Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Segregating fans is losing us revenue

I was reading the article about the record crowds and the comment that we can''t ever achieve max capacity of 27,000 because of segregation between fans. Soooo, i wondered how we could get round this. How about we just put kids in the segregated bit? And ask them all to where white or something? No? Or a big temporary screen that only takes one row of seats? Any other ideas?

How about letting a load of doormen in who support neither side that would enable the maximum attendance to be achieved, no trouble to occur and a visible security presence near the away support.

[quote user="childishsmileyface"] Or put them all in the Top of the Terrace behind toughened glass.[/quote]

They already go in there!

A few seasons ago there was a Derby fan in there taunting some of the fans in the LB from behind his toughened glass. An angry City fan must have injured himself jumping up trying to thump the glass. He didn''t seem to feel any pain at the time though. I think the Derby fan got nicked on the way out.

How about putting them in the community stand? Not sure what the capacity is but if it is not full then you could make the top terrace as a family area as a way of hopefully reducing trouble. This would then mean that the only seats lost at sellout games would be due to lack of away fans.

I think it is as much segegating them at half tike and after the game as it is during the game.

I do question the amount of space needed to seperate the fans. We all know the draconian measures implemented against those who go onto the pitch, yet there is very little to stop anyone getting on if they want.

Maybe the club should look at the same with regard to keeping the fans apart. After all it''s pretty much a free for al before and after the game.

Why don''t we just charge the away team for every ticket that can''t be sold because of segregation at full price. I''m sure the amount of segregation varies depending on the team - leeds and millwall more. So the teams that have good fans would pay less as we''d have more seats.

[quote user="NorwichCasual"]How about a fence with razor wire at the top.  Like Jurassic Park.  And when leeds come down electrify it as well[/quote]

I think nearby fans in the Jarrold would also have to be equipped with taser guns for Leeds. Just to make sure...

Interestingly at Portaloo Road for the derbies there is only a row of stewards and the gangway so no seats lost. In the block nearest the home fans its even share a turnstile & stairwell. However I think ours may be down to the local plod and licensing people from the council being over cautious ....or is it just we''re better behaved!!

[quote user="a1canary"]I was reading the article about the record crowds and the comment that we can''t ever achieve max capacity of 27,000 because of segregation between fans. Soooo, i wondered how we could get round this. How about we just put kids in the segregated bit? And ask them all to wear white or something? No? Or a big temporary screen that only takes one row of seats? Any other ideas?
[/quote]

We play Leeds next - some of their less desirable fans would enjoy bullying children even if they were wearing white!

of course a corner infill between the Barclay and Jarrold running at 100% occupancy would have made more revenue then an empty shell of a hotel that currently sits there... but then we all already knew this...pity the board didn''t....

[quote user="Hunter106"]How about putting them in the community stand? Not sure what the capacity is but if it is not full then you could make the top terrace as a family area as a way of hopefully reducing trouble. This would then mean that the only seats lost at sellout games would be due to lack of away fans.[/quote]

No, because I sit there and I like my seat![;)] 

Anyway, the bottom tier of it is quite small so you would not be able to get a lot of away fans in there.  And I think the entire capacity for the upper and lower tier of it is something like 1,800, so it would be no good.

"of course a corner infill between the Barclay and Jarrold running at 100% occupancy would have made more revenue then an empty shell of a hotel that currently sits there... but then we all already knew this..."

but none of us were prepared to put up the money to pay for it, though

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Interestingly at Portaloo Road for the derbies there is only a row of stewards and the gangway so no seats lost. In the block nearest the home fans its even share a turnstile & stairwell. However I think ours may be down to the local plod and licensing people from the council being over cautious ....or is it just we''re better behaved!![/quote]Yes, that is weird.I suppose the reason for only minimal stewarding in '' no mans land '' at Portman Road is that most of the Ipswich fans in there are even older than most of those in our City Stand and would be likely to keel over if stirred from their slumbers if anything kicked off.It is pretty amusing to be herded off the train amidst security tighter than transportation to Alcatraz - vans, dogs, horses, helicopter, etc, etc - only to climb up the communal staircase shoulder-to-shoulder with Ipswich fans who peel off to the right and us to the left once in the ground.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Interestingly at Portaloo Road for the derbies there is only a row of stewards and the gangway so no seats lost. In the block nearest the home fans its even share a turnstile & stairwell. However I think ours may be down to the local plod and licensing people from the council being over cautious ....or is it just we''re better behaved!![/quote]

Yes, that is weird.

I suppose the reason for only minimal stewarding in '' no mans land '' at Portman Road is that most of the Ipswich fans in there are even older than most of those in our City Stand and would be likely to keel over if stirred from their slumbers if anything kicked off.

It is pretty amusing to be herded off the train amidst security tighter than transportation to Alcatraz - vans, dogs, horses, helicopter, etc, etc - only to climb up the communal staircase shoulder-to-shoulder with Ipswich fans who peel off to the right and us to the left once in the ground.
[/quote]

I agree its bizarre. Even a shared bar area once you get to the top of the stairs. Only reason it doens''t kick off is that the average age of the Ipswich fans using it is probably in the low eighties. I doubt they will get away with it this year though with the evening kick off!

The hotel represents a diversified revenue stream Jas. So when the club has sunk under the weight of its debt, there''s no team left, and nothing but tubmleweed blowing across the pitch, the hotel will still be there and we''ll still be getting a cheque for a few grand every year to keep the lights on!

of course a corner infill between the Barclay and Jarrold running at 100% occupancy would have made more revenue then an empty shell of a hotel that currently sits there... but then we all already knew this...

pity the board didn''t....

Who says we can''t put seats in front of the hotel now?

Last year the board said that within the current stadium footprint they could add 2-3000 more seats to the capacity. In the summer they added 1000 by moving the perimeter fence forward to squeeze in new front rows in the River end (2 rows), Jarold (1 row) and the City stand (1 row). They also reorganised the seating layout in the River end upper tier which gained over 100 extra seats and added a new back row to the Barclay lower tier.

This leaves 1-2000 of the 2-3000 mentioned by the board at the AGM. Now I''d imagine that another row could possibly be squeezed in the front of the Barclay lower tier (existing front row is very low in relation to the pitch as it is) but after that, apart from taking out the media section in the City stand (wouldn''t happen) which is towards the Snakepit then its difficult to see where more seats could be put in the existing stands without extending or building upwards. This is why I think that possibly the 2-3000 the board spoke of last year includes extending the Jarold round in front of the hotel?

With regards to the seats lost to segregation. Yes this is frustrating especially when you go to Portaloo Road and you can virtually touch the S cummers the other side of the thin line of stewards and when you watch a game from the Emirates and their segregation isn''t even half as wide as ours is. Doncaster told me it wasn''t in the clubs hands and they were working to regulations.

To me for most games against clubs with "normal" fans the width of segregation is a bit over the top but against the animals that masquerade as Leeds fans I''m sure the majority enjoy having some space between them!

The segregations levels for Leeds fans and Ips hit fans (Leeds have 150ish less tickets than the Binners because they are more of a risk and need more segregation!) is further evidence why moving the Derby games to Sundays is so wrong!

If it was possible to put another tier on the Jarold (some say it isn''t but I''m not sure?) then that would be a good place to put away fans. And yes I remember the early days of the current Barclay end when away fans were put in the upper tier and what happened but I''m sure if away fans were put in a Jarold then it would be different nowadays particularly since the average Jarrold stand occupant aren''t like those in the Barclay lower!

Hopefully more capacity increases will be possible sooner rather than later and they''ll be more room for home fans.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Interestingly at Portaloo Road for the derbies there is only a row of stewards and the gangway so no seats lost. In the block nearest the home fans its even share a turnstile & stairwell. However I think ours may be down to the local plod and licensing people from the council being over cautious ....or is it just we''re better behaved!![/quote]

Yes, that is weird.

I suppose the reason for only minimal stewarding in '' no mans land '' at Portman Road is that most of the Ipswich fans in there are even older than most of those in our City Stand and would be likely to keel over if stirred from their slumbers if anything kicked off.

It is pretty amusing to be herded off the train amidst security tighter than transportation to Alcatraz - vans, dogs, horses, helicopter, etc, etc - only to climb up the communal staircase shoulder-to-shoulder with Ipswich fans who peel off to the right and us to the left once in the ground.
[/quote]

Well now Smithy.. I hate to break this to you so I hope you''re sitting down... the average age of the City fans in that block isn''t much lower! Now I know in your minds eye you are still that sprightly young fan from the sixties but I''m afraid the reality is that like me you are viewed as old, decrepit and harmless. I have noticed that the City fans in that block are away ST holders and old codgers like us. And if the more lively of us are caught mouthing or gesturing towards those simple folk a few feet away to our right we are ejected. I have two golden rules. If they score I don''t turn around even for a second but when we score I give them a huge grin. One of them is certain to gesture and be helped down the stairs for a while. It all changes after the game when they won''t even let you go for a pee. As some of us have incontinence just around the corner this is a worry[:S]

Thats the crazy irony of our wide segregation at Carrow Road!

Go to Portaloo Road for the away Derby game and in that awful stand that houses the away fans, go downstairs for some refreshments or to use the toilets and walk through the revolving doors and your right amongst the S cummers!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

If it was possible to put another tier on the Jarold (some say it isn''t but I''m not sure?) then that would be a good place to put away fans. And yes I remember the early days of the current Barclay end when away fans were put in the upper tier and what happened but I''m sure if away fans were put in a Jarold then it would be different nowadays particularly since the average Jarrold stand occupant aren''t like those in the Barclay lower!

[/quote]

Why would it be different nowadays? If the away fans were in the proposed upper tier of the Jarrold Stand then it''s their behaviour that affects the home supporters below. I personally wouldn''t enjoy missiles being thrown from above [:@]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Interestingly at Portaloo Road for the derbies there is only a row of stewards and the gangway so no seats lost. In the block nearest the home fans its even share a turnstile & stairwell. However I think ours may be down to the local plod and licensing people from the council being over cautious ....or is it just we''re better behaved!![/quote]Yes, that is weird.I suppose the reason for only minimal stewarding in '' no mans land '' at Portman Road is that most of the Ipswich fans in there are even older than most of those in our City Stand and would be likely to keel over if stirred from their slumbers if anything kicked off.It is pretty amusing to be herded off the train amidst security tighter than transportation to Alcatraz - vans, dogs, horses, helicopter, etc, etc - only to climb up the communal staircase shoulder-to-shoulder with Ipswich fans who peel off to the right and us to the left once in the ground.[/quote]

Well now Smithy.. I hate to break this to you so I hope you''re sitting down... the average age of the City fans in that block isn''t much lower! Now I know in your minds eye you are still that sprightly young fan from the sixties but I''m afraid the reality is that like me you are viewed as old, decrepit and harmless. I have noticed that the City fans in that block are away ST holders and old codgers like us. And if the more lively of us are caught mouthing or gesturing towards those simple folk a few feet away to our right we are ejected. I have two golden rules. If they score I don''t turn around even for a second but when we score I give them a huge grin. One of them is certain to gesture and be helped down the stairs for a while. It all changes after the game when they won''t even let you go for a pee. As some of us have incontinence just around the corner this is a worry[:S]

[/quote]

Well b*gger me Nutty, I never could fathom out how my Dad was always staring at me when I''ve looked in the mirror just lately.......

Being a more '' mature '' fan does indeed have it''s problems. I think your two golden rules make sense for us lot especially in moments of high drama. To rant and rave at the opposition fans presents the very real danger of a dental plate flying off into '' no mans land '' in which case when we do score a big smile, rather than a big toothless grin, might avoid the home fans ridicule resulting from the unintended Iwan Roberts impersonation.The days of Ipswich turning us over by four or five are hopefully long gone which is just as well as turning round too often might result in another type of '' turn '' requiring swift medical attention.

Those off-pitch dribbles are a looming concern. Following on from recent correspondence on here regarding lucky underpants perhaps our Club Shop might consider a Christmas line in musical '' That was lucky incontinence pants ''. A huge seller for City Standers no doubt although as yet I can''t say I''m very familiar with such items.

Although if memory serves me correctly there was that lads night out in Soho when........oh no, b*oody hell, I thought I was still logged onto that other forum I always use all the time....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yes, that is weird.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well b*gger me Nutty, I never could fathom out how my Dad was always staring at me when I''ve looked in the mirror just lately.......

Being a more '' mature '' fan does indeed have it''s problems. I think your two golden rules make sense for us lot especially in moments of high drama. To rant and rave at the opposition fans presents the very real danger of a dental plate flying off into '' no mans land '' in which case when we do score a big smile, rather than a big toothless grin, might avoid the home fans ridicule resulting from the unintended Iwan Roberts impersonation.The days of Ipswich turning us over by four or five are hopefully long gone which is just as well as turning round too often might result in another type of '' turn '' requiring swift medical attention.

Those off-pitch dribbles are a looming concern. Following on from recent correspondence on here regarding lucky underpants perhaps our Club Shop might consider a Christmas line in musical '' That was lucky incontinence pants ''. A huge seller for City Standers no doubt although as yet I can''t say I''m very familiar with such items.

Although if memory serves me correctly there was that lads night out in Soho when........oh no, b*oody hell, I thought I was still logged onto that other forum I always use all the time....

[/quote]

Not a chance of Nutty losing his dental plate as most of the time he talks out of his backside[:D]