Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Corners - Warsss Gorn Orn ?

Forgive my simple understanding of corners, but I thought they went something like this.Bloke gets back post.  Another bloke gets front post. Other free blokes apart from the goal-hanger for the other end get a bloke, and try to stop him getting the ball.Why did we not have a bloke on the front post from the corner for their goal ?  Why did we have some corners and set pieces from wide spots where we had no-one on the posts ?

We are terrible at defending set pieces and I put that down to a lack of confidence in the defence and I put that down to Ruddy.  I think Ruddy makes the whole defence so nervous and they never know whether he is coming for a cross or not which is causing mistakes.  As you could see Ruddy flapped at a lot of crosses tonight and a keeper who consistently does that is never going to have a decisive defence in front of him.

However this does not explain the lack of players on posts.  This could just be a Lambert thing because some managers don''t like the men on the post thing but I think you should definately have men on the posts all the time.

And I''m being critical of Ruddy but he did keep us in the game today with some fantastic saves and I can''t moan at him for that. 

The basic defence of corners, seem to have gone (not just for Norwich either...I''ve seen a few teams inadequately defend corners...), if we could stop conceding from as many corners as we do, it would probably make a big difference... (anyone know the stats of how many goals from corners we have conceded this season?)

The truly annoying thing for me is that regardless of the useless ref, if we''d had someone on the front post for that corner, then we would have cleared the ball for the first goal.  There are things you have control over, and there are things you can do to help yourself.  Ah well, never mind.

For all their strengths the centre back pairing do not seem to deal with set peieces into the box well.  Ruddy will be a part of this but it constantly seems disorganised in there and the sheer volume of goals coming through this route is a disproportionate worry.  Adding players to the posts would prevent some but until someone controls who is marking and tracking what efforts on our goal will continue - too often we are second to these crosses which means efforts on goal.  It seems we conceed a goal froma  set piece every 2 games in 3;  tighten that discipline up and get a penalty area leader to sort it and it would mean 3 away goals will secure 3 points instead of 1.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

For all their strengths the centre back pairing do not seem to deal with set peieces into the box well.  Ruddy will be a part of this but it constantly seems disorganised in there and the sheer volume of goals coming through this route is a disproportionate worry.  Adding players to the posts would prevent some but until someone controls who is marking and tracking what efforts on our goal will continue - too often we are second to these crosses which means efforts on goal.  It seems we conceed a goal froma  set piece every 2 games in 3;  tighten that discipline up and get a penalty area leader to sort it and it would mean 3 away goals will secure 3 points instead of 1.

[/quote]Are we perhaps a reasonable Division One team, manager and backroom staff with a few player additions who are facing Championship sides with better dead ball control and more effective and challenging set pieces than we have previously encountered?

To be fair, had Fox just booted it clear when it came to him rather than shinning it about 3 yards, we would have defended that one!

The worry is that it was almost a carbon copy of the Milwall goal. Near post flick on wrong foots defenders, weak goalline clearance and bundled in. The problem is the near post, rather than the goalkeeper, but presumably the coaching team are on it.