Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Matthew Gill

I''ve seen a couple of interviews with Matthew Gill recently, one on the BBC website in which he''s really impressed me with his attitude. Kind of reminds me of Lappin with his professionalism, admittedly with less to contend with than Lappin.I just wondered what people thought of him possibly pushing for a starting spot. I realise we have a shed load of midfielders and in the scheme of things he may not be quite the standard of others, but he definitely had a positive impact against Millwall, and seems to be quite a balanced midfielder, compared to the more tenacious minded Korey Smith, and the all-guile no bite David Fox.Thoughts please...

My opinion of him in pre season / last season was dead weight.But he''s impressed me with his attitude and he is obviously well liked within the dressing room. Not that this is important, but a player with a positive attitude is always better to have than a pre-madona.He''s a Norwich lad so I think hes pretty happy to play as a squad player, following his loan spell and the fact lambo gave him a chance I think hes got a good possibility of getting a few games.Unfortunatly I did not see the Millwall game and hope that Gill gets a few minutes at home so I can watch him play myself.Like you said, not only do we have a lot of midfielders but for the first time in ages we have a wealth of quality midfielders rather than one good player and a load of tat.I can see Gill fitting in as back up for Crofts and could become a important figure holding down a lead in the final 30 in the same way MacNamee comes on to score a goal.T

Agreed.  I like the fact that he saw the loan move as beneficial to his career at Norwich and not as being forced out.

He will provide excellent cover for Croft''s position and I think he''ll prove to be a valuable member of the squad.

I personally don''t see him as cover for Crofts as he is more of a Mulryne character in that he keeps the ball moving without chasing around for every lost cause. I think he could do well but would need Crofts or Smith with him in the middle

He seems like a good lad but I don''t see him as any more than backup when we''re short.

For me, in terms of ability, I think he''s on the Mark Fotheringham kind of level. A decent enough footballer but too limited to do the business in this league.

At least with Gilly you know he''ll be there for the cause and he doesn''t think he should be playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona like Fozzie obviously thought he should have been.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]My opinion of him in pre season / last season was dead weight.But he''s impressed me with his attitude and he is obviously well liked within the dressing room. Not that this is important, but a player with a positive attitude is always better to have than a pre-madona.[/quote]It''s ''prima donna'', not "pre-madona". [:$]

[quote user="Chip20"]It''s ''prima donna'', not "pre-madona". [:$][/quote]posted that comment late last night, also since when have I signed out with a T :-pforum needs an edit button

Standard: I agree with you about Gill being more in the Mulryne mould.  I cast my mind back to the pre-season friendly at Lincoln (the last time I saw Gill with any decent match time) and he was contentedly sat in the middle of the park spraying around accurate passes.

I stand(ard) corrected.