Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Midfield formation

We have two good ball winning/passing/goal scoring midfielders in Fox and Croft.

Are we sacrificing one of them just to play  Wes and the diamond?

Would we be better using those two in a centre midfield partnership?

Is it now time to have a closer look at the personel and reshape our formation

Obviously you can''t doubt Fox''s contribution last night, however overall you can''t say he''s done enough to cause a formation shake up at Wes'' expense? I think he''s been fairly anonymous in all his other performances and yes it was a thunderbolt last night, but by the same token are we going to drop Smith/Lappin to get Gill in the team for long throws only?

Interesting question Butler.Do we gain an advantage from the novelty of the diamond formation though ?  Doesn''t it usually take teams most of the first half to work out how to play against us ?  Shouldn''t we use Hoolahan initially, then bring one of Fox / Crofts on to join the other in a conventional 4-4-2 once the diamond loses its'' edge ?  Apologies for the analogy.

We didn''t really get a grip on the game at all last night until McNamee and Hoolahan went off. I think when Crofts isn''t available we shouldn''t go with the diamond as for me it only really works with him at the base. Without him I''d be tempted to go 4-4-2 with Lappin left, Smith and Fox in the middle and McNammee right. I can''t see how you fit Hoolahan into a 4-4-2 to be perfectly honest, and if we had Surman back and could put him on the left instead of Lappin we''d have the creativity we need anyway.

Gill did ok last night too, I wouldn''t have a problem with him stepping into the middle if needed. But we don''t have anyone else good enough to play that holding role if you ask me.

we should try a straight 433,

same defence as last night, obliviously when drury is back he goes in but for now.

midfield of korey crofts fox all strong ball winners with strengh going forward in crofts, and able to pick out a ball.

forwards, holt and martin with wes playing a lot higher up the pitch and linking up with the others.

[quote user="city till i die"]we should try a straight 433, same defence as last night, obliviously when drury is back he goes in but for now. midfield of korey crofts fox all strong ball winners with strengh going forward in crofts, and able to pick out a ball. forwards, holt and martin with wes playing a lot higher up the pitch and linking up with the others.[/quote]

Thats roughly what I was thinking.

Use Surman when he his fit as an alternative to Wes.