''game'' wasn''t very good.

It''s not as if i''m too young to remember his playing days - he was the

first keeper i really remember and he and the teams he kept behind in

the late eighties and early nineties are heroes in my eyes. So it''s

pretty sad that what he did last at the club (leaving aside his

corporate roles) looms largest when i see his name now. He''d never admit

it, but i think he may regret that fateful decision to take the

managerial reigns.

What do you think of when you see his name? Gunn the ''keeper or Gunn the manager? Or just Gunn the man?

I thought someone may say that ginger! Constructive as ever wiz. He''s a fallible human being, like you Wiz. I wasn''t asking people to slag him off. Clearly however, you have only one thought in your mind when it comes to Mr Gunn!

Interesting question.Only saw him play a few times, so have no real opinion of him as a player. Perhaps people who have been watching longer than I have are more likely to have a positive opinion about him. I think he was naive to take the managerial role, and after he had more than enough games to keep us up he should have done the decent thing and walked away saying "I tried my best and it wasn''t good enough, sorry" I, of course, recognise the board''s complicity in giving him the job after we were relegated.Subsequent interviews saw him suggest that he would have taken Norwich to the top end of league one in the way Lambert had, had he been given more time. And this is my main gripe, I find it slightly arrogant that he would think this was the case, and it smacks slightly of sour grapes.As time goes on though it all becomes less and less relevant, and through the chain events, good has eventually come of it.

[quote user="a1canary"]Reading about the ''evening with Jerry Goss and Bryan Gunn'' got me thinking. When i see BGs name i''m sorry to say the first thing i think about is his brief managerial career. As the saying goes in football, you''re only as good as your last game. And his foray into the managerial ''game'' wasn''t very good.

It''s not as if i''m too young to remember his playing days - he was the first keeper i really remember and he and the teams he kept behind in the late eighties and early nineties are heroes in my eyes. So it''s pretty sad that what he did last at the club (leaving aside his corporate roles) looms largest when i see his name now. He''d never admit it, but i think he may regret that fateful decision to take the managerial reigns.

What do you think of when you see his name? Gunn the ''keeper or Gunn the manager? Or just Gunn the man?[/quote]

I agree and there is no issue with Gunn the man and Gunn the player but Gunn the manager is totally different.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Gunn the leech.[/quote]

I''ve never had reason to argue with you before but you are a prize tw*t at times.  Yes, he was no Manager but he was a great player for the club (during some very harrowing personal circumstances at times).  Whatever you think about his post-football time at the club he was a great ambassador and worked tirelessly to bring investment to the club - this I know from personal experience. Obviously, anyone who raises millions of pounds for charity is also a leech.

As you said, some people have short memories, or just bloody minded. Gun loved/loves this club and did what he thought was best for him and the club. He saw an opportunity to take his dream role as manager and took it. most people would have done the same if they were in his shoes. this is all after all the years he stayed as a player etc.

I don''t blame Gunny for his first attempt. To be offered the chance to fullfil a dream who would not take it.

Then to accept a reappointment after the Charlton debacle ,was misguided to say the least (that applies to Gunny and those who offered it to him).

Gunny the keeper served us well, Gunny the manager....... Overall Gunny the man, great bloke and deserves, like everyone else, a clean slate and to be  allowed move on.

[quote user="a1canary"]I thought someone may say that ginger!

Constructive as ever wiz. He''s a fallible human being, like you Wiz. I wasn''t asking people to slag him off. Clearly however, you have only one thought in your mind when it comes to Mr Gunn!
[/quote]

Thats my honest perception of him, Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan and Green were all superior keepers than he was.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="a1canary"]I thought someone may say that ginger!

Constructive as ever wiz. He''s a fallible human being, like you Wiz. I wasn''t asking people to slag him off. Clearly however, you have only one thought in your mind when it comes to Mr Gunn!
[/quote]

Thats my honest perception of him, Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan and Green were all superior keepers than he was.

[/quote]

.....and what time is your appointment with the therapist?

[quote user="The Butler"]

I don''t blame Gunny for his first attempt. To be offered the chance to fullfil a dream who would not take it.

Then to accept a reappointment after the Charlton debacle ,was misguided to say the least (that applies to Gunny and those who offered it to him).

Gunny the keeper served us well, Gunny the manager....... Overall Gunny the man, great bloke and deserves, like everyone else, a clean slate and to be  allowed move on.

[/quote]

Pretty much sums up my views. He did himself no favours with some of his comments on TV after he left, but you can''t dismiss his service to the club.

I love the contrast between Wizard and Morty''s answers. One so carefully considered and balanced, the other a knee-jerk, first-word-i-can-think-of reaction! Is that something that comes with age? Maybe as you get older, you actually go backwards in terms of the way you think and become more child-like. Maybe that''s why our more senior brethren often seem more impatient and intolerent. I''m sure i''ll be like that when i''m older. "I''ve done enought thinking in my life, now i just say the first thing that come in my head!"

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Pretty much sums up my views. He did himself no favours with some of his comments on TV after he left, but you can''t dismiss his service to the club.

[/quote]

All of which he was bloody well paid for, Mr Munby once said Gunn had a job for life at City, but no, he got greedy and blew it imo.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Gunn the leech.[/quote]Bloody hell Wiz.... that cracked me up.  [:D]10/10[*]

I never saw Nethercott, Kennon or Keelan but you can''t compare Gunn and

Green until Green has retired. In my view, Green has a MASSIVE amount to

do in his remaining years if he is to be worthy of a seat alongside

Gunny in ''keeper heaven. I don''t see him doing it myself. Although i

guess David James more or less recovered from his "Calamity James" title

to be England''s number one for a number of years. Until Green can

emulate James in his later years, he is firmly in Gunn''s shadow as a

keeper.

---

That well-known Serie A pundit Machiavelli pronounced his verdict on Bryan Gunn some centuries ago: "Fortune is changeable, whereas men are obstinate in their ways."

---

I think his main problem was not stepping down after we were relegated. I don''t blame him for taking the job in the first place, and I don''t blame him for being out of his depth as he had no experience, but by staying on was a little bit selfish I feel, as it didn''t really seem to be in the club''s best interests- even though the board agreed and handed him a new contract.But still, he will always be a club legend- maybe this has soured things a little, but not by much.

A rather complex question, the key to it is time I think.

By and large as time moves on we are left with only good memories, BG will always have his place in our clubs history that much is given.

In maybe ten years from now that his time as manager will be forgotten but it still represents a sad sorry and generally disgraceful period in our clubs history.

He should never have offered his services up as manager, if he was being genuine an honest he would have looked at himself in the mirror and ask himself

“Can I do this; if I fail the costs of my failure will be enormous?”

Of course others were equally complicit in this wretched chapter and we all know who that is, I do think that as the clubs ascent continues the memories of this will fade and we’ll focus more on the good times.

BG the keeper at the Olympic Stadium, the San Siro, Highbury (2-4) and all the other great days we enjoyed with him as our keeper, you can easily argue that had he not have broken his leg we would not have been relegated in 1995.

The trouble is I saw each and every game of his tenure and Glen Rodent aside my views on this period have me banned for life from this message board, Swansea away, the Scum and culminating in the mother of all surrenders at The Valley.

It’s still too early I’m afraid

Bryan Gunn will always be a legend to me. Not just for his keeping skills but also the bravery of the man (ie playing just days after his daughter passed away, not a dry eye in the barclay when he came out) and that he is a genuinely nice chap off the field. To say he is a leech is just laughable, he just wanted to manage the club he loved, who would''nt. Ok it ended sour but there is no question about the man himself. Wiz, i read your comments and respect your views but in this thread i think you have been very narrow minded and a bit of a prick.

I will remember Gunny as the man who raised millions for a childrens charity, the goalie who put heart and soul into his performances and Gunny the niciest man to chat to who always has time for everyone.

No.  Very good and loyal for us.  Still have a massive amount of respect for him and everything he achieved as a PLAYER.

Ok his managerial career for us failed miserably.  But he did what he believed was right and I am sure he tried his best to make it work.  The fact he couldnt cut it as a manager should not detract from the wonderful memories he gave us as a player.

[quote user="cityangel"]

I will remember Gunny as the man who raised millions for a childrens charity, the goalie who put heart and soul into his performances and Gunny the niciest man to chat to who always has time for everyone.

[/quote]

What cityangelsaid.

Why is there this popular misconception (among a few) that Gunny muscled his way into the managers job and took it upon himself to manage Norwich City whilst the board looked on helplessly unable to do anything about his self-appointment?

I totally accept the tributes to him for his playing days but i can never forgive him for taking the job, even in the first place.

To my mind this was a bit of ignorance and a lot of arrogance all mixed with the chance to make more money than he otherwise would have done.

If he thought he was so good, why did he not go off and learn the trade with a lower league or non league club after being McNastied.

As my little chum Bury Green says, others within the club were more culpable in making yet another stupid decision.

I have great memories of him as a ''keeper and a brave father and husband.

Coming from someone who has lived on state benefits and handouts, this is a disgusting remark. 

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

Coming from someone who has lived on state benefits and handouts, this is a disgusting remark. 

[/quote]

Oh do behave, you know bugger all about my past work history pal.

[quote user="KCanary"]Bryan Gunn will always be a legend to me. Not just for his keeping skills but also the bravery of the man (ie playing just days after his daughter passed away, not a dry eye in the barclay when he came out) and that he is a genuinely nice chap off the field. To say he is a leech is just laughable, he just wanted to manage the club he loved, who would''nt. Ok it ended sour but there is no question about the man himself. Wiz, i read your comments and respect your views but in this thread i think you have been very narrow minded and a bit of a prick.[/quote]

Thats fine KC, but what else peed me of about Leechy, was how he pi*sed on Lamberts promotion success by claiming on Sky that it would havev happened anyway under his leadership.

How damn arrogant was that?