Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Views on Surman following Leeds

Just wondering what people thought of Surman yesterday ?I thought he looked classy on the ball especially as he gained confidence, his control of the passing and attacking nature is something which is going to pay dividends for us when hes 100%At times though I think he hasn''t blended into the squad or is too intellegent for some of our boys ?My saying this comes from him bollocking both Chris Martin and Lapps for not making a run and not spotting his run respectively. It seems that Surman likes the ball played and likes playing the ball just infront of feet as he seems to knock these through.His eye for these types of passes looks fantastic, he almost put Chris Martin through late in the first half, only a honestly excellent interception from a Leeds defender stopped this hitting Martins run perfectly !Cant wait to see more of Surman or *shudder * a team with Surman and Wes firing on all cylinders !

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Just wondering what people thought of Surman yesterday ?I thought he looked classy on the ball especially as he gained confidence, his control of the passing and attacking nature is something which is going to pay dividends for us when hes 100%At times though I think he hasn''t blended into the squad or is too intellegent for some of our boys ?My saying this comes from him bollocking both Chris Martin and Lapps for not making a run and not spotting his run respectively. It seems that Surman likes the ball played and likes playing the ball just infront of feet as he seems to knock these through.His eye for these types of passes looks fantastic, he almost put Chris Martin through late in the first half, only a honestly excellent interception from a Leeds defender stopped this hitting Martins run perfectly !Cant wait to see more of Surman or *shudder * a team with Surman and Wes firing on all cylinders ![/quote]I dread to think of the consequences of this happening.

Real quality player..I thought he slotted straight back in and did not look particularly rusty after being out....Can`t wait to see him and wes playing together again when fully fit....

Played really well on his return...until the second half, by which time he was clearly knackered.

Knocked a couple of great balls early on which would have given him a lot of confidence. At any level of football it''s always important to make sure your first pass is a good one and he certainly did that. He looked like he was really relishing it after being out for a while.

Surman does not close down effectively when we do not have the ball; watch him and invariably he''s somewhere in limbo-land. This causes extra work work for others which often goes unnoticed.

Having said that, I''m a HUGE fan - he''s majestic, with silky-smooth movement on the ball. Can spot a reverse pass better than anyone at the club - and I agree, the rest of the lads are currently playing catch-up to his superior football intelligence.

Prem-class player who could become Huckerby-esque in these parts providing he plays his cards right...

Everyones an effing critic! Honestly, "he has silky smooth skills on the ball. However, I''m a HUGE fan".... Bull! Let me guess, you''re also a coach of some sort like 75% of posters. He''s a quality player, no matter what anyone''s opinion is. I know nothing, but bleed yellow and green. He''s quality. Whether he "fits into our team" or not is for lambert to worry about. If he doesn''t, he will be sold. He''s an amazing player. I was slated to hell before the first ball was kicked for saying that if people want players like him, we should sacrifice our ST rebate. He doesn''t need a debate, he''s quality. Just the sort of player we need to push on up the leagues. He''s not played for 3 months and still wasn''t good enough for some people. How dare he!

I thought he was excellent considering he''s been out for so long, when fully fit he could well be the difference between drawing and winning games like Saturdays The guy may be a bit lightweight but that''s not part of his game, he''s a class act.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]A harsh reply I know, but cant believe some people aren''t sure. The guy is quality.[/quote]

He is a class act agreed and to be honest I don''t see anyone saying anything different above. Thats also not to say people can''t point out that he has the odd weakness. He is great on the ball, has good movement and vision and has a great touch. The slight drawbacks are that he''s a bit lightweight and not the best defensively. The upshot of this is that you have to put him with the right partners in midfield as we saw from the opening game of the season that playing with just Crofts as a tackling midfielder leaves us a little lightweight. I therefore think that if Surman and Hooly are going to play together (and the prospect of that when both are playing well is very exciting) we will need Korey fit to help out Crofts in the middle. For me, if everyone is fit a midfield quartet of Smith, Crofts, Surman and Hoolahan employed in the diamond will be our best line-up.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]........ cant believe some people aren''t sure. The guy is quality.[/quote]He does look class and must surely be a long term Premiership player.Reminds me of the time we had Scott Parker here on loan a few years back. He stood out amongst shall we say some of his left gifted teammates and the same is true with Surman.

Have to say I''d be a little worried about the solidity of our midfield with both Wes and Surman in it. Have a suspicion they might be competing for one place at the top of the diamond.

But there were moments when Surman was a joy to watch on Saturday - he''s such an intelligent player. And it''s a sad reflection on the 100mph nature of modern football that there might not be room for Wes and Surman in the same team.