Sign in to follow this  
Davo

Some interesting stats about Lambert's reign

Now I''ll say at the top this is not a post that''s slating Lambert''s time in charge of our club. His record as I will post below speaks for itself. But I don''t know about the rest of you but it always seems and more so this season that if a game kicks off at any other time other than 3pm on a Saturday we are in for a tough ride, the last two midweek games being no exception. So I took a look at his record and looked at some stats for league games only so here''s the maths:

Lambert''s over all record:

Won: 35 Drawn: 8 Lost: 11 Percentage of games won: 64.8% games lost: 20.4%

Games played at 3pm on a Saturday

Won: 27 Drawn: 8 Lost: 4 Percentages: Won 69.2% Lost 10.3%

Games played at any other time:

Won: 8 Drawn: 0 Lost 7. Percentages: Won 53.4% Lost 46.6%

Now that is one hell of a record. If he keeps it up then who knows what will happen.

I''m stunned that we''ve never drawn a game under Lambert if we don''t play at 3pm on a Saturday.

I''m also surprised that of the 11 games he has lost 7 are not on a Saturday (that''s 64% of games lost).

This season we have conceded 11 of our 15 goals in the 4 games game not played at 3pm.

Now this doesn''t take all thing into account. In favour of our record there was the ref at Tranmere who won that game single-handed. There was that last minute Foster kick at Leeds. On the flip side though there was been two late late come backs against Southend(Away) and Walsall.

We have had some big wins though, Brighton 4-1, Southend 3-0 and Leyton Orient (Home) 4-0.

However possibly two of our worst performances in Leyton Orient (Away 1-2) and Crystal Palace last night have been away from the 3pm kick-off.

Is there something wrong with the way the team prepares for these games? Is it a mentality thing? Does the curse of sky have an effect? Could it be fatigue after tough weekend games?

I don''t know but I found this all interesting.

Davo

But some records are beginning to end with PL tho'' - we have not now scored in every away game, and last night''s match ends the score first and we always win record, score in the first half and we always win record.  Is this the sign of harder times ahead?  Middlesbro the end of the only one game on the bounce lost?

I agree these are very interesting stats - I''d like to see the non-Saturday games by Home/Away, if possible?  I suspect it''s pretty even but we might be worse at home during midweek than we are away.

[quote user="shefcanary"]But some records are beginning to end with PL tho'' - we have not now scored in every away game, and last night''s match ends the score first and we always win record, score in the first half and we always win record.  Is this the sign of harder times ahead?  Middlesbro the end of the only one game on the bounce lost?[/quote]

My golden rule has always been ''good teams never lose two consecutive home games'' so we will see on Saturday whether or not we are a good team!

Mr Chops I want to point out that these were games when we didn''t kick off at 3pm on a Saturday. One of the games in that group was a 2-0 Home win against Millwall which was a 12:45pm boxing day win. Take that game out and the split is 7 games won and 7 games lost. A direct 50-50 split.

To split it down further you would have Home games:

Leyton Orient: 4-0 Win

Brighton: 4-1 Win

Southend: 2-1 Win

Stockport: 2-1 Win

Watford: 2-3 Loose

Leicester: 4-3 WIn

Palace: 1-2 Loose

Percentage won: 71.4%

Away:

MK Dons 1-2 Loose

Leeds: 1-2 Loose

Southend: 3-0 Win

Walsall: 2-1 WIn

Tranmere: 1-3 Loose

Leyton Orient: 2-1 Loose

Doncaster: 1-3 Loose

Percentage won: 28.6%

Now 4 of those games were on sky, all losses: MK Dons, Leeds, Tranmere and Watford.

Hope this helps.

Davo

Although the stats can no doubt be twisted to show anything they do show an interesting pattern and I agree it begs the question as to whether there is something that needs looking at in terms of the preparation when we play tuesday night games after having played on a saturday. I have no idea what lambo''s training regime is like but it could be that they are being worked too hard (leading to some fatigue when they play tuesday nights) or alternatively if he gives them the day off on Monday''s that they are slightly underprepared for some tuesday games.

What the stats do appear to show is that given a week or 3 or 4 days to prepare for a saturday game (and presumably time to drill the team and work on things ahead of the game) Lambert''s record is absolutely outstanding which again points to a manager who (when gievn enough time on the training ground) gets things right and gets his team to do what he wants them to do!

I believe another lambo stat is we have never lost 2 games on the trot under him so hopefully that shows we are a good team!

[quote user="Davo"]Mr Chops I want to point out that these were games when we didn''t kick off at 3pm on a Saturday. One of the games in that group was a 2-0 Home win against Millwall which was a 12:45pm boxing day win. Take that game out and the split is 7 games won and 7 games lost. A direct 50-50 split. To split it down further you would have Home games: Leyton Orient: 4-0 Win Brighton: 4-1 Win Southend: 2-1 Win Stockport: 2-1 Win Watford: 2-3 Loose Leicester: 4-3 WIn Palace: 1-2 Loose Percentage won: 71.4% Away: MK Dons 1-2 Loose Leeds: 1-2 Loose Southend: 3-0 Win Walsall: 2-1 WIn Tranmere: 1-3 Loose Leyton Orient: 2-1 Loose Doncaster: 1-3 Loose Percentage won: 28.6% Now 4 of those games were on sky, all losses: MK Dons, Leeds, Tranmere and Watford. Hope this helps. Davo[/quote]

Just to add to the confusion though Leeds was a Monday night if I recall and Tranmere and Watford were Friday night games so actually not really "midweek" games!

Add to those the Monday night cup game against Sunderland that we lost 1-4. That, I think, would make our record on Sky under Lambert as P5 L5 F6 A14. Most things have improved under Lambert but our record on Sky, if anything, has got worse! Reading away in November is the next one and let''s thank our lucky stars the scum game is on the BBC!

[quote user="Davo"]Mr Chops I want to point out that these were games when we didn''t kick off at 3pm on a Saturday. One of the games in that group was a 2-0 Home win against Millwall which was a 12:45pm boxing day win. Take that game out and the split is 7 games won and 7 games lost. A direct 50-50 split.

To split it down further you would have Home games:

Leyton Orient: 4-0 Win

Brighton: 4-1 Win

Southend: 2-1 Win

Stockport: 2-1 Win

Watford: 2-3 Loose

Leicester: 4-3 WIn

Palace: 1-2 Loose

Percentage won: 71.4%

Away:

MK Dons 1-2 Loose

Leeds: 1-2 Loose

Southend: 3-0 Win

Walsall: 2-1 WIn

Tranmere: 1-3 Loose

Leyton Orient: 2-1 Loose

Doncaster: 1-3 Loose

Percentage won: 28.6%

Now 4 of those games were on sky, all losses: MK Dons, Leeds, Tranmere and Watford.

Hope this helps.

Davo[/quote]Thank you for this.We''re not ones for evening games away from home, then. I''m minded to strike Tranmere off as a freak refereeing performance, but even so.

Jim Smith - I wasn''t trying to prove anything by doing this really. It I was just curious as the impression I had was that we tended to do badly at these times. Then I took the next step to do the percentages for both sets of results. Once I had done that I thought I might as well share it. I''m not really that much into stats, I just like watching and playing.

I wasn''t looking at "midweek" games only those that didn''t start at 3pm on a Saturday. I then removed the Millwall game because it was on a Saturday and Mr Chops.

Nutty, Like you I''m worried about the Reading game and it has as much if not more to do with it being on sky than anything else. Nutty I didn''t include cup games because of the disparity between leagues. I would of had to include Paulton, Gillingham this season as well as Blackburn and Sunderland.

If anything I believe this does show that Lambert just might not be perfect in everything he does.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]Jim Smith - I wasn''t trying to prove anything by doing this really. It I was just curious as the impression I had was that we tended to do badly at these times. Then I took the next step to do the percentages for both sets of results. Once I had done that I thought I might as well share it. I''m not really that much into stats, I just like watching and playing. I wasn''t looking at "midweek" games only those that didn''t start at 3pm on a Saturday. I then removed the Millwall game because it was on a Saturday and Mr Chops. Nutty, Like you I''m worried about the Reading game and it has as much if not more to do with it being on sky than anything else. Nutty I didn''t include cup games because of the disparity between leagues. I would of had to include Paulton, Gillingham this season as well as Blackburn and Sunderland. If anything I believe this does show that Lambert just might not be perfect in everything he does. Davo[/quote]

My comment was addressed in relation to my own previous comments (where I had referred to midweek games) more than anything you had said really. I agree with you, these stats show some interesting trends. They suggest that when given time on the training ground to prepare for Saturday games Lambert generally gets it very right and his record is outstanding but also they suggest that we are not quite as successful when it comes to evening games or games on sky at strange kick off times. This is something i would say it would be worth the coaching staff looking at were it ever brought to their attention. I don''t know how they vary the routine prior to such games as opposed to saturday games but it may be that some tweaks to the training routine leading up to evening kick offs could pay dividends.