Sign in to follow this  
?

David Fox

Firstly, let me make it clear that this isn''t a post slating Fox. I''m genuinely curious...

But what does he offer the team?

From the, admittedly, little that i''ve seen of him thus far, it seems he isn''t a great passer of the ball, can''t really tackle, isn''t much of a threat going forward (despite his well taken goal on Tuesday), and can''t clear the ball off the line.

But, if Lambert likes him, which he certainly seems to, the chap must have something about him. It''s not often that i have complete faith in a manager of our''s, but i do with Lambert. So Fox can''t be as poor as, to me, he seems to be.

What is it exactly that i''m missing here?

He hasn''t really played much so it is hard to form an opinion. If he gets a run of games we''ll find out. He took his goal well at Millwall and as you say, made a hash of that clearance last night. He needs a run in the team. If he''s just going to be used when we''re short of numbers then we will never get to form a proper opinion and he''ll be rated by those few things that stand out.

By all accounts he had a brilliant game last Tuesday. He had a quiet game yesterday - as did Crofts - and the only thing he did ''bad'' was his weak clearance. Think you may be jumping to an early conclusion.

He''s a quality passer of the ball and be fair to him his dodgy clearance was at an awkward height for him. To early to form a proper opinion on him but so far I''m impressed.

Fox can pass the ball well and doesn''t give it away too much!

The hashed clearance from Fox which lead to Readings 1st came about because the ball came to him at an awkward height. I think most other players would of done the same thing!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Fox can pass the ball well and doesn''t give it away too much!

The hashed clearance from Fox which lead to Readings 1st came about because the ball came to him at an awkward height. I think most other players would of done the same thing!

[/quote]Looks like he has the ability to score a few spectacular goals as well, something else he can offer in midfield. Also, no one''s mentioned that somehow we didn''t clear that corner before it even got to Fox - it was a poor delivery, and somebody should have been protecting that near post area.

To be fair I.S. nobody was blaming him, just saying he made a hash of the clearance, which he did.

I thought the corner was a good delivery, it was then headed on, if it''s the one I''m thinking about.

I''m certainly not blaming him for the first Reading goal yesterday. Christ, none of the lads deserve to be blamed for anything yesterday, they''re all heroes for rescuing a point in a game against a good team, and a set of officials. I can let individual mistakes go this week, in the circumstances!

As i said, i don''t rate Fox and i''m wondering what it is i''m missing, that''s all. Seems like i''ve got it wrong, or maybe i''m just being too judgemental, too early. I''m really not sure he''s that good a passer of the ball, however!

My concern about him as a central midfielder is that he pulls out of tackles. On at least two occasions in the first half he was clear favourite to get to the ball first but never got a foot on it. The lad can clearly play, but defensively he''s a concern, and I was surprised that Gill wasn''t on earlier to give us a bit more backbone.

That said, I don''t blame him for the goal. The ball was an awkward height and it''s hard to readjust your balance when it''s flicked on at the near post.

He''s good on the ball and a clever player. Technically very good. Having said that for me he is lightweight and does wimp out of 50/50 tackles. I might have been tempted to take him off second half againts Reading and put Gill on to try and sure things up a bit. I would not have him in the team ahead of Hoolahan and I really hope Lambo is not going to start doing that regularly.

He was on the goal line. Why was that? It seems to have been pre-arranged. There was also the suggestion that his was a Hooly- like function behind the front two.

He certainly covered a lot of ground, up with attack and back in defence, and looked exhausted when he was taken off. Is he fully fit after missing so many games?

I think that he is a squad player, rather than an automatic choice. He certainly packs a good shot, and he scored a good free-kick against us in the 7-1 drubbing. He has a reputation for passing accurately, and if true means that he should not be underrated.

His poor goal line clearance seemed to me to come party from the bounce, which was higher than he expected for some reason and so he could only get his shin to it.

Does he have a future with us? Time will tell, but it looks as if he is in line after Surman, Crofts and Korey.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

He hasn''t really played much so it is hard to form an opinion. If he gets a run of games we''ll find out. He took his goal well at Millwall and as you say, made a hash of that clearance last night. He needs a run in the team. If he''s just going to be used when we''re short of numbers then we will never get to form a proper opinion and he''ll be rated by those few things that stand out.

[/quote]Oh but City fans love to form a poor opinion of a player who hasn''t had a decent run in the side don''t they?Bring back the Doc and Holty to play 90 mins every week, week in week out I say... [:D]