Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

I witnessed a kickin' tonight - and it wasn't on the pitch...

mtv what you are saying is correct. It''s not right, it shouldn''t happen however a sport as popular as football is going to attract numbskulls. Norwich have them (just look at those sent down for the trouble in Leicester) every club has them. When fans are giving it the "biggun" in a crowd they feel safe knowing that nothing would happen to them, whether that''s "banter" between fans in singing songs or acting stupid and gesturing.

In a fair few grounds around the country you tend to get a certain type of fan who likes to sit near the away fans and the vast majority of these fans like it because the atmosphere tends to be better there. In this type of group you will get the numbskulls (not all the people in these areas are but you will get some) and you do get people in the home and away ends who spend almost as much time paying attention to the other set of fans as they do to the game itself.

As soon as you do something that makes you easily recognised like dress up in a morph suit then the chances are you will meet a numbskull opposition fan at some point and that numbskull will think it''s funny to throw a punch. Remember the "Happy slapping craze"? People found that funny too and it''s this kind of mentality that leads to instances like your son and these two kids getting punched.

The difference between these two instances is that'' your son was simply unlucky as it happened away from the ground and these two lads at Millwall were just plain stupid. They probably thought it would be good fun to walk out of the ground singing songs just like those Millwall fans thought it would be fun to beat them.

The thing is these instances are a reality. They do happen and not just at Millwall but at grounds up and down the country. Should they happen? Hell no. Are they a blight in this great game of ours? Yes. However it''s a problem in society as a whole as much as it''s a problem at football.

Davo

I say, could these two chaps be the young rapscallions who were travelling back on the 11:30 from Liverpool Street. They alighted at Stratford, as I recall, and kept us royally entertained until they passed out at Chelmsford. One of them, the shorter, with wonderfully cherubic cheeks, stirred at both Ipswich and Diss to enlighten us with the impending death of one Roy Keane in most unlikely circumstances. My hip flask at the ready I wished to know more, but alas my close attentions failed to arouse him. Oh! The unbridled pleasure to see the outrageous joy of youth. I look forward to renewing my acquaintance with them at Reading where I hope again to reprise my ballad, but this time outside the gaol.