Sign in to follow this  
anothatracksuitmanager

barnett in centre midfielder

Strong in the tackle, reads the game well and can play the ball around, might it be an option to try leon in centre midfield this week with crofts out.  Askou could drop into the middle of defence or even russell martin with korey dropping back to right back.

No.

Can we not (as much as possible) play people in their best positions, especially when we''re pushed enough as it is?

Barnett in CM would be a disaster in my opinion. However, I think K.Smith actually improved when he went to RB and R.Martin filled in very ably at LB, so would consider that option.

Fox, Gill, Hoolahan, Lappin in midfield for me. Chris Martin and Holt up-front.

[quote user="anothatracksuitmanager"] 

barnett in centre midfielder

[/quote]That''s quite a serious allegation to make...........

[:$][:S]

[;)]

oh dear unfortunate typo:) don''t sue me leon:)I still think it is an option, we will really look weak without Crofts, I''m a big fox fan but he is not a ball winner, against millwall we need to get the foot on the ball.  Just a thought.

Barnett is a class Centre Back.... its been awhile since we had a solid pairing why want to shove one upfield ?If anything i think Barnett needs some offensive corner training.The amount of attempts Barnett gets on his Barnett could well net us a few goals :)

[quote user="anothatracksuitmanager"]Strong in the tackle, reads the game well and can play the ball around, might it be an option to try leon in centre midfield this week with crofts out.  Askou could drop into the middle of defence or even russell martin with korey dropping back to right back.
[/quote]

Bad enough moving Barnett into midfield but you really would put Askou back in the centre of our defence omg. Certain players with certain names seem to give people short memories. 

just a suggestion guys I rate barnett highly as a defender but the options are slim in midfield.  I respect people who think say we don''t want to lose him in defence and argue your point, but some people are little arrogant in their opinions.  Some psoters just writing oh dear oh dear, and oh my god.  It was a valid footballing suggestion that frankly none of us have clue whether it would work or not.It wasn''t like I suggested we put declan rudd in midfield or something, sometimes it is a waste space of posting on here you offer ideas and you get treated like an idiot.    

No Way!

I went to the Stoke away game the year before they went up and Grant tried to play Doherty in the holding role, we lost 5-0!

I know Barnett is better than Doherty but central defenders are usually just good at a couple of things; heading, tackling and hoofing.  Playing the ball out of defence is totally different to being able to play in midfield and be a good passer.

Are you Nana in disguise?

Rediculous suggestions, Barnett is not a ''footballer'' He''ll win balls in the air all day long, be big and strong and defensivly sound, but in Centre midfield??

No Thank You!

[quote user="anothatracksuitmanager"]just a suggestion guys I rate barnett highly as a defender but the options are slim in midfield.  I respect people who think say we don''t want to lose him in defence and argue your point, but some people are little arrogant in their opinions.  Some psoters just writing oh dear oh dear, and oh my god.  It was a valid footballing suggestion that frankly none of us have clue whether it would work or not.It wasn''t like I suggested we put declan rudd in midfield or something, sometimes it is a waste space of posting on here you offer ideas and you get treated like an idiot.     [/quote]That''s because you''re being an idiot... Play our best (without question) CB in a crofts role? I doubt he''s the best passer, and he''s a fantastic CB! You are mental... What an awful post.Fox has been impressive I think, and should play the fox role. He can pass and he is energetic. This is like playing Holt CB, because he is big? Please think about posting before you have a cry because people are giving you criticism for awful posts....

Awful post.

On the other hand, how about Holty in the goals? Ruddy doesn''t command his area apparently, and Holt is 6 feet plus. And he likes diving, surely it''s worth a go???

yup sutton and dublin were shocking when they moved around positions weren''t they.  I''ll respect all your opinions but kindly do the same to mine.  Unless you make every training session don''t think you know every thing that will and won''t work about city.  It might not work but don''t think to presume you know everything, what an arrogant board this has become.

OK, you''ve forced me to answer sensibly to this ridiculous opinion now.

At this level, a player will have trained in a position for most of their lives. The intricacies of which, it is hoped, they learn. Some players do indeed have a number of positions which they have trained at for different teams etc. Unless you have prior knowledge of Barnett doing so, your argument is fatally flawed and rightly the subject of ridicule.

You can''t just put a player of this standard into a position foreign to them and expect a good outcome. As preciously mentioned, life is not like a computer game. It''s real.

I bet Lionel Messi is a s*** centre half!

muddy you make fair points.  I''m not sure it is as mad as you think, yaya toure is an example of a player who can play both at a push.  In addition barnett has played centre midfield before according to wiki.Anyway matt gill or fox will play so nobody has to panic lambert knows what he''s doing, I''ll get back to my champ manager as you all so kindly suggest.

Chris Sutton was a defender until a certain someone came up with idea of trying him upfront.  What a disaster that turned out to be[:^)]

Thierry Henry was a winger until that short sighted Arsenal manager decided to try him up front and look how that turned out!

OP, stop posting utter rubbish.  You should be ashamed![:@]

[quote user="Muddy funster"] OK, you''ve forced me to answer sensibly to this ridiculous opinion now. At this level, a player will have trained in a position for most of their lives. The intricacies of which, it is hoped, they learn. Some players do indeed have a number of positions which they have trained at for different teams etc. Unless you have prior knowledge of Barnett doing so, your argument is fatally flawed and rightly the subject of ridicule. You can''t just put a player of this standard into a position foreign to them and expect a good outcome. As preciously mentioned, life is not like a computer game. It''s real. I bet Lionel Messi is a s*** centre half![/quote]

Muddy I''d happily pay a few quid to watch Messi play for City at Centre half![;)]

I''m surprised at you nbs - you miss out the glaringly obvious point about Sutton and Henry.....they had both played as strikers previously as part of their evolution from youngster to professional. You do realise that Walker didn''t just pick up the idea from nowhere and stick Sutton up front in a Nostradamus-esque premonition. He knew he''d done that job before and saw enough in him to think that it would be worth persisting with that role as opposed to his defensive role.

Henry was a striker UNTIL it was deemed he couldn''t finish well enough (!!!!!), due to his pace he was utilised on the wing. Wenger disagreed.

I am not taking anything away from the Managers, they had the vision to try something else and it worked.

By the way, Gary Doherty was another, so it didn''t always work.....

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I''m surprised at you nbs - you miss out the glaringly obvious point about Sutton and Henry.....they had both played as strikers previously as part of their evolution from youngster to professional. You do realise that Walker didn''t just pick up the idea from nowhere and stick Sutton up front in a Nostradamus-esque premonition. He knew he''d done that job before and saw enough in him to think that it would be worth persisting with that role as opposed to his defensive role. Henry was a striker UNTIL it was deemed he couldn''t finish well enough (!!!!!), due to his pace he was utilised on the wing. Wenger disagreed. I am not taking anything away from the Managers, they had the vision to try something else and it worked. By the way, Gary Doherty was another, so it didn''t always work.....[/quote]

Was going to say that as well Muddy. I know Barnett is more athletic than Doherty but the experiment of playing him in midfield against Reading was an absolute disaster and we got battered. I think we really need to play to our strengths against Millwall if we are to paper over the potential gaps in the team. So for me the strategy should be to keep Martin, Barnett and Ward where they are as they have been excellent this season. This is the sort of game where the back four will really need to step up to the plate if we are going to get anything.