Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Whilst sitting in the cold at Reading on saturday in the second half....

I got to thinking about refereeing mistakes.

Now obviously the criticism of M. Oliver is fair enough ( I was booing him as well) the debate I want to start is about the intention behind the frankly ludicrous decisions that seem to becoming more frequent.

Question is: do referees make genuine human mistakes or do they set out to go against a teams?

If the consensus is that referees errors are just mistakes then maybe we should give them technology to wipe it out and in the mean time cut them a little bit of slack?

Thoughts?

OTBC

I think you have to distinguish between genuine mistakes, which all referees (and people) make from time to time, and poor judgement.  Oliver (6 reds in 12, 2 overturned in 2 weeks) has shown consistently poor judgement.  I don''t think people do it deliberately, it''s just some people (in all walks of life) don''t have the ability to make correct decisions.You could argue the FA showed poor judgement in fast-tracking a 25 year old with no previous professional experience.As with players, there should be some kind of disciplinary panel and three crap games in a row means you''re sent back to training for a week or two.

you could give 2 people the rules to the game to read and their interpretation of each law would be different... er go here is the problem.... thats human nature and no amount of training, technology or what not will fix that...

I think some of these refs have a personality problem weighed down by a massive chip on the shoulder.

I would hope that these bods are not only trained in the rules but in man management etc.

Unless an exceptional person, 25 years is way to young to take charge of Football League matches.

As far as Oliver is concerned he should be sent back to wherever he came from last year. Absolutely no excuse or his performance at Reading (or at Blackpool) . The bloke has a mighty problem!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]you could give 2 people the rules to the game to read and their interpretation of each law would be different... er go here is the problem.... thats human nature and no amount of training, technology or what not will fix that...
[/quote]

Jas....If you were sitting in the cold on Saturday,you couldve burnt the Union Flag to keep you warm!!LOL

I agree with chops remarks on this.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think you have to distinguish between genuine mistakes, which all referees (and people) make from time to time, and poor judgement.  Oliver (6 reds in 12, 2 overturned in 2 weeks) has shown consistently poor judgement.  I don''t think people do it deliberately, it''s just some people (in all walks of life) don''t have the ability to make correct decisions.

You could argue the FA showed poor judgement in fast-tracking a 25 year old with no previous professional experience.

As with players, there should be some kind of disciplinary panel and three crap games in a row means you''re sent back to training for a week or two.
[/quote]

Tricky one - would an older ref have come to a different decision?  We''ll never know

As a ref you can only give what you see at the time, and you dont have the benefit of god knows how many replays.  Nor do you have the elevated view you get from most stands - you are on the same level, hopefully only a few yards away, hopefully with the best angle and no other players in the way.  Its been stated elsewhere that from one angle it looks like Holt went in studs-up...and you dont have to make contact for it to be violent conduct, the intent only has to be there

Having said that I think the incident over the drop ball was where the ref lost it - I could see Reading wanted to contest it although my mate was adamant they couldnt/wouldnt.  Holt gave the ref some backchat - hence the ref speaking to him - and Im sure that was in Olivers mind a few minutes later

Plus the ref wasnt helped by Harte - in the end it was pure cheating BUT if Holt HAD injured Harte and the ref had ignored it that would have been even worse (from a football perspective).

MO has had a couple of contreversial games now - and 2 cards recinded.  I wonder what the assessor thought of it all, not to mention his dad - who is also a ref....I wouldnt mind  betting MO will disappear for a few weeks at least til things calm down again.  He may turn into a good ref one day - but I do think hes got a way to go

With a number of refs, it is all about attitude and how they are perceived by their peers. They must look strong, be willing to readily make the "big" decisions and not display weakness. The guy in question has not accumulated the necessary experience to get the major decisions right. He wants to play the part of the big, hard man but is a miilion miles away from it. All he is doing is giving a superb impression of being an incompetent buffoon with little or no knowledge of the game. As soon as a major incident occurs, his only solution is to whip out his cards and flash them. His man management skills appear to be non-existent and, as a result, he is not able to earn the respect that is so important in effectively controlling a game. His incompetence is only equalled by those who had the wisdom to place him in this position in the first place.