Sign in to follow this  
CANARY CHARGE

Defensive issues?

Ok my point is we give away silly goals..... but when i have to think how i would change it, it get''s slightly messy. I thought russell Martin is playing ok, i like the way he gets forward, although can be shown up! ward is also worrying at times but does put in class performance''s Barnett is class....lappins doing well as a stand in. Ruddy is the worry the defence needs to start strong from the back, he constantly misjudge''s cross''s flapping at the ball, and never seems to cormand his area... he does make some good shot stopping saves, but should all goal keepers do this? unless he is dropped and rudd is given a chance i think it could cost us dearly!

Crofts, are you Ruddy''s boyfriend?

1,000''s of people at the game are blaming Ruddy for the goal, a number of people on this message board but yet you seem to be in denial?

Why does he deserve not to be dropped? Rudd has looked nothing but competent in the 10 or so games he''s played, why shouldn''t he be given a chance? I sit in the Barclay and Kasper Schmiechel showed in the 2nd half exactly why he will be a top class keeper and just how different he is from Ruddy.

It is more of a problem with our midfield''s lack of ball winners, having to play a 3rd choice left back and the defence worried that perhaps Ruddy''s next error is not a million miles away for me.Ward and Barnett are a good partnership at this level and Russell Martin has been in our top five players this season.

But we do have a defensive problem. we are conceeding to many from set pieces. I dont think Ruddy is to commanding. he seems to keep his gob shut and is not telling his defence when they have time or when he is coming for the ball.

If it is not ruddy that is the problem then what is it?

Btw we had this same problem when Lappin was not left back.

[quote user="Smudger"]It is more of a problem with our midfield''s lack of ball winners, having to play a 3rd choice left back and the defence worried that perhaps Ruddy''s next error is not a million miles away for me.[/quote]I''d have to agree. Lambert is finding it difficult to strike a balance between having a creative midfield with an attacking threat, and a strong defensive screen in front of the back four. Injuries and a loss of form from some players hasn''t exactly helped. Crofts was the only ball winner in our midfield four in the first half yesterday and it showed. Surman''s return is a positive though, and should add much needed creativity as his fitness improves. While getting Drury back to fitness and playing well again would improve our shaky defensive performances no end.

Kasper Schmeichel will be in the Premiership shortly, i totally agree on that, however I dont agree that thousands of people blame Ruddy for their goal. I think thousands of people are blaming R Martin for standing off Gradel and letting him get a shot in.

All there people saying KS is a Premiership goalkeeper have quite clearly not seen his numerous mistakes for Leeds this season, and are basing their opinions mostly on the fact his father was the best goalkeeper of his generation...

Ruddy is fine. He''s young, and gradually getting more confident. It''s no coincidence his best games have been away from Carrow Road, where there''s less pressure from his own fans.

I''d like to see him control his box more on set-pieces, but aside from that it''s hard to fault him. Even yesterday when he''s getting blamed for things, he put in a decent performance.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]All there people saying KS is a Premiership goalkeeper have quite clearly not seen his numerous mistakes for Leeds this season, and are basing their opinions mostly on the fact his father was the best goalkeeper of his generation...

Ruddy is fine. He''s young, and gradually getting more confident. It''s no coincidence his best games have been away from Carrow Road, where there''s less pressure from his own fans.

I''d like to see him control his box more on set-pieces, but aside from that it''s hard to fault him. Even yesterday when he''s getting blamed for things, he put in a decent performance.[/quote]

that is typical! most ofc ity''s goals this season have been mistakes, should we be a breading gorund for confidance????  did you go to the game yesterday?? he made several good saves, but upto 5 flaps and questionable over the goal. This is an ongoing problem, and if it hasnt escaped your aattention goal keepers make saves its there job! Ruddy doesnt cormand his area, rearly talks to his defense, slow coming of his line and flaps at cross.......if he wants confidance go out on loan to a league 1 team, not causing us points lost!

Yes thanks, I did go to the game. As I''ve said, people who are lauding KS have quite clearly not seen anything of Leeds this season. More to the point, there''s a certain irony that people are slating JR for not ''commanding his area''/''taking crosses'' when the failure to do these two things by KS helped us score yesterday...

It hasn''t escaped my attention that goalkeepers are somewhat obliged to make saves either. However, that doesn''t mean that they shouldn''t be praised when they make said saves. For instance, Ruddy did brilliantly to deny Gradel from putting Leeds 2-0 up in the 1st half, but people seem to have forgotten that...

Did you not see him against Reading, Preston, Scunthorpe, Swansea, etc where his goalkeeping gained us vital points? Again, going back to yesterday, he made a crucial save that kept us in the game at 0-1.

He''s not the greatest, but I''d definitely have him over David Marshall for instance. He didn''t ''flap'' half as much as people are saying he did yesterday either...

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Yes thanks, I did go to the game. As I''ve said, people who are lauding KS have quite clearly not seen anything of Leeds this season. More to the point, there''s a certain irony that people are slating JR for not ''commanding his area''/''taking crosses'' when the failure to do these two things by KS helped us score yesterday...

It hasn''t escaped my attention that goalkeepers are somewhat obliged to make saves either. However, that doesn''t mean that they shouldn''t be praised when they make said saves. For instance, Ruddy did brilliantly to deny Gradel from putting Leeds 2-0 up in the 1st half, but people seem to have forgotten that...

Did you not see him against Reading, Preston, Scunthorpe, Swansea, etc where his goalkeeping gained us vital points? Again, going back to yesterday, he made a crucial save that kept us in the game at 0-1.

He''s not the greatest, but I''d definitely have him over David Marshall for instance. He didn''t ''flap'' half as much as people are saying he did yesterday either...[/quote]So you are claiming that Ruddy should not have saved Gradel''s shot on Saturday?For me it is the second soft shot in a matter of weeks that has gone straight through him and resulted in a gaol for the opposition (Burnley was the other one I think).  He is definitely better at shot stopping than commanding his area when high balls are put in to the box for me.  But with the Leicester game included, he has let in 3 soft goals from shots and I was thinking that shot stopping was the strongest part of Ruddy''s game.We have excellent youth keepers on our books and I would like to see Declan Rudd given more of a chance.  Declan has never let us down when called upon, so surely if Ruddy is making lots of mistakes then this is the correct choice to go with?  If Declan makes a howler or two then we can again have the debate over who should be our number one.

to be fair every clanger Ruddy has made is the result of the defence slipping and allowing a free shot at him.

Having said that tho he has still then made some terrible errors, Leeds, Leicester and pre-season Everton to name the obvious ones.

At the end of the day Ruddy is a decent keeper but these mistakes are the difference between being a top keeper or not.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="CanaryJames"]Yes thanks, I did go to the game. As I''ve said, people who are lauding KS have quite clearly not seen anything of Leeds this season. More to the point, there''s a certain irony that people are slating JR for not ''commanding his area''/''taking crosses'' when the failure to do these two things by KS helped us score yesterday... It hasn''t escaped my attention that goalkeepers are somewhat obliged to make saves either. However, that doesn''t mean that they shouldn''t be praised when they make said saves. For instance, Ruddy did brilliantly to deny Gradel from putting Leeds 2-0 up in the 1st half, but people seem to have forgotten that... Did you not see him against Reading, Preston, Scunthorpe, Swansea, etc where his goalkeeping gained us vital points? Again, going back to yesterday, he made a crucial save that kept us in the game at 0-1. He''s not the greatest, but I''d definitely have him over David Marshall for instance. He didn''t ''flap'' half as much as people are saying he did yesterday either...[/quote]

So you are claiming that Ruddy should not have saved Gradel''s shot on Saturday?

For me it is the second soft shot in a matter of weeks that has gone straight through him and resulted in a gaol for the opposition (Burnley was the other one I think).  He is definitely better at shot stopping than commanding his area when high balls are put in to the box for me.  But with the Leicester game included, he has let in 3 soft goals from shots and I was thinking that shot stopping was the strongest part of Ruddy''s game.

We have excellent youth keepers on our books and I would like to see Declan Rudd given more of a chance.  Declan has never let us down when called upon, so surely if Ruddy is making lots of mistakes then this is the correct choice to go with?  If Declan makes a howler or two then we can again have the debate over who should be our number one.
[/quote]

Don''t agree Smudge. Declan made a howler against Stockport last season by hareing off his line when he should have stayed put and given Whitbread the chance to get a challenge in. His only League appearance this season saw him spend the first 45 minutes spannering the ball into the Jarrold with relentless regularity.

Don''t get me wrong, Ruddy has some  issues at present, but he''s won us more points than he''s lost. Lets not over eulogise a very promising young keeper whose time will come. Lambert knows what he''s doing, which is why we are on level points with the side in 6th even though we lack quality in several areas and are riddled with injuries.