Sign in to follow this  
Europe_93

So what decision would you most like our club to have overturned??

What is the worst decision our club has made in the past? If you could go back in time and change it what would it be?

Roeder - for me. You can put up with not good enough but to have contempt for the fans, club etc wrankles.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]Not selling Chris Sutton
[/quote]

[Y]

Gunn,just for the way it turned us against him!

Allowing Worthington to let go of Iwan and Malky at the end of the promotion season.

Oh dear me i think i might just have asked for trouble with is one from a certain poster[;)]

Now that some time has passed I would like to get a perspective from Craig Fleming on whether he believes if Malky had stayed with Norwich when we were promoted to the Premiership ( whether he played week after week or not ) it would have resulted in enough heart at the club to keep us safe for a second Premiership season.  I mean, after all, we only just missed out. Imagine the consequences of that - we would have probably improved our finances considerably, there would have been less attacks on the owners of the club, Nigel Worthington would probably have still been manager for another couple of seasons, the meeting at St. Andrew''s Hall might never have taken place and NCISA might have been a "true" supporters club. The downside would have been whatever would we have discussed on this forum. 

Except that Worthy wanted to keep Malky but couldn''t guarantee Malky that he''d play week in week out. Malky, to his eternal credit, then engineered himself a move to West Ham where he was guaranteed to play week in week out. After West Ham were promoted Malky asked the same questions and got the same answers so he engineered himself a move to Watford where he played week in week out. The other version is one of the many things that was made up during a hateful campaign against Worthington. As I said at the time, and many times since, if Worthy was such a bad manager why did people find it neccessary to make up stuff to discredit him.

I reckon the decision I''d like most to be overturned or wish never happened was replacing Worthy with a certain poster''s  favourite Peter Grant. This downgrade in management brought about the fastest downgrade of the playing squad I have ever seen. Earnshaw to Cureton, Etuhu to Russell, Safri to Fotheringham and the a load of no marks and has beens which left the club with no money and no players good enough to compete in the Championship. The remaining Worthy players Hucks and Dion were enough to keep us up for one season but when they packed up we were left stranded.

As Christopher Columbus was allegedly a City fan.... I''d say discovering America was a bit of a p!sser......Look at all of the sh*t that would have saved us.Bastard........

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Bringing in Bob the grocer as Chairman.[/quote]

If Bob The Builder hadn''t been chased out it would never have happened.

As a matter of interest, Nutty, what is your source for the Malky story? I''ve never seen this claim made anywhere else before on this messageboard or in the media.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Not giving Robert Chase time to turn things around.....
[/quote]

Ah, you must mean the extra two days that it would have taken for the Club to be wound up!

[quote user="yellow hammer"]As a matter of interest, Nutty, what is your source for the Malky story? I''ve never seen this claim made anywhere else before on this messageboard or in the media.[/quote]

It was at the time. It was reported he parted ways with us to seek regular first team football.

Iwan left for pretty much the same reason but sadly didn''t do greatly after us anyway.

The only reason people have to have kept them is to have helped keep the spirit at the club but when you consider they may not have been happy at getting a game every now and then I am not sure the spirit would have been that great.

Plus people need to remember that its a lack of goals that cost us in the end. Too many draws. One goal in one of those draws and we would have stayed up.

So my answer? Buying Dean Ashton in the summer before the prem campaign and not leaving it until it was almost to late.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Not giving Robert Chase time to turn things around..... [/quote]

Ah, you must mean the extra two days that it would have taken for the Club to be wound up!

[/quote]What''s the weather like in La la land then? Wet as usual it seems.

[quote user="The Butler"]Buying someone those last 2 glasses of sherry before half time[;)][/quote]Ha![:D]

Allowing the brouhaha over the rebuilding of the City Stand to assume such importance that it led to the departure of Arthur South and his replacement by R*bert Ch*se.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]As a matter of interest, Nutty, what is your source for the Malky story? I''ve never seen this claim made anywhere else before on this messageboard or in the media.[/quote]

Well as I remember it Malky was still here at the beginning of the Premiership Season and wasn''t released at the end of the previous season as is often claimed. Of course we couldn''t release him because he was contracted to the club. I''m sure Mackay went on the pre-season tour to Malaysia but didn''t even make the bench for any of the four August fixtures. I believe there was a bid from Coventry accepted while Malky was away on International duties but this broke down. Days later we heard a bid of £300,000 had been accepted from West Ham.

Whilst both player and club have to be happy for these deals to go through I believe footballing reasons was the official reason for the transfer. When Worthy paid tribute to Malky he spoke of his desire to play first team football because of the International career which had come to him late but was much cherished.

As I said, all credit to Malky for wanting to play first team football and not sit kicking his heels and drawing his money as many others do. All credit to the club too for recognising that the deal was best for both parties.

Iwan was very different because he was out of contract that summer. For those who think a new contract should have been offered I''d like to know how much of a tight Premiership football budget they thought should have been allocated.

I thought twice about posting this for fear of another attack by "those who know best" accusing me of wanting the last word. But because it''s you yellow hammer I will risk it for a swisskit[;)] However, I will leave it at that and I will not be back. [:P]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Except that Worthy wanted to keep Malky but couldn''t guarantee Malky that he''d play week in week out. Malky, to his eternal credit, then engineered himself a move to West Ham where he was guaranteed to play week in week out. After West Ham were promoted Malky asked the same questions and got the same answers so he engineered himself a move to Watford where he played week in week out. The other version is one of the many things that was made up during a hateful campaign against Worthington. As I said at the time, and many times since, if Worthy was such a bad manager why did people find it neccessary to make up stuff to discredit him.

I reckon the decision I''d like most to be overturned or wish never happened was replacing Worthy with a certain poster''s  favourite Peter Grant. This downgrade in management brought about the fastest downgrade of the playing squad I have ever seen. Earnshaw to Cureton, Etuhu to Russell, Safri to Fotheringham and the a load of no marks and has beens which left the club with no money and no players good enough to compete in the Championship. The remaining Worthy players Hucks and Dion were enough to keep us up for one season but when they packed up we were left stranded.

[/quote]

The fastest downgrade in the playing squad you have ever seen Nutty was brought about by Earnshaw and Etuhu having clauses in their contracts allowing them to leave if certain offers were put in.In the case of Earnshaw it was £2.5 million and Etuhu £500,000.My mate Granty was unaware of those clauses and i will leave it to you decide who was to blame for that Doomcaster or Worthington or maybe both.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well as I remember it Malky was still here at the beginning of the Premiership Season and wasn''t released at the end of the previous season as is often claimed. Of course we couldn''t release him because he was contracted to the club. I''m sure Mackay went on the pre-season tour to Malaysia but didn''t even make the bench for any of the four August fixtures. I believe there was a bid from Coventry accepted while Malky was away on International duties but this broke down. Days later we heard a bid of £300,000 had been accepted from West Ham.

Whilst both player and club have to be happy for these deals to go through I believe footballing reasons was the official reason for the transfer. When Worthy paid tribute to Malky he spoke of his desire to play first team football because of the International career which had come to him late but was much cherished.

As I said, all credit to Malky for wanting to play first team football and not sit kicking his heels and drawing his money as many others do. All credit to the club too for recognising that the deal was best for both parties.

Iwan was very different because he was out of contract that summer. For those who think a new contract should have been offered I''d like to know how much of a tight Premiership football budget they thought should have been allocated.

I thought twice about posting this for fear of another attack by "those who know best" accusing me of wanting the last word. But because it''s you yellow hammer I will risk it for a swisskit[;)] However, I will leave it at that and I will not be back. [:P]

[/quote]

I suppose 14 appearances for West Ham in a season and 52 in three seasons at Watford can be stretched to be called regular first team football.[;)]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Not giving Robert Chase time to turn things around.....
[/quote]

[/quote]

What''s the weather like in La la land then? Wet as usual it seems.

[/quote]

There''s only one of us living in la la land Robert and it ain''t me!

[quote user="yellow hammer"]As a matter of interest, Nutty, what is your source for the Malky story? I''ve never seen this claim made anywhere else before on this messageboard or in the media.[/quote]Me neither.  Worthy could''ve easily said at the time,  ''Malky has chosen to leave''.  Similar to the Russell sit-u-ashun, notmean.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="yellow hammer"]As a matter of interest, Nutty, what is your source for the Malky story? I''ve never seen this claim made anywhere else before on this messageboard or in the media.[/quote] It was at the time. It was reported he parted ways with us to seek regular first team football. Iwan left for pretty much the same reason but sadly didn''t do greatly after us anyway. The only reason people have to have kept them is to have helped keep the spirit at the club but when you consider they may not have been happy at getting a game every now and then I am not sure the spirit would have been that great. Plus people need to remember that its a lack of goals that cost us in the end. Too many draws. One goal in one of those draws and we would have stayed up. So my answer? Buying Dean Ashton in the summer before the prem campaign and not leaving it until it was almost to late.[/quote]

Trouble is that Iwan''s book completely contradicts that view.  He wanted to stay but Worthy would not renew his contract.  No disrespect to you but I''m treating Iwan as the more relaible source