Sign in to follow this  
Nick Hammer

Away fan in the pinkun section - help!

I was sent a link to this site by a West Ham fan I know (one of many) who lives up in Norwich and was prompted to join the board to add my two peneth. First of all, in response to the person who suggested some sort of "City test" before membership was granted - your question as to who played full back against Milan doesn''t state right or left, I think I would be right in saying one Ian Culverhouse would have been at right back ably assisted by Mark Bowen at left (so bang goes that idea). By the way, don''t you think Efan should have scored when through one on one with the Milan keeper?

It''s always the same when a big game comes up and tickets are scarce, people who wont be at the game against Gillingham whinge about not getting a ticket. Matters were not helped by the fact that Norwich were only able to give an allocation of 2000 tickets to a team that regularly takes a minimum of 3000 away. I myself have a West Ham season ticket and was lucky enough to get a ticket from West Ham, had I not then I personally would have been prepared to try and get a ticket in any part of the ground, as I did when we played you in a pre season friendly a couple of years ago - that night I and four others sat in what I believe is the City stand, there were loads of empty seats.

The short answer to all this is that if you want to guarantee seeing your team get a season ticket, before they are top of the league!

As the yellow side of Nick the hammers family (I tried to convince him otherwhise but he still supports West Ham!) it would be intersting to know how many of our present contributors have been to as many Norwich games as Nick!

On the subject of where you sit I would sit in any part of most teams grounds to support Norwich (possibly with the exception of Millwall and Ipswich!). If you want to see the game and are a true fan then it matters not where you sit but that you support your team. I well remember watching the semi-final of Euro 96 in with the Germans with many other England fans. I got my ticket (through my brother before he pipes up) from a German. There weren''t many Germans complaining about the English at the time as I seem to remember they were getting a lot of money for their surplus tickets.

As for season tickets, I endorse what Nick says. Like him with West Ham I have supported Norwich through thick and thin. I have been to nearly every home game for more than 30 years and am continuing the tradition with my two boys having season tickets also. There are those that just want to see the so called big games and the rest of us that are there all the time.
Jem

some of us live far away from noriwch,and can only get to away games.on the rare occasions that i am in norfolk it would be nice to be able to get a ticket,so as much as i agree with most of what you say,i think it is unfair to say '' get a season ticket when you weren''t so good''.i have never been a season ticket holder since it would be silly - for 3 home games a season??? as it is im a member and have been since i was five

in reply to nick

sorry mate you have stirred gazza from her slumbers and coronation street to reply on her favourite topic - season tickets

okay here we go

i have a mate who has supported norwich for over 35 years - he lives nearly 200 miles away and so until i bought one for him at christmas, didn''t have a season ticket as he couldn''t get to many games (due to work mainly). He now works extra in the evenings to keep saturdays at carrow road free, and is lucky to be able to do so as he has no small kids, elderly relatives to look after etc etc. What i am trying to say is you cannot condemn people for not having season tickets. I have one now i live in the norwich area, but for many years i have lived and worked away from norfolk and managed to get to the occasional game, this doesn''t make me (or any other exiled fan) any less passionate - in fact some exiled fans are extremely passionate people and would put the "I have been a season ticket holder for 50 years" group to shame.

you tell people who couldn''t get a season ticket (or chose not to buy one at the start of the season) to stop complaining that they couldn''t get to the west ham game. Do you not realise some people actually have other things to do on saturdays, look after their kids while a partner works, work themselves, have someone to care for, work and live abroad? My daughter works for an airline and works most saturdays, so getting a ticket for her is difficult, but she is a passionate supporter who has been going to Carrow Road since she was small. So she isn''t a real fan as she isn''t a season ticket holder? She could answer all the questions at the top of this thread. As could many, many passionate and dedicated norwich city fans. We all love our club, our team, but come on, however good football is, there is more to life than going to Carrow Road every other week. Please acknowledge that some of us do have a life outside football, which is why some of us will always be members or causal ticket buyers. Hope you enjoyed the game on Saturday, it was one of the best so far this season.

Archie, you have misquoted me, what I actually said was "The short answer to all this is that if you want to guarantee seeing your team get a season ticket, before they are top of the league!" I have no doubt that you follow your team home and away, with the aid of five live, sadly though that means that when the big games come up you wont be guaranteed a ticket, it might also mean that when you watch Norwich away from home you have to take a ticket in with the home fans.

When all is said and done, for some it doesn''t matter how far they have to travel to watch their team each week, generally those people will be in the match for the big games and the small.

nick hammer,fair enough that i misquoted you,but it isnt fair to suggest i''m not a true fan because i''m not one of those who ''travels to watch their team each week, ...bug games and small.'' i''m 16 and live 4 hours away from norfolk,can you please tell me how i''m going to get to carrow road every saturday??? its sad that you have to end in a patronising tone - and if you want to know,i have ben to crappy games, 0-0 with tranmere,losing to swindon and bristol city,called of game at portsmouth.for some reason or other, as gazzathegreat says,many of us who passionatly follow norwich cannot get to every game

In response to gazzathegreat.

Oh dear, seems that I have started something now. I fear though that you are not reading what I am saying, so i''ll repeat the important bit, "The short answer to all this is that if you want to guarantee seeing your team get a season ticket, before they are top of the league!" Thats a fact that none of us can escape from, there are fans from all teams that have the same problem.

I do acknowledge that for some there is more to life than going to Carrow Road (or Upton Park) every other week, but I would add to that for many going to watch their team every other week is a very major part of their life for which they scrimp, save, move appointments and juggle work. These people 99 times out of 100 will be at the match when the tickets are hard to come by, because they will have gone to all sorts of extremes to make sure they are.

I did enjoy the game on Saturday and would agree that it was probably your best so far :-)

Nick

nick

if life were perfect mate, of course we could all spend £300 a year for maybe six or seven games, yeah, course we would. Look mate, not everyone is in the position to buy a season ticket at the beginning of the season (in reality you end up buying it in the season before, ie for us, march); some of us cannot look ahead that far, we move around, change jobs, all sorts of life changing events take place and spending that sort of money, especially for two to three people is not within everyone''s means. This doesn''t and shouldn''t make causal ticket buyers lesser fans in anyone''s eyes.

glad you enjoyed the game, as for ''our'' best game so far, i don''t think it was, you are one of the better clubs we have seen so far, but our best game so far is always the one we have yet to play and this year it will be the one that clinches the championship. As for missing out on big games, sadly West Ham is not a ''big'' game to us in the same way it is to you. Ipswich, as local rivals, is our ''big'' game this year and up to date, most of our home games have been sold out, not just because of the absence of the south stand, but due to demand. We have a thousand people on a waiting list for a season ticket next year, this is with everyone in the south stand already catered for.

My work is monday-friday, because i love football so much i don''t want to work saturdays, but not everyone is like me and i don''t expect them to be, both my kids work shifts so cannot guarantee having saturdays off. There are many like them. What i was getting at was your point re we should all get a season ticket - even if everyone wanted to do that, the ground is not big enough, hence the waiting list.

What happens if we weren''t even born when we played in Europe? How are we supposed to answer the questions then? How do we become season ticket holders? We are the present and future supports of Norwich!