Sign in to follow this  
linco88

Rudd in goal on Saturday?

Now I know I don''t post on here very often but I do read every day. I''m a season ticket holder and have been to all but the Swansea game this season and unfortunately due to money no away games although tend to do more than 10 a season. I just feel that every home game Ruddy is always good for a mistake even last night the first goal he could have done better on. It seems as if hes better away but I wouldn''t know as haven''t been. Is he getting nervous in front of the home crowd and would it be worth throwing Rudd in who had a good game against Barnsley when he was called upon and for me has never done anything wrong when asked to step up to the plate. just wondered what peoples thoughts are?

I think that our defensive unit, as a whole, has started to gell well. I think that having two changes forced upon us last night was the problem, not Ruddy. Personally I think dropping him would not be wise, I think you should always try and stick with a keeper, unless he has a howler and lets in 7 of course.

Please explain how he could have done better? The header was a good one, the marking on the other hand was not great, Holt and Barnett were challenging for the ball and the Palace player still got to it.

Ruddy did nothing wrong last night yet people were still moaning on Cabbage call last night and now on here!

I just thought he look stranded for the first one maybe his positioning could have been better. The second one was a point blank header which no keeper would have saved. Its not just me everyone around me has the same opinion. On the other side we definitely missed Drury and Ward last night and maybe with them back on Saturday we will look more solid at the back.

I agree with pete. If you look at the 2nd goal it was down to askou poor marking which is probably the rustiness from not playing. For the first goal again it was poor marking at the back post, just seemed like they never got going in the 2nd half. If it wasnt for 2-3 superb saves from ruddy it could easily of been a bigger scoreline.

I agree he makes some great saves and seems to playing well away from home given all the clean sheets where keeping so I just wondered what peoples thoughts where to the form at home. I don''t wanna be shot down its only oppinion! lol

For the first goal the ball was played to the back post so Ruddy moved accross his goal line, the header was looped back to where the corner was taken. That goal was nothing to do with Ruddy though Pete is spot on, a man on the line and it was an easy clearance.

The odd thing about the second goal was that the set up looked fine, we had Askou in front of the player and someone behind him. He should not have won the ball, he didn''t even have to jump!

I wouldn''t personally drop Ruddy. I don''t think he did anything particularly wrong and he made some very decent stops. You can''t just make the guy a scapegoat for everything. Nobody will mention the fact that for one of the Palace goals Wes gave the ball away in a dangerous situation and after that the ball was put out for a corner when it should easily have been cleared for a throw.

The main issue which needs to be addressed here is that we have serious shortcomings with regard to defending set pieces. Lambert has said in his post match press conference that it really isnt like us to concede from them. Unfortunately I think it is really. We''ve conceded soft ones to Watford, Barnsley, Leicester and now Palace. Either through poor marking or from falling asleep and not picking up a short corner. We dont actually get undone from open play that often.

The reality was that I haven''t seen a Norwich team collectively play that poorly under Lambert for a very long time. If you have a lot of players under par in any one game you will lose because there isnt a lot of difference between most sides in the league. So for me blaming the keeper is just hiding behind these excuses.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

Ruddy did nothing wrong last night yet people were still moaning on Cabbage call last night and now on here!

[/quote]

I seem to recall that in his interview on Radio Norfolk that Ruddy was being very self critical of himself for the second goal. So I beg to differ with your opinion that he did nothing wrong.

Putting that aside I do worry about his ability and personally I''d rather see Rudd get a chance.

I do get the feeling that if Rudd wasn''t ''one of ours'', there wouldn''t be such a clamour to bring him in for Ruddy.  It reminds me of Russell Martin/Spillane last season.

[quote user="barclaystand"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[/quote] I seem to recall that in his interview on Radio Norfolk that Ruddy was being very self critical of himself for the second goal. So I beg to differ with your opinion that he did nothing wrong. Putting that aside I do worry about his ability and personally I''d rather see Rudd get a chance.[/quote]

Listen to the link Pete has posted, then look at a replay of the goal. IMO there is 1 player at fault for the goal and it''s not Ruddy. I wouldn''t say Ruddy was VERY self critical, he said they were set up right, would you then expect him to start pointing fingers at others on live radio?

That said a message board is about opinions and I have to respect yours.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]A man on each post for corners - you learn that at school....
[/quote]

Thats what everyone around me was saying last night, when will we learn the basics like that?

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]A man on each post for corners - you learn that at school....
[/quote]

Exactly Pete, and how many times this season have we seen that?

Simple question, since when did Rudd become Buffon? Seriously you lot are starting to make me hate him like I hated Spillane because both are "miles better" than R Martin and Ruddy just because they are from the academy.

So let''s look at Ruddy''s performance last night. Ok the positioning for the first goal wasn''t brilliant but had no chance with second due to sloppy marking, pulled off a brilliant save straight after and flew out of his area for a brilliant tackle on their player after Jens "Best CB at the club" Berthel Askou was shook off far too easily. Face the facts if you are looking to drop anyone it has to be Korey. I love the lad but he was awful last night. I don''t even think he completed a pass in the second half and somehow thinks Wes surrounded by opposition is a better option than R Martin in acres of space out wide.

Phew rant over but stop pinningthe blame on one player for an overall poor team performance and assume an academy player is ten times as good.

I almost hope Rudd starts against Boro and has a shocker and concedes a silly amount to shut most of you idiots up.

I''ve not been completely convinced by Ruddy so far in his Norwich career, as he has made a few terrible mistakes. However the guy made a couple of great saves last night which kept us from being well out of the game. I think last night highlights just how important Elliot Ward has become, he seems to organise the defence which would explain letting the two goals in off of two corners. Drury was also sorely missed last night, as Smith hasn''t had the game time to cope with the kind of winger against him last night. So i''d leave Ruddy in goal as i think slowly he is growing into the role of 1st choice.

I''m not Ruddy''s biggest fan but he didn''t do much wrong last night and I wouldn''t drop him for Saturday.  One criticism of him though which I will say is how he deal with crosses.  And the criticism is, is that he never deals with them.  Everytime the ball is crossed in the box he looks nervous as to whether he should come out and get it or not and in some cases he will take a couple of small steps out and then change his mind and go back again.  It is easy to see that this is having a really bad effect on the defenders as well.  No one knows who is getting it so most of the time it just gets left and everyone prays to God that it goes wide.  This happened a couple of times last night (luckily they didn''t lead to a goal) and this is happening quite a few times each match and needs to be sorted soon because we could end up leaking goals from crosses.

So even though Ruddy made two brilliant saves and even though the goals he conceded were down to Askou and Barnett we should drop him?

Are you in the same group want Doherty back because ''he shew paaaaaasion Neeeeil''?

For me Ruddy has been gaining confidence more and more every game, and therefore maki more saves and kicking better. I would keep him in.

[quote user="morty"]I think that our defensive unit, as a whole, has started to gell well. I think that having two changes forced upon us last night was the problem, not Ruddy. Personally I think dropping him would not be wise, I think you should always try and stick with a keeper, unless he has a howler and lets in 7 of course.
[/quote]

Correct Morty!

Biggest problem was missing 2 outstanding players in Drury and Ward and replacing with inferior players which upset the rythym of the back 4 and Ruddy in goal. I don''t think we''d of lost with messrs Drury and Ward in the team because we''d of been much better at the back which would of been better for Ruddy.

Just goes to prove 2 things I''ve been saying all season - Anyone whos been to reserve games in the past knows that the League Norwich was in wasn''t good but its better than what we have now. I think Smith and Askou were very rusty and playing in that reserve League would of helped no end. And secondlym, that we''ll be alright and more than likely more as long as we don''t get injuries and suspensions cause although our sqaud is better than its been for a number of years itsstill not good enough for too many 1st teamers out for whatever reason.

If you listen to Lamberts post match interview he stated that we ''man mark'' at set pieces. This would explain why we don''t mark zonally and necessarily place two men on the posts.

Man marking works until you get a situation like last night when a giant simply outjumps two defenders and scores a good goal, or the second where Askou didn''t do his job. Its called  a mistake.

None of that had anything whatsoever to do with the performance of John Ruddy. Some round me last night thought he could have come for the cross for the second, but why would he do that when he had every right to expect Askou to deal with the opposition player?

I''m more than happy with him as a keeper. One of his saves last night was outstanding.

It''s interesting that some people constantly phone Neil Adams and ask why two or three players aren''t left up field for set pieces. Last night we left Jackson and Wes up field - the first goal came because we got caught two on one at a short corner. Who would normally be closing down those moves - Wes. The more players you leave up field (and bear in mind Palace only left three back), the fewer you have who are not man marking and accordingly you don''t have so many "spare" players to have on the two posts or to close down short corners.

Jesus, if we drop keepers - or any of our players come to that - after every perceived mistake, we''d get through the squad pretty bloody quickly!

Ruddy doesn''t look the most confident bloke all the time but he has got better as the season has progressed and will continue to do so with our and the clubs backing.

So ner!

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]A man on each post for corners - you learn that at school....[/quote]Yet so many dont  It isnt just Norwich that dont do it.Counter argument is  Dont let have the chance in the first place  More players marking and contesting the ball less need for people to stand by th epost just in caseThat said most GK''s are very self critical  They hate letting in any goal  They always fel they could have done better

The answer to that has to be yes please but I know Lambert will not do anything about it.I suppose we are very lucky at Norwich City in having a succession of excellent keepers Keelan Woods Gunn Green and then of course Forster. I am afraid Ruddy is looking more and more at best an average keeper at this level.Although not totally to blame for the Palace goals his positioning and reaction to the first goal a well directed but soft header was poor and as for the second it must have only cleared his head by six inches and he reacted when ball in the net. Why does he look more comfortable away from home than here Most of his real blunders have been at Carrow Road!I am sure there are some who would say just good Palace goals poor defence cover and yes they are right in that the defenders should have cleared them however both would in my opinion have been saved by any of the above and then Ruddy wants us to keep the faithTo be honest if we did not have Rudd sitting on the bench then I would not be asking for a change but every time I watch him he just gets better and I think it is time for him to step up and as even Lambert would agree no one in he team should think they have a right to place on pitch and that includes the keeper

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]A man on each post for corners - you learn that at school....[/quote]I manager under 9''s and they dont seem to have learned it [:S]

Anyone who wants a knock at John Ruddy should look at this video clip - I posted it last week in the QPR thread as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ynSbEZoj4

The clip contains footage of Kevin Keelan MBE, 571 appearances for Norwich City, member of the Hall of Fame and regarded as one of our all time greats.

Watch the second goal.

Then ask yourself if Ruddy has done anything more stupid than that, or if you are old enough to remember, the other occasions where Keelan lost his rag and got needlessly sent off etc. It didn''t stop Keelan being regarded as great. Then look back at Tuesday night and ask what Ruddy had to with being at fault for either goal.

Then get off his back.

Rant over.

Yes you found a howler by Keelan and I am sure you could find one for Banks or any keeper. The problem is I could already find you half a dozen by Ruddy  and he is no where near 571 appearances!And yes he has already done more stupid things there was the Leicester first goal and seem to remember a good one against Everton ( albeit friendly).I think the real problem is he is aware that he has performed badly at home and been criticized for it and to me as I said looks way more nervous at home than away which tends to be reflected in our resultsFor me if you have an outstanding keeper and center forward you are half way to building a good team, we are lacking them at momentI will get off his back when he commands his six yard box and starts telling our defense what he wants as I can tell you Keelan did

It''s easy to say we should have a man on each post, but if its so obvious to do that you have to ask why every team doesn''t. Even some of the best goalkeepers in the world don''t, Cech for example. VDS only uses 1 I think. You have 2 men on the posts you''re then 2 men short somewhere else. So I don''t put any blame on Ruddy there.