Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Carrow Road Land Sale....

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Was this land ''inherited'' from her predecessors.. or a result of Delia Smith''s alleged multi million pound investment?[/quote]

I believe it was Chase mate although the potty Deliarites will no doubt try to claim otherwise.

[/quote]Strange that her luvvies haven''t rallied round to provide the facts regarding this land sale...... Looks very much to me like more of Robert Chases'' family silver being sold off to prop the old cook up.

[/quote]Yeah, your completely right, Bob''s policy of buy lots of land and sell all our best players has proven very succesful.[;)][/quote]Sell the players he bought in the first place you mean?  [:|][/quote]

He bought or the club bought???

Also, when you buy a house, the price you pay doesn''t just reflect the bricks and mortar but also the land etc that it is on doesn''t it?

Hardly the Chase family silver is it?

[/quote]In that case, how is Robert Chase responsible for this so called financial crisis?  Are you saying he had nothing to do with the huge success during his tenure or for the quality players and shrewd land purchases .....yet is resonsible for the inevitable bubble burst?  You can''t have it both ways......Yet more bilge aimed at the man who gave us the best years in our club''s history.... and continuing defence of the old cook who has done nothing but milk the NCFC brand to prolong her dwindling career.[/quote]So, you are essentially saying that Robert Chase ran the club well and left us in a strong financial position?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Was this land ''inherited'' from her predecessors.. or a result of Delia Smith''s alleged multi million pound investment?
[/quote]

I believe it was Chase mate although the potty Deliarites will no doubt try to claim otherwise.

[/quote]

Strange that her luvvies haven''t rallied round to provide the facts regarding this land sale...... Looks very much to me like more of Robert Chases'' family silver being sold off to prop the old cook up.

[/quote]

Yeah, your completely right, Bob''s policy of buy lots of land and sell all our best players has proven very succesful.

[;)]
[/quote]

Sell the players he bought in the first place you mean?  [:|]
[/quote]

He bought or the club bought???

Also, when you buy a house, the price you pay doesn''t just reflect the bricks and mortar but also the land etc that it is on doesn''t it?

Hardly the Chase family silver is it?

[/quote]

In that case, how is Robert Chase responsible for this so called financial crisis?  Are you saying he had nothing to do with the huge success during his tenure or for the quality players and shrewd land purchases .....yet is resonsible for the inevitable bubble burst?  You can''t have it both ways......

Yet more bilge aimed at the man who gave us the best years in our club''s history.... and continuing defence of the old cook who has done nothing but milk the NCFC brand to prolong her dwindling career.

[/quote]

So, you are essentially saying that Robert Chase ran the club well and left us in a strong financial position?
[/quote]

Cluck can you please point out where I have said it is completely down to him? Do that and I will respond to the rest of your questions!

Indeed we did sell players to finance other ventures. How else was it to be done. We built three new stands and a magnificent new training ground. We invested heavily in buying eight acres of land around the ground, which were a derelict mill and a car park. It was later sold for 15 times more than we paid for it.

I had plans big for that land and was going to erect my Chasedome but cruelly never got it built. What a lasting legacy that would have been for my wonderful 10 years in charge.

You should never forget that during my ten years here, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club.

Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated.

We also qualified for Europe on three occasions, but unfortunately, because of the English ban, we only had the opportunity to play in the competition once.

That was crowned by a trip to Bayern Munich when we beat them on their own soil.

[quote user="Bob The Builder"]

Indeed we did sell players to finance other ventures. How else was it to be done. We built three new stands and a magnificent new training ground. We invested heavily in buying eight acres of land around the ground, which were a derelict mill and a car park. It was later sold for 15 times more than we paid for it.

I had plans big for that land and was going to erect my Chasedome but cruelly never got it built. What a lasting legacy that would have been for my wonderful 10 years in charge.

You should never forget that during my ten years here, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club.Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated.We also qualified for Europe on three occasions, but unfortunately, because of the English ban, we only had the opportunity to play in the competition once.That was crowned by a trip to Bayern Munich when we beat them on their own soil.

[/quote]Don''t forget the end bit though, where we were relegated just as the Premiership became massive. And the sums of money available made our paltry debts barely worth thinking about.

You should never forget that during my ten years here, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club.

Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated.

We also qualified for Europe on three occasions, but unfortunately, because of the English ban, we only had the opportunity to play in the competition once.

That was crowned by a trip to Bayern Munich when we beat them on their own soil.

[/quote]

Indeed and what good times were had by all but please remind us when Mr Chase departed, what were the fortunes of the club on the field?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bob The Builder"]

[/quote]

Don''t forget the end bit though, where we were relegated just as the Premiership became massive. And the sums of money available made our paltry debts barely worth thinking about.
[/quote]

The question following on from that would be if we had all this land, why was some of it not sold once relegated to provide funds to the manager that would be sufficient to get promoted back to the rich league?

You should never forget that during my ten years here, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club.Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated.We also qualified for Europe on three occasions, but unfortunately, because of the English ban, we only had the opportunity to play in the competition once.That was crowned by a trip to Bayern Munich when we beat them on their own soil.

[/quote]Don''t forget the end bit though, where we were relegated just as the Premiership became massive. And the sums of money available made our paltry debts barely worth thinking about.

[quote user="First Wizard"]So Carrow Road will virtually vanish amidst an ugly mass of concrete now, nice.[/quote]

Stop complaining, it will blend in nicely with the hotel[;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]So Carrow Road will virtually vanish amidst an ugly mass of concrete now, nice.[/quote]I know you haven''t been there recently, but it''s not exactly Shangri-La at the moment.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]So long as a load of nimbys don''t move in, we''ll be ok. You can imagine that at least one twit will move into one of the proposed flats then complain about the noise and volume of people around on match days.[/quote]Aye, that''s what did for the live music at the Ferryboat (and then for the Ferryboat itself) - "that live music is too noisy!" said the people in the Riverside flats.

[quote user="City1st"]

As to what is done with the money it should be borne in minds that the banks stuck with us last season. I''m sure that part of that deal would have been the reduction of deferred payments when possible. Without that deferment I doubt we would have got out of div 1 at the first attempt. So it''s payback time. It would most likely have been that those deferments were secured against fixed assets. the carpark is an asset.

[/quote]

---

---

City1st is right. This was pretty much bound to happen. Payback time. The new guard at Carrow Road has made great play of its seven-year plan to eradicate the debt. Even if that doesn''t work entirely, reducing the debt still makes the club more attractive to potential owners. Posters can''t praise the board for trying to get finances under control and then turn round and criticise it for a serious step towards that aim.

Actually posters CAN do that, but it is, as Mr Spock[8-|] would say, quite illogical...

I''m afraid it''s akin to arguing blue is black with you lot.....At no point have I said Robert Chase didn''t run out of steam towards the end of his tenure.... but this naive Delia Smith inspired anti-Chase fantasy really does show how brainwashed you all are. I''m embarrassed for you.To the enlightened... the statistics/records clearly show just how great the Chase years were. If you want to argue with that you''re deluded. If you want to argue that Delia Smith wasn''t given a golden egg by her predecessors.... then you are deluded.  If you want to argue that Delia Smith''s tenure has been anything other than disastrous.... then you are deluded. If you consider that being an average Division Two club indicates anything other than stagnation... you are deluded.Sheep will be sheep....and as you peacefully graze... Delia Smith continues to suck your blood to sustain her own public wellbeing.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]So Carrow Road will virtually vanish amidst an ugly mass of concrete now, nice.[/quote]

I know you haven''t been there recently, but it''s not exactly Shangri-La at the moment.

[/quote]

There last week mate, oh, but you dont go any more do you?[:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]So Carrow Road will virtually vanish amidst an ugly mass of concrete now, nice.[/quote]I know you haven''t been there recently, but it''s not exactly Shangri-La at the moment.[/quote]

[/quote]Well done - I hope you didn''t feel too sick about putting some money into Delia''s pocket.Did you feel Carrow Road isn''t already an ugly mass of concrete?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]So Carrow Road will virtually vanish amidst an ugly mass of concrete now, nice.[/quote]

I know you haven''t been there recently, but it''s not exactly Shangri-La at the moment.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well done - I hope you didn''t feel too sick about putting some money into Delia''s pocket.

Did you feel Carrow Road isn''t already an ugly mass of concrete?
[/quote]

Inside is okay, quaint even, but outside its a blot on the landscape imo, now its set to get even worse.

One poster on here lives around that area, I bet they''re well pleased at this news.

Some people are talking as if the land sale includes the car park opposite the Jarold stand and new apartments will bwe built almost touching the stand formerly known as the South stand!

I''d doubt very much that this is the case. I''d say the land sale will probably include the land next to the river so that apartments will be built following the line of the river, a continuation of the apartments built built behind the River end stand. Also the Laurence Scott motors factory site will proabbly be built on.

It was going to happen and the land deals that Chase got involved in continue to benefit us although  during the last dark days of the Chase reign, 1994-96, they rather helped to f uck us up for the next 9 or so years and we''ve never fully recovered from!   

As long as sufficent room for stadium car parking and stadium expansion is included and people buying the apartments realise they are moving next to a football ground then there should be no problems! 

"but please remind us when Mr Chase departed, what were the fortunes of the club on the field?"

or maybe remind us what were the fortunes of the club ON AND OFF the field when Chase took over.

As per usual this is yet another stick that can be used by the usual malcontents to beat the club.

Unlike them I don''t subscribe to the wicked uncle or cruel stepmother scenario that is put up. I accept that without any reasoned argument that''s about all they have.It doesn''t mean that mistakes were not made. Not though, through wilful ill will.

On the positive side we have a fairly decent stadium. Many of you who followed the club away last season will be aware of the ramshackle stadiums that were the result of pusuing the same idiot actions as are often demanded on here.

The ground is almost sold out every game. Sure it''s filled with concessions etc but the club seems to have worked out how much they can get from the fans and reacted accordingly.

The training facilities and the youth policy appear excellent.

We are up there challenging. I don''t think a play off place is not out of our reach.

The club is being ran well. The quality of chief executive and manager suggests that alone. It is not being run like some basket cases like Bristol City or Preston, nor is it in the hands of some dodgy foreigner/off shore tax evader.

What it could do though is to flog off a few more items that might raise a few quid. The usual moaners and whingers on here. maybe the Theatre Royal might be interested, they could sit in the front row and boo and hiss at the pantomime.

If nothing else it would mean they actually visit the City.

GOD!

The Robert Chase years have to keep on getting dragged up all the time1

The truth about the Robert Chase era is that his policy of buying cheap players, bringing players through from the youth then selling them for profit and then doing the same thing over and over worked up until 1993 when after the Europe run he upset Mike Walker which was when we should have made more effort to keep the better players. After sacking Ken Brown rather harshly in 1987, Chase appointed from within with Dave Stringer and got lucky. When Stringer resigned near the end of the 1991/92 season he appointed Mike Walker the next season (cheap option again) and again got lucky. After Walker left he tryed the same cheap option by appointing Deehan and then Megson from within but by this time it wasn''t working. He then put an ace out of the bag by appointing Martin O Neil in the summer of 2005 but messed this up by not giving him funds, refusing to sign Dean Windass and tryign to fob everyone of by siging an over the hill Robert Fleck so he left with the club at the  time under O Neil looking capable of mounting a serious promotion push. O Neils departure really put the club into turmoil and again the unfortunate Megson was reappointed to be Chases puppet so was not going to be popular with the fans. Then in spring 1996 with the team stumbling to 2nd Division safety, players were sold of quickly in order to pay back bank loans and the club were not far from going bust. 

He done well with the stadium. From the ashes of the old City stand we had a barand new better version built then we had the new Barclay stand built without costing the penny very much as the costs were covered by some football ground grants.

It also became aparent in the early 90''s that Chase had invested in land around the stadium. This in the last 10 years has benefited us but in the mid 90''s with the club struggling in the 2nd Division put us in a muddle which is why Chase left.

My personal thoughts on Robert Chase is that he was good for the club up until 1993 which was when he should of changed his tactics. One thign I don''t like about Chase is that he played on the "little ole Norwich" myth too much and after the Europe we should have pushed more to keep the high standards up. Around the time Norwich City under Chase was turning to s hit was when the Prtemiership exploded moneywise. Has we of hung around the Premiership for 5 years longer instead of the 1995 relegation the club would of very likely pushed onto bigger unseen levels. However in recent times the club outside of the top flight have become bigger than what I''ve ever seen before in all aspects apart from the team which with our infrastructure and support is possible that we can become top regulars in the not too distant future.

Therefore I''m not in the "Chase was worse than Hitler brigade" and I don''t dislike the Delia Smith but I''m not nieve enough to think that those in charge will never make mistakes. Their human and all humans make mistakes!

So all in all the land sale has to be good news for the club as long as sufficient car parking is left and theirs room to expand the ground to over 35,000 should we ever be in a position to afford it! 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''d doubt very much that this is the case. I''d say the land sale will probably include the land next to the river so that apartments will be built following the line of the river, a continuation of the apartments built built behind the River end stand. Also the Laurence Scott motors factory site will proabbly be built on.

It was going to happen and the land deals that Chase got involved in continue to benefit us although  during the last dark days of the Chase reign, 1994-96, they rather helped to f uck us up for the next 9 or so years and we''ve never fully recovered from!   

[/quote]

Actually the Chase land purchase was at the rate of £160k per season for about five and half seasons if my memory is correct. Furthermore the purchase was interest free, i.e. no bank loan to finance the purchase. In addition  there was rental income of £50k per season from Carrow Commercials and additional fees re matchday car parking to offset against the annual £160k. So the net cash outflow of approx £105k per season for five and half years wasn''t really responsible for our demise as some people think!

Recent land sale - it will be interesting to read the Annual Report when its published to see if it defines exactly how much land has been sold in the recent deal (deal no. 2).  I believe (although I stand to be corrected on this) that there is a piece of not yet developed land next to the river and the existing flats that was sold in deal no 1 some years ago (see earlier post that referred to a report laid before the Norwich City Council Planning Applications Committee recently - last page of that report shows a map). 

It wouldn''t surprise me if the long building, aka. as the ex LSE test bed has been sold as part of deal 2.  Moreover I believe I am correct in saying (although I stand to be corrected) that the factory site that is currently in use doesn''t belong to NCFC or its subsidiary companies and the owners tried to get planning permission for that site a few years ago.

I hope the above helps.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

He then put an ace out of the bag by appointing Martin O Neil in the summer of 2005 but messed this up by not giving him funds, refusing to sign Dean Windass and tryign to fob everyone of by siging an over the hill Robert Fleck so he left with the club at the  time under O Neil looking capable of mounting a serious promotion push. O Neils departure really put the club into turmoil

[/quote]

I thought Chase borrowed £2m more from the bank so that the squad could be kept together and to fund the purchase of Fleck (£650k) and Rush (£300k). 

Windass would have been the better signing than Fleck.

I thought Chase borrowed £2m more from the bank so that the squad could be kept together and to fund the purchase of Fleck (£650k) and Rush (£300k). 

Windass would have been the better signing than Fleck.

------------------------------------------

BTW. the source of my comment about the £2m being borrowed is the NCFC Accounts.

Tangie, I remember that it was rumoured Chelsea hadn''t finished paying for Fleck when he came back so we didn''t actually have to find that £650,000. Do you recall any of that?

This is fantastic news.

I am sick and tired of all these yuppie developments around football stadia; what we have got here is a nice bit of retro with some local authority housing coming back to the hinterland of Carrow Road. The soon arriving Leeds fans need to know this so they can re-assess their opinions of us.

Does anyone else remember those post industrial landscapes of derelict factories, blackened walls, broken windows and spiked corrugated steel fencing? That was a real football landscape; not the modern modular buildings that make the area look like a lego set.

Come on Broadland, stick some proper low spec slums on the site and house a decent proportion of ex-cons, feckless single mums and substance abusers to give it some authenticity. Keep the gardens open plan for car dumping, fly tipping and the odd leylandii and re-home a few bull terriers to whomever wants one.

I''m going to have to change my route to matches to take in this new area because it will really add to the experience.