Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield Canary

Places to watch the game in Sheffield?

Is if there anyone living in Sheffield that''s a Norwich fan? I recently started uni up here and have seen a few Norwich shirts and flag in windows. It would be nice to get to know a few fans up here and maybe travel home with them now and again. Plus does anyone know anywhere that will show the game up here?

There''s a few of us up here:-)

I''d normally go to Legends in Hillsborough, but with Wednesday playing at home, it''s probably not the best plan.

The other thing is that my wife is now a few days overdue on our 2nd child, so I''m thinking about biting the bullet and giving Mr Murdoch some more money to upgrade for a month so I''m not a million miles away...

Next live match for me will be Derby (assuming I pull my finger out and get tickets sorted!) - my office is a few minutes walk from the stadium, and so we tend to park there... Let me know if you''re interested in a lift - I''ll have space for 1 or 2 (depending on whether my mate takes his son)...

Cheers

Ben

In the past Uni based Canary students have tended to watch the match in The Pomona on Eccy Road or Players on West St.  The Pomona has twin box so even if there are Liverpool fans wanting to watch their match they usually put the Norwich one on in the back room - there have been as many as 20 of us in there from time to time.  Players will show everything on a multitude of screens.  However as the last six matches have all ended in defeat when on Sky, and as I''ve actually watched the match in a pub beginning with a P (Pomona / Psalter Tav and note Players does too) I''m keen to find a new pub myself to try and break the hoodoo.  An added complication is my 6yo is keen to watch too so looking for a family friendly venue.  So if there are any recommendations for a family friendly pub with Sky and no scousers let me know (for instance does the Common Room allow kids in?).

I was also hoping to get to Derby, but was planning to go by rail as the ground is close.  A quick couple in the Sheffield Tap before a stroll to Pride Park.  Ben, are there any good pubs neat station and ground in Derby?

My two pence worth as a former Sheffielder...Broomhill Tavern or Fox and Duck might be worth a go, although a bit out of the way. Bar One at the Union will have it as well, but no kids. Doubt the Common Room would allow kids in either.

re Derby, the Brunswick is very highly rated and a stone''s throw from the station.

Cheers for the offer hillsborough canary but i don''t think I''ll be going to many away matches until my next load of finance comes through :L. Good to see there''s a few fans up here! I think I''ll try players tomorrow. The Royal Standard usually good but they''re showing the liverpool game.

I''m a Polly too so i''m not near the University of.

...The Place in Broomhill should hopefully have it on one of their screens, plus its £1.99 for scampi and chips at the moment so well worth the taxi ride from the poly!

I''m also looking for somewhere to watch it. I''m city centre based, so most places are easy. Thing I''ll probs head to pomona on eccy road unless a group are meeting elsewhere?

OTBC

For future reference Pomona no longer has sky. well only Italian sky apparently. Watched the game in walkabout in the end with no sound. Few of us yellows in there unsurprisingly.

OTBC

[quote user="Northern Canary"]I live next to the Broomhill Tavern which always has sport on. The sound isnt great but I guess thats probably the same anywhere.[/quote]Small world, I lived directly opposite the Broomhill Tavern last year.

[quote user="Sheffield Canary"]Are you getting the train? I''ve booked the meggatrain back for the saturday, its only £11 quid.[/quote]

No I''m driving there and back =). I wish I found out about this megabus website earlier I''m used to paying £30+ to get the train back.

Yeah, the problem is they don''t run over the weekend that often so i miss a few lectures. Are you going back for leeds? If you had a spare seat for the journey back from the ipswich game I''d be happy to pay 15 quid to travel with you if don''t mind.

Yeh I''m not sure of my plan yet as I''ve actually graduated from Sheffield now, so might be spending a few days back at home, as I''m not dictated by needing to get back for lectures but I will let you know. But yeh I am going to the Leeds game as well, still have my season ticket even though I''ve lived in Sheffield the last 3 years =)

I ended up watching it with Reading fans in a pub in Canterbury....

they had 6+ TV screens, and put the game on for us on one of them in a corner :P (much better game though...everyone should have been watching :P)

Obviously a few of us in the area. Anyone know if the Northern Canaries are still in existence? and if they have a website? I did search for one but couldn''t find one.

OTBC