Sign in to follow this  
The Dog

John Ruddy

Firstly before all you keyboard warriors have a go at me I really don''t care if there are 100 other threads about this chap further down the board or if I have made spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

Sorry but great game that it was today Ruddy cost us 3 points, the shot that Leeds scored with should have easily been saved. It was similar to the 2nd Burnley goal in that he did not get a strong hand on it resulting it slipping through and into the net.

Before anyone tries to claim that he saved us with a world class save from Gradel in the first half shortly after their goal when he tipped it over the top, it was not a world class save it was straight at him and was going to hit the bar or go over anyway. You would have all moaned if he let it in!

Now let me move onto crosses and corners, every game numerous balls fly across inside our 6 yard box and he stands their rooted to the goal line, this I believe has led to the problems we have had at corners all season as the defenders have no faith in him coming for it. On the rare occasions that he does come the defence are so on edge they still go for the ball anyway as the don’t trust him. I watched him closely at a corner today and despite him being a huge physical presence and towering of Snodgrass, who stood in front of him at corners, his first movement when the ball comes flying across is back into the goal.

I was not a fan of David Marshall as he was similar in that he could not command his area however Ruddy takes it too a whole new level. Unfortunately until he is replaced we will continue to look dodgy at the back and concede from crosses and corners.

His insistence of not having people on both posts, which is the keepers choice, is very annoying as well.

He is simply too leaden footed and his speed of thought is also very slow. He is very slow to react and seems to panic, not the ideal characteristics of a goal keeper.

I''m not sure if Declan Rudd is the answer and I don’t think Lambert will drop Ruddy as he has spent good money on him but I think he will continue to cost us goals as he has done on several occasions this season. Today, Leicester, Doncaster, Burnley are 4 that I can think of straight away.

Firstly the shot from Gradel was going in.  I sit in the Aviva Community Stand and had a perfect view of it and there was no question it was going in and it was a very good save.  Secondly, he can not be blamed for Burnley''s second goal.

However I agree with everything else you said.

I think he is a poor keeper who at the moment is very low on confidence and this is leaking through to the defence and costing us goals and points.

I don''t think that is a fair assessment at all. Gradel''s short was certainly going in and it was a fine save. The goal was a one on one and he can''t be blamed for the fact that the defence allowed Gradel a clear run at goal.I also thought he came out and took some crosses in fine style.

I don''t think that is a fair assessment at all. Gradel''s shot was certainly going in and it was a fine save. The goal was a one on one and he can''t be blamed for the fact that the defence allowed Gradel a clear run at goal.I also thought he came out and took some crosses in fine style.

Saved us against Swansea? Remind me who gave the penalty away? He should have been sent off but luckily was not and managed to redeem his own error.

QPR - made a couple of saves but nothing more you than you would expect from a pro keeper.

Beg to differ on the second gradel shot it was straight down the middle of a goal and looked to hit the bar or go over from my view directly behind it.

I''m sorry look at the goal on the tv tonight he is slow to go down and does not get a strong enough hand on it. Championship standard keepers should save these. Spoke to a group of friendly Leeds fans afterwards and they said Ruddy looked shakey and should have saved it and questioned where we had got him from.

The bloke is not up to it I''m afraid and those making excuses for him know it deep down.

Bare in mind russel martin who, yet again was the worst player on the pitch, didnt help him by running up his own arse.Ruddy doesnt seem confident but we need to stick with him as i think its the only way it will get better.Why the feck did russel martin stand so far away from Gradel all game, ?? that man infuriates me.

Had it not been for the goal conceded, I would have said this looked like his most confident game so far. He was claiming crosses and passing the ball out and around his defence. Made a fine save from Gradel however will be disappointed with their goal, weak hands. His biggest problem is that he is not Forster and he is not from our academy.

FFS will you people shut the hell up about Ruddy! ALWAYS picking on the bad points which to be fair there have been few, He''s has made some superb saves and EARNED points for us in many games!

He could make 100 world class saves but i bet if he made 1 mistake there will be some one who will be like ''Oh though Ruddy should have done bettter today...blah blah BLAH!!!!''

Get a grip!

He is poor and really worries me, although he ddi make a world class save today! his mistakes out weight his good points, declan needs to be given a chance, if Lambert doesnt think he is good enough why is he number 2??

That''s a ridiculous statement! Who said Lambert doesn''t think Rudd is good enough? If he didn''t think he was good enough, he would have sold him or loaned him out. Doesn''t mean however that he is better than Ruddy, or should replace him in the starting side. Goalkeepers know from childhood through to retirement, they may be spending large periods of time on the bench. This doesn''t mean we should now introduce a rotation system for them to keep it fair.

Unfortunately Tiptop keepers mistakes invariably lead to opposition goals which lead to lost points.

I don''t like to point out weaknesses in our own players and it has nothing to do with the fact we had Fraser Forster last season who we can easily compare Ruddy''s performances to BUT the simple fact is Ruddy is not good enough.

The bread and butter stuff for a goalkeeper is to get their body behind the ball and keep hold of it. Unfortunately, Ruddy seems to have difficulties with this aspect and has spilled numerous balls this season, admittedly he has been fortunate with these spills.

It doesn''t matter how many world class saves he makes. If he spills the ball, drops it, hesitates at a corner the world class saves are all in vain.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Unfortunately Tiptop keepers mistakes invariably lead to opposition goals which lead to lost points.

I don''t like to point out weaknesses in our own players and it has nothing to do with the fact we had Fraser Forster last season who we can easily compare Ruddy''s performances to BUT the simple fact is Ruddy is not good enough.

The bread and butter stuff for a goalkeeper is to get their body behind the ball and keep hold of it. Unfortunately, Ruddy seems to have difficulties with this aspect and has spilled numerous balls this season, admittedly he has been fortunate with these spills.

It doesn''t matter how many world class saves he makes. If he spills the ball, drops it, hesitates at a corner the world class saves are all in vain.[/quote]

And he does this alot! if your not good enough u should be dropped! so why isnt lambert using Rudd? Ruddy is conceding more then saves....

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"] his mistakes out weight his good points[/quote]

What an idiotic thing to say!

Surely he would be dropped if that was the case!

Don''t get me wrong, Rudd will be No1 some day but i have full faith in Ruddy!

[quote user="Tiptop"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"] his mistakes out weight his good points[/quote]

What an idiotic thing to say!

Surely he would be dropped if that was the case!

Don''t get me wrong, Rudd will be No1 some day but i have full faith in Ruddy![/quote]u dont go to the games then! ruddy is a worry.....its all opinions, but his displays do al the talking!

I''m afraid it was another mistake from John, for their goal today. I also thought Russell Martin was very poor today. He has done well this season up til today, but Gradel seemed to do him everytime, and not once i don''t think he stopped the cross coming in.

Tiptop I have been to virtually every game home and away this season you clearly have been watching different games to the rest of us. He has made countless mistakes already not all lead to goals.

He fails to command his box, wont come out for a catch is to slow to dive down if the ball is going into either corner. he lacks confidence and the defence lack confidence in him. The fans squirm everytime he gets any where near the ball.

He is the weak link in the team sort that and we will start winning rather than drawing

From my perch in the Barclay Upper tier the Leeds shot looked average and to save it from Gradel not particularly difficult? It looked like another John Ruddy error that caused us to take only one point today instead of three. Get Jed in!

PS: I saw our village team''s u-14 keeper save several shots hit like that at training this morning!

I''m sorry but if anyone thinks Ruddy is anything more than a very average keeper is having a laugh.

Fair enough, he makes some good saves when the ball is in the air but when it is on the ground he struggles massively. He also seems to be nailed to his goal line when balls come into the box.

I''m sure those that go to games will agree that most of Ruddy''s ''top class saves'' are those which are in the higher echelon of the goal. Anything below that level and he seems to struggle massively to get down, can''t deal with the bounce etc etc.

I''ve raised this point a number of times before but we have a fairly good defense (in most peoples opinion) but they seem to have no confidence whatsoever in Ruddy. They look solid but any ball that goes into the box, they don''t know whether theu are coming or going.

As someone has already said, whats the point in making good saves when you''re going to let simple ones slip through your hands? It wasn''t only the goal, he nearly did the same thing in the River End 2nd half and its far from the 1st time.

For those that point to the Swansea and Reading matches as good games, who gave away the penalty against Swansea? At Reading, however many saves he made, he still spilt a simple save straight out to a Reading player and it could have easily ended up in a goal.

His balls up today changed the entire complexion of the game as it was fairly even at 0-0 but once Leeds scored, they were all over us for 20 mins or so. We were lucky to go in only 1 down at half time and luckily Lambo restored the balance and we improved massively.

The guy isn''t good enough and I would 100% give Rudd a go (who I might add, when played, has never done anything to suggest he isn''t good enough).

(Quote): The guy isn''t good enough and I would 100% give Rudd a go (who I might add, when played, has never done anything to suggest he isn''t good enough).

Agreed; and I think Jed Steer would have stopped that shot from Gradel with ease?

[quote user="Clint"]I''m sorry but if anyone thinks Ruddy is anything more than a very average keeper is having a laugh.

Fair enough, he makes some good saves when the ball is in the air but when it is on the ground he struggles massively. He also seems to be nailed to his goal line when balls come into the box.

I''m sure those that go to games will agree that most of Ruddy''s ''top class saves'' are those which are in the higher echelon of the goal. Anything below that level and he seems to struggle massively to get down, can''t deal with the bounce etc etc.

I''ve raised this point a number of times before but we have a fairly good defense (in most peoples opinion) but they seem to have no confidence whatsoever in Ruddy. They look solid but any ball that goes into the box, they don''t know whether theu are coming or going.

As someone has already said, whats the point in making good saves when you''re going to let simple ones slip through your hands? It wasn''t only the goal, he nearly did the same thing in the River End 2nd half and its far from the 1st time.

For those that point to the Swansea and Reading matches as good games, who gave away the penalty against Swansea? At Reading, however many saves he made, he still spilt a simple save straight out to a Reading player and it could have easily ended up in a goal.

His balls up today changed the entire complexion of the game as it was fairly even at 0-0 but once Leeds scored, they were all over us for 20 mins or so. We were lucky to go in only 1 down at half time and luckily Lambo restored the balance and we improved massively.

The guy isn''t good enough and I would 100% give Rudd a go (who I might add, when played, has never done anything to suggest he isn''t good enough).[/quote]

well put, this is not a case of picking on our players , ruddy''s mistake talk for themselves! how on earth can people defend countless mistakes ill never know, he flapped 3 or 4 cross''s yesterday but also made some class saves.......in my opinion rudd needs to be given a chance.

"Fair enough, he makes some good saves when the ball is in the air but when it is on the ground he struggles massively. He also seems to be nailed to his goal line when balls come into the box. "

Please tell me you are joking ''he can''t save on the ground'' remember the Swansea penalty? really well struck, low into the bottom corner, and yet he managed to get down and get a really strong fist to it.

Just get behind him and let him do his thing!

Ruddy has a lot more to offer. He had a lot of shut-outs at Motherwell, and his loan spells before that. I feel he is now comfortable with the defence in front of him, we have had a few centre back partnerships so far this season, but once Drury is back we have a solid back 4 and then it will be down to Ruddy to make those saves and keep solid hands. He takes a lot more crosses now or at least in preparation for a defensive clearance.