Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

scottish refs, neil lennon and celtic

i have had a scroll down and can''t see another thread on this ..bearing in mind our recent trouble at reading what is peoples opinion on what is going on up there ? i know lambert had a go about micheal oliver and rightly so but do we really want a situation like up in scotland where the refs are getting so much grief and threats to their familys and employers that their going on strike ? personaly i don''t think any ref at league level is dishonest, incompetant maybe but dishonest no way.. it has really got my back up the way celtic have carried on .. neil lennon is a pr1ck ..i hope they go on strike and games get cancelled [:D]

Well, its not proper football anyway.They may as well just not bother playing the games and just toss a coin each season to see if it Rangers or Celtic''s turn to win the league.[:)]

I think the referees strike may be a good thing as hopefully it will make the powers at be at FIFA and UEFA see that the sport needs video technology brought in like in other sports. Referees are getting criticism because of decisions being shown on tv and replayed endlessly. Surely now having a referees strike will now lead to refs in other countries trying the same thing. Ultimately FA''s and FIFA won''t want this and hopefully will want to look at the TV replays debate in its entirety for many decisions rather than just goal line ones. As the game has now evolved in to an enormous money driven monster.

How easy would it have been for the ref to look at the Holt decision two weeks ago on a replay? also would Harte have reacted the way he did if he knew he was going to be judged instantly on the decision.

It would clean up the game for the better.

This may be just about Celtic''s upset over the lying controversy but I think it could have a lot wider consequences in the long term.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I think the referees strike may be a good thing as hopefully it will make the powers at be at FIFA and UEFA see that the sport needs video technology brought in like in other sports. Referees are getting criticism because of decisions being shown on tv and replayed endlessly. Surely now having a referees strike will now lead to refs in other countries trying the same thing. Ultimately FA''s and FIFA won''t want this and hopefully will want to look at the TV replays debate in its entirety for many decisions rather than just goal line ones. As the game has now evolved in to an enormous money driven monster.

How easy would it have been for the ref to look at the Holt decision two weeks ago on a replay? also would Harte have reacted the way he did if he knew he was going to be judged instantly on the decision.

It would clean up the game for the better.

This may be just about Celtic''s upset over the lying controversy but I think it could have a lot wider consequences in the long term.[/quote]I see what you''re saying here, but I''m not sure if stopping the game after every foul to see what card should be given, after every offside etc. is the right idea. It would delay the game by at least half an hour, and it would become like American Football, where a game that lasts 60 minutes takes three/four hours.The most obvious answer for me is for managers and pundits to not criticise the refs so much. Even as a Norwich fan, I was fairly embarassed to see Lambert berating the ref on the touchline (as poor as some of his decisions were). Lambert was right in what he said, but he shouldn''t have said it, and if I''m being honest, deserves a couple of games in the stands.

It really pis ses me off that (the BBC in particular) sports round up mention the SPL after the Premiership to the exclusion of the Championship. It really is league of 2 teams and who gives a toss?