Sign in to follow this  
Bungay Canary

Remember the last time we were on sky at Reading

Is it the same one? Am I right in thinking the ref set up a fantastic half-volley for Phil Mulryne in a 1-0 victory against a fellow promotion candidate?

The ref that day (Neale Barry) retired years ago.The actual referee on Saturday is 25 year-old Michael Oliver. Recently sent two West Brom players off in their game at Blackpool. He also sent Gary Doherty off in our televised game at Forest a couple of years ago, but we still managed to win and he still got a load of praise off Roeder (probably for overruling his assistant who was flagging for a penalty).

I like him. Watched the Blackpool match and he did not crumble under the circumstances. Let''s hope I will still like him after Saturday! It''s good to see a young referee in the higher divisions, with a bit of talent.

Reading away in 2004 was my elder daughter’s first away game – Gemma was only 5½ at the time. She had been to a few home games and sat in the safety of the River End or the Jarrold Stand and was not really prepared for being an away fan.

Around 4.45pm, we walked into the concourse and there was a huge number of fans shouting and cheering as Ipswich had just conceded a very late goal. The noise and the number of people in a confined space was very intimidating for her. Worse was to come as a teenager in a bright yellow wig stood next to us with his beer. Gemma was terrified of this man and spent the next few minutes cowering behind me, which only made the situation worse as said teenager with beer tried to apologise for being scary which only made everything worse.

As for the game – we won 1-0, Gemma didn’t realise we had scored and when we were all jumping up and down cheering she joined in. I don’t think she saw the goal, she was just copying all the other City fans.

It was only a couple of games later when I noticed she was really celebrating a City goal and she commented to me after we had stopped cheering saying, “Daddy I really enjoyed that goal as I saw it go in the net”.

Brilliant story! You got a true NCFC fan there.

I may have a blighted memory but for some reason I thought we won that game 2-1 rather than 1-0...but you are probably right as I was completely hammered watching it at my Student Union back then!

I think it was the game when we realised we were going up - that and a similar televised game at home to Wigan.

It was definitely 1-0.

That was a fantastic weekend, beating Wigan 2-0 at home on Good Friday with two fantastic goals, and then beating Reading on the Monday. I''m pretty sure it was WBA that beat Ipswich at Portman Road and it took them above us temporarily.

I have great memories of that season!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Reading away in 2004 was my elder daughter’s first away game – Gemma was only 5½ at the time. She had been to a few home games and sat in the safety of the River End or the Jarrold Stand and was not really prepared for being an away fan.

Around 4.45pm, we walked into the concourse and there was a huge number of fans shouting and cheering as Ipswich had just conceded a very late goal. The noise and the number of people in a confined space was very intimidating for her. Worse was to come as a teenager in a bright yellow wig stood next to us with his beer. Gemma was terrified of this man and spent the next few minutes cowering behind me, which only made the situation worse as said teenager with beer tried to apologise for being scary which only made everything worse.

As for the game – we won 1-0, Gemma didn’t realise we had scored and when we were all jumping up and down cheering she joined in. I don’t think she saw the goal, she was just copying all the other City fans.

It was only a couple of games later when I noticed she was really celebrating a City goal and she commented to me after we had stopped cheering saying, “Daddy I really enjoyed that goal as I saw it go in the net”.

[/quote]

Magic moments that make parenting worth all the effort Tim !

The 1-0 was a great game, Revered Phil with the assist from the ref, made the long journey home fly by. The next away game was Watford which was another great day with the side stand next to the away end full of Norwich fans as well, the stewards were calm about them starting OTBC as well

[quote user="Northluck C."]The ref that day (Neale Barry) retired years ago.

[/quote]I think the funniest thing about that incident is what happened the next season. 

He was the ref for Man U away, also on Sky, and as the teams and officials were coming out of the tunnel the chant from Norwich changed from "You''re only here to see the champions" to "There''s only one Neale Barry"