Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

are we a 1 horse team

It''s not just his goals we miss, it''s his presence which lifts the whole side.  We''re not a one man team but he is our talisman and the heartbeat of the side, and there''s nobody who can lead the team in his absence.

[quote user="city till i die"]cant compete without the big guy......

discuss[/quote]LOL you really dont know anything about football do you ! Week in week out you make the daftest posts mate !The supply wasnt there today and we did not take our chances, Chris Martin got very unlucky with his header.We lost the game as opposed to being beaten by a bunch of sailors !!!

oh here he come''s the internet know it all....!!!

show me some facts, when holts not in the team we are sh1te. Watford start of the season rubbish!! few times last season when he wasnt there we lost or struggled!!!

the supply was there...your telling me if holt wasnt in the team today, we would of lost.... i dont think so!!

Whether it is realistic or not, I believe we need a man in (on loan or permanent), someone very similar to Ishmael Miller.

[quote user="city till i die"]oh here he come''s the internet know it all....!!!

show me some facts, when holts not in the team we are sh1te. Watford start of the season rubbish!! few times last season when he wasnt there we lost or struggled!!!

the supply was there...your telling me if holt wasnt in the team today, we would of lost.... i dont think so!![/quote]

Saying if Holt was in means we would have won is frankly retarded as we will never know will we.... Hull, Crystal Palace ?! Both very simialr sloggy games against teams that showed up for a draw and snuck wins. Same as today, Holt''s pressence would maybe have made a difference granted but to say " We would not have lost" with him in the team is barmy mate.Im about to go to the pub then grab a curry so I will not be here to tell you how it is all evening :( Sorry,  and can''t honestly be bothered either, just think before you post mate thats all :)

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="city till i die"]oh here he come''s the internet know it all....!!! show me some facts, when holts not in the team we are sh1te. Watford start of the season rubbish!! few times last season when he wasnt there we lost or struggled!!! the supply was there...your telling me if holt wasnt in the team today, we would of lost.... i dont think so!![/quote]

Saying if Holt was in means we would have won is frankly retarded as we will never know will we.... Hull, Crystal Palace ?! Both very simialr sloggy games against teams that showed up for a draw and snuck wins.
Same as today, Holt''s pressence would maybe have made a difference granted but to say " We would not have lost" with him in the team is barmy mate.

Im about to go to the pub then grab a curry so I will not be here to tell you how it is all evening :( Sorry,  and can''t honestly be bothered either, just think before you post mate thats all :)

[/quote]

You''ve picked a coupe of games we lost with Holt playing well done, But can you pick a game we''ve won without Holt?

Yeh, and Lansbury, Fox and Crofts were playing out of thier skins mate ;)Jacksons finishing was top rate and Chris Martin couldnt hit a barn door with his 2 shots, What on Earth was that defender doing when he was challenging him ?!? He shoulda been skinned at the D looking to see what Green and Yellow Blur had just shot past him.We deffinatly miss Holt but to say we are weaker FACT is kinda retarded mate :)

[quote user="city till i die"]cant compete without the big guy......

discuss[/quote]

Don''t do discuss!

Are you a school teacher?

Ok we lost without Holt but Jackson and Martin didn''t get the service to their feet which is where both of them play better. The ball kept getting lumped up towards the strikers when the rest of the team were well aware that our target man was not on the pitch. Also we squandered chances when we had the opportunities to score. Wes created a lot in midfield but the space and quickness wasn''t generated by others to take advantage.Crofts, unfortunately, didn''t have the required leadership qualities we needed today; maybe in the future. As discussed on another thread, Holt is so much more than a goalscorer but as a team we cannot rely solely on his presence to win matches. Yes, he makes a huge impact on the game irrespective of him scoring or not but we have other players with talents that we need to nuture and use properly when Holt''s not available. The rest of the team need to remember to change the style of play when Holt''s absent from the pitch.We used to make the same mistakes when Iwan wasn''t playing; still lump it forward for the target man ..... who wasn''t there!!!

We probably do rely on Holt a bit too much but you can''t blame today on that.

Today was a very good performance but we just simply didn''t take our chances and win.  We created enough chances today aswell, Jackson had one and then another from a corner, Chris Martin had two good eforts and towards the end Ward had a good header from a corner which looked like it was going in which took a deflection at the last moment.  They were there for the taking today and we were playing well enough to take the oppurtunity but we just didn''t take it.  And you can''t say Holt would have scored one of those chances because he wasn''t there so you just can''t say it.

We did miss Holt today but the performance was good enough to win the game and we just didn''t score.

Did we miss Holt? The team played well, the chances were created but the strikers while able to work themselves into good positions did not take the chances they had.

Martin forced good saves from the keeper.

Good performance, wrong result.

Why not blame lambert - he is a distraction for the players while in the touch line - get back in teh stands!!

We missed Holt big time today, some of our football was excellent but you never really felt the strikers we had on the pitch were going to score. Holty would have given them more to think about and I think he''d have scored with the header Jackson missed from the corner in the first half. Daylight robbery that pompey won that game, we were far better than them for much of the game and I find it hard to believe they had more posession than us. They hardly had a kick in the first half and didn''t exactly seem to dominate the second half either.

We missed Holt in that the Pompey centre backs would not have such a cosy afternoon, and now you see why I want him to stop picking up so many silly yellow cards, Lets be honest had we taken at least one of the four decent chances in the first half it would have all been so different, Personally I am not going to have a go at the team, the played OK, just got undone by a sucker punch, unfortunately that is football for you....

Bloody annoying when you are the much better team and lose it like that at the end, I''d say pompey and Hull were the worst two teams to come here this season and they both won 2-0.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Holt''s absence certainly exposed Chris Martin''s poor work rate. [/quote]

Yes, that''s a fact.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Yeh, and Lansbury, Fox and Crofts were playing out of thier skins mate ;)
Jacksons finishing was top rate and Chris Martin couldnt hit a barn door with his 2 shots, What on Earth was that defender doing when he was challenging him ?!? He shoulda been skinned at the D looking to see what Green and Yellow Blur had just shot past him.

We deffinatly miss Holt but to say we are weaker FACT is kinda retarded mate :)
[/quote]

Its anything but retarded! We simply dont win when he doesnt play! Are you retarded?

Hes the only guy in the team we haven''t got a like for like replacement for!

When all the Holt knockers were out in force earlier in the season, I couldn''t believe the ignorance cause Holt was never going to get 30 goals this season and his qualities go far beyond the goals he scores. His physical presence making things uncomfortable for defenders and ability to hold up the ball are assets we miss when hes not playing!

That said we had enough opportunities to of been at least 2-0 up at half time yesterday and not taking our chances cost us dearly. At half time after our dominance I was concerned that the game would be a de ja vu of the Hull game and that was proved correct in the end!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Its anything but retarded! We simply dont win when he doesnt play! Are you retarded?

[/quote]I deffinatly agree we miss him ! But I would not say we cant win without him !

Holt''s talent of pulling defenders out of position to the flanks was sorely missed against Portsmouth.

Chris Martin was decent but didn''t win much airborne stuff - and Simeon Jackson did little to note.

Why continue to pump high balls into the centre forward position when Holt''s not playing? If we need height it might be a good idea to stick 6'' 4" of Owain Tudor Jones up there...

To say we are a one man team is very harsh on the rest of the squad. We have done superbly to get to where we are and promotion is a real possibility. But you certainly feel alot more confident when he is in the team. We just don''t have a like for like replacement.

[quote user="JF"]To say we are a one man team is very harsh on the rest of the squad. We have done superbly to get to where we are and promotion is a real possibility. But you certainly feel alot more confident when he is in the team. We just don''t have a like for like replacement.[/quote]

I agree.  We miss him badly when he is not there but we still have players who can do the job and without Holt playing obviously has a massive effect on them.  When Holt is out there is an enormous amount of pressure on the guy replacing him and that can''t help their confidence and performance.

I knocked Holt earlier on this season and I still stand by that because he was performing badly but now he is playing so well.  11 goals this season already, I take my hat off to him[:)]

Holt makes a great difference to our side. As most people acknowledge our problem is not having a ready made back up for him.

To those critics who complain his form was not good earlier in the season, I believe it will come out at some time that Holt played when he was no where near fit enough because Lambo asked him to.

Holt is a top bloke, a true professional, a pain for every opposing defender and a brilliant captain. To cap that, what an entertainer he is with his antics, especially today with his goal celebrations. Bloody brilliant.