Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Ruddy......

I was thinking during the match, how good Ruddy actually can be....but then he spilt the ball for no apparent reason, and that got me thinking some more!!

I do like him, and i think he''s good (good enough for a Championship team anyway), but i also think he isn''t 100% reliable (i know, that all/most keepers will make mistakes, either big or little throughout their career, but Ruddy hasn''t been here for long, and he still doesn''t give me the confidence Green did....)

I''m not saying he''s useless, and needs to be dropped now, but i think, these little mistakes could be adding up, and Rudd could be in the team before the end of the season.

so did i, but still, someone must be able to see the (little) mistakes he makes, and if those mistakes turn in too goals, then we won''t all be so happy with him...

(this isn''t mean''t to be completely negative towards him, and perhaps i should have left it a couple of days before posting as well, after his performance...

He kept us in the game today and without him we wouldn''t have had a point but, he did flap a lot of crosses and I mean a lot.  Crosses are Ruddy''s big downfall and I think he is going to end up costing us more points than he saves us.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I was thinking during the match, how good Ruddy actually can be....but then he spilt the ball for no apparent reason, and that got me thinking some more!!.[/quote]So the one on one stop, the great diving save, the safe hands at all other times didn''t refocus your mind?I truly despair sometimes...people are just never happy!

Have you not read what i have said?

He did very very well overall tonight, got us the point, but its the little mistakes (and like Boyo said, the flapping at crosses) that over the season, will probably lose us games.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Have you not read what i have said?

He did very very well overall tonight, got us the point, but its the little mistakes (and like Boyo said, the flapping at crosses) that over the season, will probably lose us games.[/quote]

isnt it time you changed your name ?Dobin was sent to the glue factory

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Have you not read what i have said?

He did very very well overall tonight, got us the point, but its the little mistakes (and like Boyo said, the flapping at crosses) that over the season, will probably lose us games.[/quote]I did read what you said, he did well but all I can focus on is when he spilled it....Brilliant.

My name has nothing to do with Doherty...I was called Gpele at school before he was even at Norwich...(mainly as a joke, not because i was actually good at football...)

Ruddy definitely had a good game today - all keepers will occasionally come for a ball they shouldn''t, or flap at the odd one when they misread the flight - he isn''t going to be any different (and nor would Rudd if he was playing instead).

But Kent, thats not all i have focused on, whats the point in naming every good save he pulled off, there where quite a few, i was just raising an issue, that could become more serious over the season, i seriously hope it doesn''t, as he is on the whole a decent keeper.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]But Kent, thats not all i have focused on, whats the point in naming every good save he pulled off, there where quite a few, i was just raising an issue, that could become more serious over the season, i seriously hope it doesn''t, as he is on the whole a decent keeper.[/quote]I appreciate where you are coming from but let''s not focus on any ''possible'' negatives, he has played really well today, as well as he has since his arrival - although I don''t think he has been bad, just not FF facing league one strikers.This could be where he discovers his confidence and goes on to make the position his own for years to come, or...he could go down hill and be absolute crap. I really do think it is a confidence issue with him, the crowd need to get behind him and the constant sniping doesn''t help, I don''t know if any of the players read these things but they do hear the crowd groaning and sarcastic clapping and to be honest it is counter productive.So in summary, I am ina  bad mood and would like to say I am not having a pop at you but I really think credit where credit is due...the lad done good and we should say that and that alone.

Ruddy was quality today, he saved about 8 goals I would say. On your logic about making one mistake, then surely on the other side of the coin is that he may have missed some of them and we concede more. Follow it? I don''t but thats the point.

Thats not my logic at all....

Its not just today, its quite often, the lack of orgainsation on corners (which is defenders fault as well, but Ruddy should give them a bit of guidance if they aren''t doing it right....), the flapping at crosses, the odd spill of the ball, it all adds up....

He doesn''t make 10+ saves every game does he?

As i have said, he won us the point today, he was very good, He just needs to improve on his game....

(Like most keepers, Forster, who nearly everyone thought was amazing last season, still can''t kick the ball properly, Green still makes mistakes, Chec, Cassails, Buffon they all do it, But its the frequency of them, and then the other bits, like kicking/organising defence etc that makes the keeper better.)

(And again, everyone hated Green after his WC mistake, despite that fact it was just one, and in general is a error-free keeper, but he wasn''t cut any slack, yet one really really good Ruddy performance, makes him immune from any slightly negative judgement?)

Why should Ruddy tell them what to do, they need to learn to defend from set plays, we don''t win the headers and the 2nd ball and we are getting punished for it.

Its not making him immune from negative, he has had enough to last a life time this season. Yes he may make mistakes, but he is still young and this is his 1st proper season in English football and certainly at this level.

You''re comparing a mistake in the WC to his mistake tonight, how you can is a mystery. Ruddy made loads of saves today, Green didn''t.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]FFS I''m not saying its about ONE mistake am i?[/quote]

I can see your point but when he plays very well he deserves credit not criticism. The save where he tipped ball onto the post was magnificent and he made some other cracking stops. I think he can take great confidence from his display tonight. He swept up pretty well and I felt he was fouled from one corner and there was only one he genuinely lost the flight of. As a keeper (admittedly at very low level) myself I find that making a some good saves can breed confidence in all parts of your game like commanding your area and communication. Hopefully this is the same for Ruddy.

My issue with him before today was whether he was good enough to make the big saves that mattered to keep us in matches because I felt his reflexes could be slow at times. In recent weeks against Swansea, Preston and today I think he has proved me wrong. Well done John. Keep it up!

I already said, i probably posted this at the wrong time, as he did have a very good game....

Its just something i wanted to bring up, and see what other people (who have been to more games, and seen him over 90 mins more than 5/6 times that i''ve seen him....)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He could be more like Andy Marshall....[/quote]Don''t even joke, if he signs for the Binners on a free I am giving up and switching to hockey or something. Fecking Binners!

It''s beggar''s belief! Not being funny but the creation of this thread would have made sense had Ruddy actually made a howler tonight but from what I saw he pulled off cracking saves, claimed plenty of crosses and kept us in the game.

like you Gpele i''ve only seen him a few times, so its not fair to criticise/praise his overall standard of keeping and what he may be like for a whole season.

But looking at last nights game i though he was magnificent, considering the rearguard action we had to make in the 2nd half he was bound to be overworked.

He may have missed a cross or two but in the context of his performance i think that was allowed (whether this happens all the time is another thing)

We could all pick on errors made by players (lappin for the pen, ward missed header that put a forward clean through) but for the game it was backs to the wall time and with the amount of defending they had to do in the 2nd half its only logical that errors occurred and we had to ride our luck.

But i think gpele''s point is for those out there who have been to all/most games this season how do you rate him as a keeper, not a comparison to anyone else but in his own right?

He had a very good game yesterday, made some superb saves and kept us in the match. However, his kicking wasn''t the best and it''s something that I hadn''t noticed before.

I have to say, I can see where Ginger Pele''s coming from. However many saves he makes, he just fills me with no confidence!

But credit to him, he did make some very good saves yesterday. If he could just sort the crosses and the odd spills out, he would be a very good keeper.

That''s very nearly a bash Clint, but I will let you off as it''s agreed he had a very good game yesterday. His handling was actually very confident and only made one ''spill'' which was more of a save anyway, his defense cleaned it up as expected.

Largey, no one is doubting how well he did yesterday, and he probably will eradicate some/most of the little mistakes he makes, but its just they are there at the moment, and no one will be happy if he spills the ball to an binner striker in two weeks will they?