Sign in to follow this  
Largey

What has happened to Fortress Carrow Road?

When Neil Warnock said the other day ''I''d rather play away than at home these days because the expectations at home mean you have to play attacking football, whereas away from home you can play anyway you feel and the crowd will not get on your back'' or something to that gist, I thought he was talking utter trollop.

However, after watching us succumb to out 4th home defeat in 7 games, I am sat here wondering where our formidable home form has disappeared to? Have we scarified home results to rectify years of awful away performances, or does the pressure of playing in front of 25,000 people expecting home victories get to our players?

If we could go on a decent unbeaten run at home, even set some kind of scoring record for consecutive games like we did for our away matches, we would win a lot more points at home now than we are at the moment.

Where do you think we are going wrong at home? Or do you think I am jumping on the players backs after a poor performance and really there is nothing to worry about?

Since Delia put the chintz curtains up it''s lost it''s way........Robert Chase''s fortress is now little more than a kitchen extension.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Since Delia put the chintz curtains up it''s lost it''s way........

Robert Chase''s fortress is now little more than a kitchen extension.
[/quote]

During my ten years there, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club.

Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated.

We also qualified for Europe on three occasions, but unfortunately, because of the English ban, we only had the opportunity to play in the competition once.

That was crowned by a trip to Bayern Munich when we beat them on their own soil.

Nevermind curtains. We had the most wonderful monogramed carpet with a pile as big as yours cluck. Indeed by the time I found the right man with the right offer we had the income of a Southend and the expenditure of Real Madrid. But never, I repeat never did we truck with chintz curtains.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Since Delia put the chintz curtains up it''s lost it''s way........

Robert Chase''s fortress is now little more than a kitchen extension.
[/quote]From the Independent Friday 3rd May 1996........

"Robert Chase yesterday stepped down as chairman of Norwich City after a season-long campaign by sections of the Carrow Road crowd to oust him.

Chase, a Norfolk builder who took over from Sir Arthur South in 1986, is believed to have sold a substantial proportion of his majority shareholding to a former chairman, Geoffrey Watling. Watling, chairman in the 1950s and 60s and instrumental in saving City during a financial crisis in 1957, is now club president.

Chase took over after the club''s entire board of directors had resigned following a row over the rebuilding of Carrow Road''s main stand. But in recent seasons he has come under intense pressure from disgruntled fans who have accused him of being more interested in bricks and mortar than football.

While Carrow Road is almost unrecognisable from 10 years ago and is regarded as one of the most modern stadiums in the First Division, City''s standards on the pitch have slumped dramatically. From the position of title-chasers and Uefa Cup conquerors of Bayern Munich in 1994, Norwich have slipped out of the Premiership and are now languishing near the bottom of the First Division.

Mike Walker, the manager who led the Canaries into Europe, left for Everton amid claims that Chase was unwilling to reward him fully with an improved contract and funds to finance team building. John Deehan and Gary Megson failed to stop Norwich from slipping out of the top flight and Martin O''Neill took over in the summer. But O''Neill walked out to join Leicester in acrimonious circumstances in November, accusing Chase of lacking ambition"

Doesn''t sound like he left behind much of a fortress, castle ruins more like! [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Since Delia put the chintz curtains up it''s lost it''s way........Robert Chase''s fortress is now little more than a kitchen extension.[/quote]From the Independent Friday 3rd May 1996........

"Robert Chase yesterday stepped down as chairman of Norwich City after a season-long campaign by sections of the Carrow Road crowd to oust him.

Chase, a Norfolk builder who took over from Sir Arthur South in 1986, is believed to have sold a substantial proportion of his majority shareholding to a former chairman, Geoffrey Watling. Watling, chairman in the 1950s and 60s and instrumental in saving City during a financial crisis in 1957, is now club president.

Chase took over after the club''s entire board of directors had resigned following a row over the rebuilding of Carrow Road''s main stand. But in recent seasons he has come under intense pressure from disgruntled fans who have accused him of being more interested in bricks and mortar than football.

While Carrow Road is almost unrecognisable from 10 years ago and is regarded as one of the most modern stadiums in the First Division, City''s standards on the pitch have slumped dramatically. From the position of title-chasers and Uefa Cup conquerors of Bayern Munich in 1994, Norwich have slipped out of the Premiership and are now languishing near the bottom of the First Division.

Mike Walker, the manager who led the Canaries into Europe, left for Everton amid claims that Chase was unwilling to reward him fully with an improved contract and funds to finance team building. John Deehan and Gary Megson failed to stop Norwich from slipping out of the top flight and Martin O''Neill took over in the summer. But O''Neill walked out to join Leicester in acrimonious circumstances in November, accusing Chase of lacking ambition"

Doesn''t sound like he left behind much of a fortress, castle ruins more like! [:S]

[/quote]Do you believe everything you read?  Do you believe all the spin you are spun? Can you not think for yourself?Robert Chase''s success at the Carrow Road helm speaks for itself.... and if every marathon runner got kicked out of a race for easing up for a breather no-one would ever cross the finishing line. Given time he would have turned it round... but then why should he be arsed to bother?Typical ungrateful whinging from someone who clearly has no gratitude for those who gave us fans so much pleasure for so many years.

Because our defence has dveloped a self-destruct carelessness - eleven goals conceded in six games.

In fact the amjority of them have been gifted by elementary mistakes, as we saw on Tuesday evening.

The fact that we have conceded only 7 in a similar number of games away demands explanation.

Are the defence more focussed away, or desperate to score at home? I don''t know, but if we had eliminated half of these errors, we would have at least four points more than at present!