Sign in to follow this  
charlies dad

reserves last night.

Upon conceding the third goal to Derby on the 75 minute mark, i ushered the kids out... and bumped into Nigel, who obviously had the same idea! Highlight of the evening, as the football stank, with some very very poor performances from certain individuals.

Well, i dont like naming youngsters, but Howlett had a nightmare. Mullers was going through the motions imo.. went off at half time, and Charlton didnt enjoy getting roasted on his first outing after injury by a very good right winger. Safri played, and put himself about as usual, and i was a little dissapointed in El ourgui, who was lightweight. Crow didnt turn up for a change. Eagle worked hard, and a young sub missed an absolute cert goal at 2-0. 2 kids at centre back did some good stuff, Junior isnt easy to play against. Cave-Brown, who i like the look of was off form... i was very dissapointed..

This really does not look good for the club in terms of our future stars!!! Derby field a comparatively young team but were clearly better than our equivalent. The worrying aspect is that if u look at the results of our youth team they r not good. I appreciate I don’t regularly follow them but results r poor and this is a results industry. I think that we r really hampered by the travelling distance of youth team players in terms of our location and that Norfolk does not have a great track record of producing good football players. I support youth policies but if it’s not producing is there value in it? The players that have come through in recent times (those affected by the rule changes so not the likes of Green) have been average and will probably make a living but not at our level, we r simply not producing the players we once were.

I have to say im very disappointed with the results of the academy. Weve just let three more youngsters go, and on the evidence of this season, we arent in any hurry to produce any good replacements. Willis, Howell and Smith all had ability, more than many on display last night, Henderson, Shackell, Jarvis etc are all on the periphary, but have failed to break through completely, and are at best only fringe players. Its beginning to look like the academy is a complete white elephant, expensive to run, and ultimately of no real value. Has this anything to do with Morgan getting dumped last season? are the poor returns his input? Its food for thought, because Derby kids looked better than ours.

yes, last night''s game was truly dire, the only bright point being charlton and safri lasted for an hour - the only impressive performance was eagle, but to be honest we were much the worst side out there, derby had us beat in every department.  It is now a long while since we have seen a convincing performance from the reserves

is this down to coaching or for the youngsters, no chance of playing in the first team.  Is the main role of the reserve team just to get injured players back to fitness - because this is the way it now looks!

I have never been a fan of Keith Webb and don''t want to blame him entirely, but given our league position and our resources, we should be able to match derby!

I think I had a better experience watching the reserves - I caught them beating Fulham 3 nil at Craven Cottage.

Lets remember that this season has been a big step up for the reserves, they were playing much smaller clubs last season. They have managed to hold their own in their league.

I think the likes of Jarvis, Shackell and Henderson haven''t had a chance in the first team not through lack of talent but through Worthys unwillingness to throw young players into a relegation dogfight (and obviously Hendo is injured long term). I especially like Jarvis, good first touch and what a great goal against Liverpool.

[quote]Upon conceding the third goal to Derby on the 75 minute mark, i ushered the kids out... and bumped into Nigel, who obviously had the same idea! Highlight of the evening, as the football stank, with so...[/quote]

I''m surprised that people haven''t been on here berating you for the heinous crime of leaving a reserve game early! Call yourself a proper fan etc, etc....

One thing I find quite objectionable is the unmerited criticism of the ''white elephant'' that is City''s youth / academy policy. There may be things wrong at the club, but that isn''t one of them.

Any batch of youngsters at any clubs academy is only ever going to produce one, or maybe two players of real quality - ie, Beckham and Mulryne coming through the same youth team at Man Utd. One goes on to captain England, the other settles into a more mundane career at a smaller club. No disrespect to Mullers, but the Beckhams are the exception rather than the rule.

The Norwich production line over the years has produced more than its fair share of quality - Sutton, Bellamy and now Greeno to name but three. It has also produced a lot of players who have happily carved out careers at lower levels - Cureton, Llwelyn, Broughton, Akinbiyi etc. Sadly, not everyone quite makes the grade. That''s how talent is - it''s rare. It has nothing to do with a poor youth policy.

The likes of Shackell, Jarvic, Hendo and Crow are on the fringes. They might stay there, or they might find themselves at Lincoln, or Southend, or Tranmere or wherever, playing professional football at the level their natural ability dictates.

That is not a bad youth policy. That''s life.

And when you do unearth the real gems - ie England''s number one for the next world cup (it will happen, trust me) - that justifies and explains all you need know about this alledged ''white elephant''.

Firstly ill cover the leaving early point.. some smartarse made a veiled comment as i sidled out, and got the rough edge of my tongue. Secondly to cover the ''objectionable'' point. Dont cite Llewellyn, Cureton, BROUGHTON? as proof that the academy works. Green was probably at the club before the inception of the Academy, as were all the players you piously mention. If you find honest opinionns so ''objectionable'' dont go on boards where opinions are the whole point of the exercise. Our opponents Monday night have produced a whole bunch of talented young players, (Spurs have just signed one) and England u21 and under 20 squads are well represented by DErby players... why not us.?