Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Glenn Roeder

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9170019.stm

I know its not strictly about current Norwich news. But how Glenn Roeder can speak to the media and still believe he has a credible opinion is just beyond me. With Darren Bent, Wayne Rooney and Jermaine Defoe all injured at the moment Andy Carroll is simply the best centre forward we have available regardless of what you think of his personal life, so he surely has to be selected for England.

Roeder has also claimed that it would send out the wrong signals to give Carroll a start. Who cares about the signals it sends out. You pick a team to win you a football match (something he isn''t familiar with). Carroll represents England''s best chance of doing that right now. In fact what signal does it send out if you don''t pick him based on current form and injuries. What does this man know about public relations anyway? He insulted the Norwich fans and showed a complete disregard for the long term security of the club.

Bit of a rant but it just annoys me to that people are still paying this idiot to have any sort of opinions on the game given that his track record is one of arrogance and abject failure.

I tried to post something similar earlier but couldn''t get it to go through.

I actually think that Roeder would be good in the director of football kind of role, sending Martin and Spillane to Luton was about the only decent thing he did while he was here I think. There''s two things that can''t be called into question when it comes to him in my opinion:

1) He is well respected by other people in the game (Wenger wanted him as academy director right?) and is probably quite good at a lot of things.

2) He is a dreadful man manager and therefore football manager.

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]

I actually think that Roeder would be good in the director of football kind of role, sending Martin and Spillane to Luton was about the only decent thing he did while he was here I think. There''s two things that can''t be called into question when it comes to him in my opinion:

1) He is well respected by other people in the game (Wenger wanted him as academy director right?) and is probably quite good at a lot of things.

[/quote]

We have all seen what he knows about football, thats why he helps his mrs in her horse training stables in Thirsk I believe.seems he knows a few old Nags as well

Do you think that he is speaking out against Carroll because he changed his mind about coming to Norwich...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2008/09/21/united-player-arrested-for-assault-on-woman-79310-21864394/

"In July, he was the target of a £1m bid by former Toon boss Glenn Roeder, who now manages Norwich City."

Even if we paid the £2m, it looks like it would have been a great deal.

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]

[/quote]

Wenger actually wanted Roeder as his Director of Football, and I think this is a role he would be well suited towards also.

I also think what Roeder has to say about Carroll is correct, to become a top player and maintain that form you need to have a lot of discipline, something Carroll lacks at the moment. He is playing well now, but without looking after himself he will soon burn out such as players like Pennant or Etherington.

[quote user="dhickl"]

Do you think that he is speaking out against Carroll because he changed his mind about coming to Norwich...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2008/09/21/united-player-arrested-for-assault-on-woman-79310-21864394/

"In July, he was the target of a £1m bid by former Toon boss Glenn Roeder, who now manages Norwich City."

Even if we paid the £2m, it looks like it would have been a great deal.

[/quote]Sorry, this was the one about changing his mind

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/roeder_wants_toon_striker_376471/index.shtml

Peter Harrison (Carroll''s agent): "Andy is certainly interested in Norwich"

"I''m going to sit down and assess the situation with Andy and talk it through, but a lot of it would depend on whether [Newcastle manager] Kevin Keegan gives it the go-ahead."

[quote user="leedscanary"]I must have missed Mr Roeder''s tenure as England manager[/quote]i still cant believe Roeder said that to a fan... i''d have replied right back with "it was right after yours mate... glorious reign that you had".. Roeder is a tit.

Sorry but this thread borders on the perverse.

Roeder is what he is. So what?

He is quite right about Carroll.  It is strange after all the hysteria on this board about Chris Martin that the Carroll situation is so ok with everyone. There were calls for him to be dropped etc but Carroll can do what he wants because the criticsm is voice by someoen we don''t like. that is beyond pathetic.

After Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Barton and Rooney, do we want the next generation to believe that they can be irresponsible scumbags and get away with it because they can deliver on the field or do we want a generation that is serious, professional and dedicated to being the best players they can be?  Football needs to clean up and Roeder is right that this is a good place to start.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Sorry but this thread borders on the perverse.

Roeder is what he is. So what?

He is quite right about Carroll.  It is strange after all the hysteria on this board about Chris Martin that the Carroll situation is so ok with everyone. There were calls for him to be dropped etc but Carroll can do what he wants because the criticsm is voice by someoen we don''t like. that is beyond pathetic.

After Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Barton and Rooney, do we want the next generation to believe that they can be irresponsible scumbags and get away with it because they can deliver on the field or do we want a generation that is serious, professional and dedicated to being the best players they can be?  Football needs to clean up and Roeder is right that this is a good place to start.

[/quote]

I am not trying to stir up the whole loanees and man management debate again I just think it is another example that the guy doesnt have a clue what he is on about. To be honest I really don''t think it matters what a footballer does off the pitch as long as he is doing the business on it. Most of the England team have done bizarre things Johnson (B & Q Toilet Seat), Terry (Alleged Affairs), Cole (Ditto), Rooney (Ditto) and Gerrard (Alleged Assault). Yet nobody would have an issue with them representing England if they are playing well at club level. There is no doubt that Carroll is the best English centre forward who is currently available in the Premier League. So me it would actually be perverse not to select him. I amazed that there are some people who still respect Roeder within the game. Truly frightening.

I must be one of the few people who hasn''t bothered to find out what Carroll has done. What ever it is, it wont surprise me, but why shouldn''t he fit in to the England set up?

What ever he has done I''m sure it would fit in nicely alongside drink drivers, speeders, club brawlers, drug cheats, kerb crawlers, adulterers and rapists. (allegedly)

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]

I must be one of the few people who hasn''t bothered to find out what Carroll has done. What ever it is, it wont surprise me, but why shouldn''t he fit in to the England set up?

What ever he has done I''m sure it would fit in nicely alongside drink drivers, speeders, club brawlers, drug cheats, kerb crawlers, adulterers and rapists. (allegedly)

[/quote]

According to Barton, England over time have only select ''the ''goody two shoes'' and won''t select the ''bad boys''.

Who do you reckon are the bad boys he''s talking about; apart from himself.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]

[/quote]

According to Barton, England over time have only select ''the ''goody two shoes'' and won''t select the ''bad boys''.

Who do you reckon are the bad boys he''s talking about; apart from himself.

OTBC

[/quote]He has a point - you''ll never see Lee Hughes, Marlon King or Luck McCormick in an England shirt.

Andy Carroll is without doubt one of the best 4 strikers available for this game. Him and Davies are the only two England strikers on form in the Premiership (correct me if I''m wrong)! While you''re at it, bring in Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton too!

Roedernowhere must surely one day learn that his opinions on absolutely anything are completely not wanted by anyone on planet earth!

No one likes or respects the t wat!

He''d be better just going of somewhere and leading a quiet life funded by the millions hes syphoned from clubs while masqueradigng as a football manager!