Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Record-breaking crowds at Carrow Road...

Some on here will experience their biggest home gate in the next couple of games.

Makes you think when you realise our average in our first season in the old division 1 was over 28000.

Without getting the books out, the biggest I recall were the 34000 for the ''73 Chelsea league cup semi final, and the relegation decider against Palace with 36000 in the same season.

Seems mad to think we used to pack that many in, even up to 42000 before my time.

A long way to go before we get anywhere near the record.There have been 4 attendances of over 40k and all were in the FA Cup.Leicester          1963    43,984Portsmouth       1950    43129Sunderland       1961    41949Sheff Wed        1967    41000  The only one I missed was 1950, but I was only four and a half at the time so some exscuse.Our biggest league gate in the top tier (thats the old division 1) was Palace 1973   36688Our biggest league gate in the second tier (thats the old division 2) was Villa 1975  35943

Our biggest league gate in the third tier (thats the old division 3S) was Forest 1948  37863Again, I saw the two in the 70''s but was still feasting on National dried milk for t''other one.All stats thanks to Roger Smith''s great little book (The Canary Companion)

I''m not sure if the Palace figure was accurate. It was mayhem. I got there early and still queued for ages. The queues were hideous.

I got in at the Barclay next to the main stand.My usual turnstile which would see me walk up the steps in front then up an along the back of Barclay before heading down about a third of the way down.

This was impossible. I couldn''t even get up the steps and clambered up the grass and walked along the back behind the Barclay. It was chaos. Loads were in front of me, trying to squeeze their way in with those coming up the steps. The problem was that no one was moving.I was stil trying to squeeze my way down the terraces when we kicked off.

One abiding memory was the whole ground ''singing'' On the Ball City. It just seemed to roll round the ground with various parts singing in tune with each other. I cringe when I hear it barked out now in the manner of some over excited poodle trapped in a car.

[quote user="City1st"]I''m not sure if the Palace figure was accurate. It was mayhem. I got there early and still queued for ages. The queues were hideous.

I got in at the Barclay next to the main stand.My usual turnstile which would see me walk up the steps in front then up an along the back of Barclay before heading down about a third of the way down.

This was impossible. I couldn''t even get up the steps and clambered up the grass and walked along the back behind the Barclay. It was chaos. Loads were in front of me, trying to squeeze their way in with those coming up the steps. The problem was that no one was moving.I was stil trying to squeeze my way down the terraces when we kicked off.

One abiding memory was the whole ground ''singing'' On the Ball City. It just seemed to roll round the ground with various parts singing in tune with each other. I cringe when I hear it barked out now in the manner of some over excited poodle trapped in a car.[/quote]Yes C1st, it was a bit like that for the record gate against Leicester. I was standing near the back in the centre of the old South stand close to the halfway line. There were thousands milling about in the top gangway who I am sure never saw much of the game. It was a hell of a crush but I managed to get in front of a barrier so had a decent view of the match. No chance of a pee at half time though.I have to agree with you about singing "OTBC". It used to make the hairs on you neck stand on end when it rung round the ground. When and why it changed to this stupid chant I cannot fathom.

Like you Ricardo, I was at all except the Portsmouth match, which was replay after we tied them at their ground. We did not get a good result in the "big attendance" matches although, of course, we were spoiled in ''59.

There have been 4 attendances of over 40k and all were in the FA Cup.

Leicester          1963    43,984    L 0-2  ( what an atmosphere in that match - our fifth FA Cup match in the month of March. Is that right? My memory registers three )
Portsmouth       1950    43129   L 0-2
Sunderland       1961    41949    L 0-1    
Sheff Wed        1967    41000    L 1-3 

Well spotted Yankee. It does seem that we disappoint when we get a really big turnout. I looked up the records for the league matches and the only one we won was against Palace and that was a last gasp winner. We lost the Forest game 4-3 and the Villa game 4-1.

Good to see obviously!

I think we''d of probably had well over 10 games at Carrow Road with 30,000+ crowds in the last 5 or so years had the capacity allowed!

Looking back now it seems crazy that that we used to be able to fit just under 44,000 into the old Carrow Road when the old ground seemed smaller than what it is now!

I suppose if we had 1950/60''s ground regulations and health safety nowadays combined with terracing then the modern Carrow Road would probably hold the best part of 50,000!

Hopefully I''ll be around long enough to see Carrow Road host its first 30,000+ crowd for many years in the not too distant future!

Losing to Sheffield Wednesday was a big disappointment, as we''d won at Old Trafford the round before. But Leicester were a classy side (Banks, McClintock, Gibson, Stringfellow) and my memory, jammed into the Barclay, is they were just a bit too good for us.

Sheffield Wednesday was my first game Purple and us kids were right at the front of the South Stand. It was quite scarey at times but I loved it. My Memory is sketchy but I remember Tommy Bryceland scoring for us and also the mascots walking around the pitch. And there seemed to be Sheffield Wednesday fans everywhere.

For the Palace game I was in the Riverend and it felt unbelievably packed in there. But we went crazy after Stringer scored. When there were really big crowds at Carrow Road leaving the ground was quite an experience too. With terracing on three sides the thousands would teem through those big exit gates and Carrow Road would be jam packed from side to side. As a younster it always felt like if you lifted your feet from the ground you would be carried along by the crowds.

[quote user="City1st"]I''m not sure if the Palace figure was accurate. It was mayhem. I got there early and still queued for ages. The queues were hideous. I got in at the Barclay next to the main stand.My usual turnstile which would see me walk up the steps in front then up an along the back of Barclay before heading down about a third of the way down. This was impossible. I couldn''t even get up the steps and clambered up the grass and walked along the back behind the Barclay. It was chaos. Loads were in front of me, trying to squeeze their way in with those coming up the steps. The problem was that no one was moving.I was stil trying to squeeze my way down the terraces when we kicked off. One abiding memory was the whole ground ''singing'' On the Ball City. It just seemed to roll round the ground with various parts singing in tune with each other. I cringe when I hear it barked out now in the manner of some over excited poodle trapped in a car.[/quote]

In those days,appranttly you could bribe the turnstile guy,as my brother and his mates never paid,as he couldnt afford the 25p!! Tight a###

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Losing to Sheffield Wednesday was a big disappointment, as we''d won at Old Trafford the round before. But Leicester were a classy side (Banks, McClintock, Gibson, Stringfellow) and my memory, jammed into the Barclay, is they were just a bit too good for us.

[/quote]

My memory is the same as yours Purple but it was a cracking atmosphere and match. Leicester were a slick side and went on to the final, losing to Manchester United.

Speaking of memory, I was confused when I checked the records, which indicate we played five FA cup matches in the month of March that year. Blackpool on March 4th, replay against Blackpool March 6th, Newcastle United March 13th and Manchester City March 16th, before going on to play Leicester at the end of the month. Sounds crazy today. My memory must be faulty because I don''t recall it that way. What do you actually remember Purple compared to the record I quoted here?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

My memory is the same as yours Purple but it was a cracking atmosphere and match. Leicester were a slick side and went on to the final, losing to Manchester United.

Speaking of memory, I was confused when I checked the records, which indicate we played five FA cup matches in the month of March that year. Blackpool on March 4th, replay against Blackpool March 6th, Newcastle United March 13th and Manchester City March 16th, before going on to play Leicester at the end of the month. Sounds crazy today. My memory must be faulty because I don''t recall it that way. What do you actually remember Purple compared to the record I quoted here?

[/quote]

Didn''t we have a very bad and long winter in Jan and Feb of that year causing fixture pile-ups Yankee?  

"I have to agree with you about singing "OTBC". It used to make the hairs on you neck stand on end when it rung round the ground. When and why it changed to this stupid chant I cannot fathom."

It used to be a song rarely sung. Nobody took it up it seemed unless it was a special occasion, and boy did the whole ground know when to sing it.

To see young lads, eyes popping, faces contorted, shrieking the words out like some cuckoo clock on speed is not only a sad sight but an embarrssment. For those who have not heard it sung listen to the Brummies singing ''Keep right on to the end of the road'' or the Kop in full force with ''Walk on'' - now imagine that barked out like some yappy dog.

The Carrow Road shuffle, up past the main stand and onto the bridge.You usually had to stand still a few times - no fun trying to go the other way.

Used to go through the Juniors and OAPS turnstile and still get served in the bar at the back of the Barclay - well before I was old enough and well after I was too old. The club got the same money either way.

The free for all and squeezing in where you could was all part of the fun of it. I''m sure a fair few thousand saw bugger all of the game. If you were in the Barclay on a busy day and anything exciting happened you would get a ''surge'' and down you would all tumble. Thank god for crush barriers, but heaven help you if you didn''t duck under them quick enough.

Happy days

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yankee, 1963 was a pig of a winter. Our 3rd round tie against Blackpool was postponed ELEVEN times! So it wasn''t played until March. And, then, of course, it was a draw!

So we did play all those games in a short space of time.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn''t we have a very bad and long winter in Jan and Feb of that year causing fixture pile-ups Yankee?  

[/quote]Yes Lapp, worst winter in living memory, (I was too young to remember 1947). The temperature was at or below freezing for about 6 weeks. I have an abiding memory of cycling along Magpie Road with about 4 ft of snow piled up on each side. It made last winter seem like a picnic.

[/quote]

[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/mfjhgjhj.png[/IMG]

If you right click the image above and then view image you can see it full size, it seems the message board has shrunk it.

"cycling along Magpie Road with about 4 ft of snow piled up on each side"

bloody soft City folk

I was up in North Norfolk with little between us and the artic - snow had drifted six or seven feet in places, and that was just our living room

at times there were all of our family huddled around a fridge with it''s door open just to keep warm

I remember going up to bed with a bag of snowballs to keep the cold out - which reminds me it was no fun going to school wearing shorts either

[quote user="City1st"]"cycling along Magpie Road with about 4 ft of snow piled up on each side"

bloody soft City folk

I was up in North Norfolk with little between us and the artic - snow had drifted six or seven feet in places, and that was just our living room

at times there were all of our family huddled around a fridge with it''s door open just to keep warm

I remember going up to bed with a bag of snowballs to keep the cold out - which reminds me it was no fun going to school wearing shorts either[/quote]

Ay mate.If you told that to the kids today they wouldn''t believe you.

I''m quite a young chap and have never been on the terraces or heard this really good ''on the ball city'' you seem to talk of.  I quite like our chant how it is now but I have never heard it any other way.  My Dad tells me though that the ''kick it off, throw it in'' bit never used to be sung, is this true?  And if so, how did it actually go? 

I can remember the game against villa in 1975 . Although we were quite a good side , Villa were much better and gave us a good hiding at carrow road , but the thing that sticks in my mind was the sound of the south stand at full voice signing " we are norwich super norwich carrow road " jesus christ it really gave me goosebumps . Nearly 36,000 at carrow road incredible !

Carrow Road has always had a good atmosphere for all the big crowd games against teams we don''t like or vital games. This was the case in the olden days of terracing and the all seater era. Indeed the wonderful atmosphere at the UEFA cup game aginst Bayern Munich for me ranks up there with most games in the terraced era in my opinion! 

I was there from the 50''s onwards for nearly all the big games mentioned and many others. This rose tinted glasses opinion that Carrow Road was rocking for every game in the 60''s/70''s is such a massive myth. Yes the ground was rocking at big games like it was at the Leeds home game last season but I remember going to 2nd Division games at Carrow Road in the 60''s when their was less than 8000 present and believe me it wasn''t rocking then!

The big difference I notice nowadays is that many more fans are mild mannered now  than what crowds used to be. We always had the "happy clapper" brigade (as some term them!) back in the day but nowadays with health and safety sanitising everything and the virtual elimination of hooliganism most fans don''t get over excited nowadays or are when its approriate!

"This rose tinted glasses opinion that Carrow Road was rocking for every game in the 60''s/70''s is such a massive myth"

Perhaps you could point out to us all where anybody has claimed that on this thread.

"nowadays with health and safety sanitising everything"

eh ? It is insurance that dictates what happens where and when. No insurance, no game.

Perhaps you could give us all a treatise on how flapping trees cause so many storms.

After more than a few home games we get the usual moans on here about the lack of atmosphere and how good it used to be!

I''ve been around long enough and to enough games to know that the "good ole days" wern''t always rocking with great atmospheres at every Carrow Road and that some games aren''t going to produce great atmospheres!

That what I mean by some looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

I''m sure if Norwich put up a good fight then the atmosphere will be very good at the next 2 home games!

As for modern day health and safety - yes I much rather have that than getting squeezed into grounds uncomfortably but unfortunately one consequence of such luxury is that passions get nullified.

I say it as I''ve seen it City1st!

How dare you question me!