Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Crofts suspension

Sure this has been discussed further down (although i can''t see a thread - sorry if am being blind) but cant help being a little worried that we could end up missing Crofts (our most important player at present) for one of the really big games coming up. Millwall away will be tough enough without him but I still think we can get something there. As I understand it though the effect of his red card is that he remains on 4 yellows and so is just one yellow away from a further suspension and with the home games against leeds and scum coming up him missing one of those games would be disastrous, particularly the latter!

On a slightly different not anyone think the 5 booking suspension rule is a bit harsh given the number of games they play these days and the card happy refs? I wonder if maybe the number should be increased to stop all these harsh suspensions.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Sure this has been discussed further down (although i can''t see a thread - sorry if am being blind) but cant help being a little worried that we could end up missing Crofts (our most important player at present) for one of the really big games coming up. Millwall away will be tough enough without him but I still think we can get something there. As I understand it though the effect of his red card is that he remains on 4 yellows and so is just one yellow away from a further suspension and with the home games against leeds and scum coming up him missing one of those games would be disastrous, particularly the latter!

On a slightly different not anyone think the 5 booking suspension rule is a bit harsh given the number of games they play these days and the card happy refs? I wonder if maybe the number should be increased to stop all these harsh suspensions.

[/quote]In principle it might be better, but imo the standard of refereeing should get looked at in some cases.

I think the 5 booking suspension rule is a little too strict too. However, i can only feel that if the number was increased, players will only be booked for ''petty fouls'' etc.

Nonetheless, we can hope that Crofts behaves himself against Leeds, so he can run riot against Ipswich. That''s the game where we need him most.

It makes me angry that referees dish out cards willy-nilly but then when it comes to the really bad fouls do nothing. Cardiff should have had Bothroyd sent off against Leeds which would have meant that he was suspended against us, and then yesterday yet another horrendous Cardiff tackle went unpunished, amongst others. They really do seem to be getting an easy ride. [:@]

i''d like to see a rule where if a player can go 5 games without a yellow card then they have one chalked off their tally for the season.

The whole disciplinary system is unfair. The players get punished but the clubs who are "sinned against" often don''t get compensated. To my mind players should only be suspended for misconduct or wreckless and dangerous play. A sinbin system for other offences would ensure that the player is punished and the club, who were put at a disadvantage by the foul or deliberate handball, would benefit from the punishment.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The whole disciplinary system is unfair. The players get punished but the clubs who are "sinned against" often don''t get compensated. To my mind players should only be suspended for misconduct or wreckless and dangerous play. A sinbin system for other offences would ensure that the player is punished and the club, who were put at a disadvantage by the foul or deliberate handball, would benefit from the punishment.

[/quote]Spot on Nigel, its something Ive been banging on about for years. It should be obvious to everyone by now that the present system does not represent natural justice.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Sin bins I like the idea of - but that would never happen in association football.  It''s too "american".
[/quote]

We only need a couple more American owners in the prem and you never know!

If we asked Mr. Erikson would he say Ulrika?

I think we should keep the yellow and red cards system the same...my other thought would be that if you get sent off against a team in the first half of the season (like Crofts did on Sat) you should be suspended not three days later but for the reverse fixture?

Secondly, I agree that Crofts will be missed against Millwall. Just the sort of game he would get stuck into; what a quality signing he is turning out to be. How he was on loan at Wrexham two years ago and basically cast aside by Gillingham...I do not know!

My other concern is that he is still on 4 yellows as the yellow turned to a red - if he gets booked against Reading or Leeds on his return he will miss either one of the Leeds or scum games...which would definitely be a blow! Still, wouldn''t want to take the competetiveness out of his game.

My question is, is he the best box-to-box we have had since Francis?