Sign in to follow this  
3canaries

Smith out, Crofts out - Formation dilemma....

The natural choice to replace Smith, would be Lappin, but Lappin is integral to the Diamond Formation. Though Lambertt moved Martin to left back and dropped Korey to Right Back

So, will it be 4-4-2, or the Diamond?

My guess....

Ruddy

R Martin Ward Barnett Lappin

K Smith Fox Gill

Hoolahan

Holt Jackson

We''re down to the bare bones......!

Subs

Rudd

Martin

Askou

Johnson

Dawkin

Daley

Ball

Habergham

(by naming an 8th substitute, that''s ALL our fit players....!!!)

Personally I would play the following v Millwall on the assumption that neither Drury os Smith will be fit and its too soon for Surman to come back:

Ruddy

Martin Ward Barnett Lappin

Macnamee Smith Fox Martin

Hoolahan

Holt

I know Martin is not a winger but I think he can do a job there for one game. Lambert seems to have been playing down Surman''s fitness but i do wonder if he is a closer to a return than he is letting on. Someone on the wrath who watched training last week said he was sprinting and doing most things.

If that is what we have to choose from tomorrow evening then I think Lambo will really be earning his money to come away from the Den with some points.  On the plus side the Millwall fans are very concerned that they are going to be missing Steve Morison.  So I would go for getting the defence right and us scoring goals on the break.For me I would go something like...                           Rudd        Korey, Barnett, Ward, R.Martin                             Gill Fox  Hoolahan/Hughes (if fit?)  McNamee/Lappin                 Jackson   C.MartinSubsRuddyHolt (bring him on for either Jackson or Martin after 60 mins as I am sure that he will be ineffective against Ward & Robinson otherwise).Lappin or McNamee (really not sure which one of these to start)AskouJohnsonDaleyDawkinWhatever we choose to do though, we are looking painfully short of ball winners in the midfield, or looking stretched with players out of position at the back.  I would certainly be happy with a point!

Possibly this:

Ruddy

R.Martin     Barnett   Ward    Lappin

K.Smith

McNamee                       C.Martin

Holt       Jackson

[quote user="canary_girl"]

Possibly this:

Ruddy

K.Smith

Holt       Jackson

[/quote]

Forgot Hoolahan behind strikers

[quote user="canary_girl"][quote user="canary_girl"]

Possibly this:

Ruddy

K.Smith

Holt       Jackson

[/quote]

Forgot Hoolahan behind strikers

[/quote]

Way too attacking, Korey would get overrun.

I posted on another thread barnett could move forward and help out in midfield, korey drop to right back and russell martin in the middle, something like.ruddyk.smith r.martin ward smithfox barnett lappinmcnamee/holt/martinwe need someone who canr ead the player and get their foot on the ball, leon is our best shout to me.

[quote user="3canaries"]The natural choice to replace Smith, would be Lappin, but Lappin is integral to the Diamond Formation. Though Lambertt moved Martin to left back and dropped Korey to Right Back

So, will it be 4-4-2, or the Diamond?

My guess....

Ruddy

R Martin Ward Barnett Lappin

K Smith Fox Gill

Hoolahan

Holt Jackson

We''re down to the bare bones......!

Subs

Rudd

Martin

Askou

Johnson

Dawkin

Daley

Ball

Habergham

(by naming an 8th substitute, that''s ALL our fit players....!!!)[/quote]Already been a post on this, however I agree with your line up pretty much.Only change I would make is Gill playing as the Defensive Mid rather than Fox and Chris Martin in for Jackson based on his muscle.Jackson should be used with Macnamme for Shock value around the 60 - 70 + mark. :)Diamond all the way !

"Way too attacking, Korey would get overrun."

True, just have to make sure we out score them [:)]

---------------------Ruddy------------------

---R Martin--Barnett--Ward--Lappin---

------------------------Fox--------------------

-------------K Smith------McNamee--------

----------------------Hoolahan---------------

----------------Jackson------Holt---------------

Crofts is a massive miss and it concerns me that when he comes back he will be only one booking away from another suspension which might be against Leeds or Ipswich when we would need him most.

But besides this I have a strange liking for these sorts of situations because it often brings forwards an inspired game from someone else and can galvanise the players into a siege mentality. Many is the time we have got surprise results in such circumstances and I would not be surprised if we went to Millwall and won.

I would similarly not be surprised if we went to Millwall and got hammered! Missing our player of the season so far, injuries across the park, misfiring strike-force, under pressure goalkeeper...a 4-0 defeat is on the cards.

If we can snatch a 1-0 or a 2-1, it will be fantastic. I don''t think Millwall are this hard-hitting, physical side people talk about. If we get their fans on their back, we could get something from the game.

I think this will be the most likely;

Ruddy

R.Martin           Barnett         Ward         Lappin

Gill

K.Smith                Fox

Hoolahan

Holt                     Jackson

I would be happy to see this team played with McNamee coming on in the second half to do what he did on Saturday.

[quote user="Largey"]I would similarly not be surprised if we went to Millwall and got hammered! Missing our player of the season so far, injuries across the park, misfiring strike-force, under pressure goalkeeper...a 4-0 defeat is on the cards. If we can snatch a 1-0 or a 2-1, it will be fantastic. I don''t think Millwall are this hard-hitting, physical side people talk about. If we get their fans on their back, we could get something from the game.[/quote]

Me neither.  And this is why I think we can play the diamond for this game.  However on Saturday vs Reading I think I would prefer a 4-4-2 formation.

And like you I see us getting hammered!