureton etc)

Best Interview by far Darren so far...cracking insight into the actual club.

Nigel speak with great dignity and for a man that was treated disgracefully by a few minority fans towards the end (I incidentally felt the time had come for worthy to go but certainly didn''t join in the protests) always speaks well of the club.

The one point that is massively clear though is the prudence and no ambition of Mr Doncaster.

Top interview, great answers from Nigel, good luck with Northern Ireland and looking forward to the next.

Great read Hucks.

I''ve got some questions for you.

You said you wouldn''t have left Norwich no matter what went on. A lot of players come to this club and stay after their playing days have finished. What is the attraction for you to stay here? Is it the area, the people or both?

Most people love where they live, and I am like most on here Norwich born and bred. I love the city, the countryside, the broads and the coast. Have you and your family explored it all? and does that appeal to you and your family?

I am interested in this because, we (the fans) often hear rumours that certain players'' wives and families love it here or don''t as the case may be. So it is nice to get the chance to ask if this had any influence on you staying.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Great read Hucks.

I''ve got some questions for you.

You said you wouldn''t have left Norwich no matter what went on. A lot of players come to this club and stay after their playing days have finished. What is the attraction for you to stay here? Is it the area, the people or both?

Most people love where they live, and I am like most on here Norwich born and bred. I love the city, the countryside, the broads and the coast. Have you and your family explored it all? and does that appeal to you and your family?

I am interested in this because, we (the fans) often hear rumours that certain players'' wives and families love it here or don''t as the case may be. So it is nice to get the chance to ask if this had any influence on you staying.

[/quote]

I forgot to ask, I am right in saying that Nigel still has a property in North Norfolk?

I loved the place and the people, but of course playing in front of everybody at Carrow road was the biggest factor, think Nigel lives near Holt, hope you all enjoyed the interview, still think they are very unique!

[quote user="hucks"]I loved the place and the people, but of course playing in front of everybody at Carrow road was the biggest factor, think Nigel lives near Holt, hope you all enjoyed the interview, still think they are very unique![/quote]They are brilliant, and must be dragging people in droves to your site!I think its cool that you are genuine about how you feel about Norwich City and the fans and people, you see it all too often when players are kissing the badge one minute, and offski as soon as someone waves a fat cheque at them!Is it true that bids were received for you from Prem clubs when we were relegated?

Really interesting interview there - basically a bit more cash invested at crucial times could''ve made all the difference.

I''d love a Hucks meets Bryan Gunn interview - just to get the run down of what went on post Glenn Roeder (the 6 months to League 1, the preseason with a dozen signings (including paying a quarter of a million for that Simon Whalley), that Colchester match and then that Yeovil match, and how he feels about Norwich after it all.

A really excellent read and Worthy comes out from it with a lot of credit. Like many, I felt that the time was right for Worthy to go (I remember watching the Burnley game on the very first day of my 2nd year at Uni and thinking that it was going to happen very, very quickly), but the campaign was getting ridiculous. So many made it personal (and many of the same have made their little Delia Out campaign equally personal).

Really interesting read, anyway.

So 30 odd million from Prem payments, then parachute payments, millions from player sales and only a 4 and a half million budget in the season in the prem. Yet the debt is larger than ever so where exactly did about 50 million go? Always felt had he been given the backing things would have been very different.

Good interview Hucks, I''ve always wanted to hear his side of the story and always thought him to be a decent man.

Lots of insight into how difficult and enjoyable football management can be.