Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Expectations

First of all, I am not excusing the poor performance of last night.

However, I feel that people are expecting a little too much from the squad this year. We have come so so far in the last year and I dont think anyone can complain about our current position.

We are not going to play well every game nor are we going to win every game. I feel that the quality in the squad is decent however not quite good enough to finish in the playoffs. Investment and hard work could well see us become a force next year.

I would take a finish of between 9-12th this year and anything above that is a welcome bonus.

Thoughts people? OTBC!

My thoughts are that:

1. I do agree with you that we need to be realistic in our expectations and that over the course of the season so far the team has performed well. If we can remain in contention for the top six throughout the season then that will be a very good effort; HOWEVER

2. I don''t think it is unrealistic or unreasonable to expect us to be able to beat (or at least play ok against) a sh*t Palace side who had not scored a goal away from home until last night.

In summary, therefore, you are right we should not expect them to win every game but I think we should expect them to win games like last nights!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

My thoughts are that:

1. I do agree with you that we need to be realistic in our expectations and that over the course of the season so far the team has performed well. If we can remain in contention for the top six throughout the season then that will be a very good effort; HOWEVER

2. I don''t think it is unrealistic or unreasonable to expect us to be able to beat (or at least play ok against) a sh*t Palace side who had not scored a goal away from home until last night.

In summary, therefore, you are right we should not expect them to win every game but I think we should expect them to win games like last nights!

[/quote]

Agree totally with you Jim in all you''ve said,  and IMHO we should expect them to beat teams like Palace

Certainly you wouldn''t expect them to win every game, but you would expect the home record to be better that the away record, which it isn''t at present

[quote user="CT"]

First of all, I am not excusing the poor performance of last night.

However, I feel that people are expecting a little too much from the squad this year. We have come so so far in the last year and I dont think anyone can complain about our current position.

We are not going to play well every game nor are we going to win every game. I feel that the quality in the squad is decent however not quite good enough to finish in the playoffs. Investment and hard work could well see us become a force next year.

[/quote]In other news, a recent survey discovered that bears have an overwhelming tendency to defecate in areas densely populated by trees.

I agree with the OP up to a point, however that is two home games against poor opposition that we have lost, and the second half performance last night was the worst I have seen for some while. The Championship is a tight league this season, and I think we will have a better idea of how we are going to fare at the end of the year, At the beginning of the season I felt that we would finish mid table, I have seen nothing so far that changes my mind on that score, I personally believe we are two or three players short of being serious play off/promotion contenders, however I would not be unhappy with a mid table finish as that would signify progress....

If we finish top half then we have done very well indeed.  And all this talk about the squad being over achieving because it is not good enough is silly.  Compare our squad to other teams and we have quite a good squad, not full of house hold names but a good squad none the less.  Blackpool didn''t particularly have great squad did they?

Yup, its all about:

happy cat sounds

half a pair of glasses

and a tornado intercept vehicle

some folks on here don''t have much