Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

OT - Petition to keep Tornados at RAF Marham, Avoid Closure

You can help to save RAF Marham by joining a facebook group here - or by signing a petition - hereI know this is very off topic, but this petition needs as many names as possible, quickly, to show support to the Prime Minister against the possible closure of our last air force base.Thanks !

Lossie are way ahead of you, didn''t they have a march last week?People I know seem to think Lossie is more likely to close with the Tornados from there going to Marham, where the heck they are going to put them all is anyone''s guess though.

It''s not actually me, it''s the council blokey who did the a11 dualling campaign.  No doubt he saw the lossie march and thought that a bit of public support might help.Sad that its'' come to this really though, 2 communities in a "queen for the day" competition.

I''ve signed up to the petition.

How could I not when if it wasn''t for Marham the chances are I would of been born in Suffolk like my sister and become an Ipsh!t fan (she''s not an Ipsh!t fan luckily enough).

Davo

having just been demobbed from the RAF and Marham being my final camp trust me the place wont be closing due to BAE having injected so much money into the place and also the fact that it is used on a regular basis by the royals. it aint happening but as for Lossie well its days are numbered as not much servicing is actually done there now, most of it goes down to Marham!

[quote user="morty"]Lossie are way ahead of you, didn''t they have a march last week?

People I know seem to think Lossie is more likely to close with the Tornados from there going to Marham, where the heck they are going to put them all is anyone''s guess though.
[/quote]

Hi Morty!

Some of the Lossie based Tornados (if they are the right variant) can go to Camp Bastion. can''t they?

I thought Camp Bastion is getting another runway.....with presumably more hangers?

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="morty"]Lossie are way ahead of you, didn''t they have a march last week?People I know seem to think Lossie is more likely to close with the Tornados from there going to Marham, where the heck they are going to put them all is anyone''s guess though.[/quote]

Hi Morty!

Some of the Lossie based Tornados (if they are the right variant) can go to Camp Bastion. can''t they?

I thought Camp Bastion is getting another runway.....with presumably more hangers?

[/quote]Doesn''t sound likely, to be honest. But who knows in the wacky world of defence cuts, quite literally anything can happen!

In Viet Nam we didn''t need runways.....Clear a bit of bamboo and the guys could drop a fighter on a sixpence.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]In Viet Nam we didn''t need runways.....

Clear a bit of bamboo and the guys could drop a fighter on a sixpence.

[/quote]Long way to drag a touring caravan Cluck! [:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]In Viet Nam we didn''t need runways.....Clear a bit of bamboo and the guys could drop a fighter on a sixpence.

[/quote]Long way to drag a touring caravan Cluck! [:$]

[/quote]Had it strapped to a Bell UH and guys could drop a chopper into jungle on a sixpence.

Bearing in mind the way the Scots are treating English Uni students by charging them while allowing the facility free to EU and Scots students, plus the unfair Barnett formula that allows 1,000 per head more spending in Scotland, it''s about time the balance was adjusted.  I hope that the Coalition will take this into account and favour Marham.  

Open Coltishall as an operational Raf Station again - and put the Lossiemouth Tornado''s there....It would take little to re-generate the airfield again - especially if they combined and shared it with that interested party of TAG Aviation...

Convert the airfields at Kinloss and Lossiemouth into prisons and haggis farms...as the haggis require large open areas of tarmac, grass and concrete to graze on (their natural habitat)....

Then transfer (relocate) the inmates of the prison at Coltishall up to Kinloss and Lossiemouth - and use the inmates as shepherds for the grazing haggis.... 

....Sorted.... 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Open Coltishall as an operational Raf Station again - and put the Lossiemouth Tornado''s there....It would take little to re-generate the airfield again - especially if they combined and shared it with that interested party of TAG Aviation...

Convert the airfields at Kinloss and Lossiemouth into prisons and haggis farms...as the haggis require large open areas of tarmac, grass and concrete to graze on (their natural habitat)....

Then transfer (relocate) the inmates of the prison at Coltishall up to Kinloss and Lossiemouth - and use the inmates as shepherds for the grazing haggis.... 

....Sorted.... 

[/quote]As much as I loved being at Coltishall (Best base I ever served at) the infrastructure there was hopelessly out of date. There were still buildings that dated from the second world war, which was part of the reason for the decision to close it, it would have cost too much to bring it into the 21st century. Poor road links also influenced the decision.I am liking your plan though.[:)]

Ahhhhhhhh...... Coltishall.  Cycled there every week from my home in Sprowston to watch the Lightnings take off and land.Marvellous.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Ahhhhhhhh...... Coltishall.  Cycled there every week from my home in Sprowston to watch the Lightnings take off and land.Marvellous.[/quote]Blimey, showing your age there!The lightning was amazing though, essentially a big firework with a pilot strapped onto it.The Subaru imprezza of the plane world.

Pity we couldn''t bomb Scotland and their benefit scrounging wasters. We give them so much money, how about we get something back, not some fat, alcoholic sweaty Catholic twit from the asssend of Glasgow.

Keep Marham, Lossie are going to get the soldiers when they close Germany.

Fooking hate the Jocks, apart from a few, but have never had or will have a Jock friend, they can pii$$ rightoff. Conts.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I hate them as much as the Irish bombing pikeys. Which as you gather is not a lot.[/quote]Cool.As someone born in Glasgow I shall understand if you no longer want to carry this conversation on.[;)]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Ahhhhhhhh...... Coltishall. 

Cycled there every week from my home in Sprowston to watch the Lightnings take off and land.

Marvellous.
[/quote]

For their day they were amazing planes - Are they still flying in South Africa?

I can even remember as a youngster, having open days at Coltishall.

Great stuff.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Ahhhhhhhh...... Coltishall.  Cycled there every week from my home in Sprowston to watch the Lightnings take off and land.Marvellous.[/quote]

For their day they were amazing planes - Are they still flying in South Africa?

I can even remember as a youngster, having open days at Coltishall.

Great stuff.

[/quote]I remember the open days and still have a little button badge somewhere.The Lightnings were amazing planes and I never got bored seeing then go into vertical take off. I think I saw on tv that there are still some in the air.We had all sorts of planes flying around then... from Chipmonks to Vulcans. Noisy... but awesome when you''re a kid.