Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Should anything be changed for Saturday?

Martin back for Jackson?

Drop Askou and play R. Martin  at centre half?

Or do we stay as we are, knowing that another poor performance like that is unlikely?

I hope Ward is back for Saturday, I would leave the rest of the team as it is. Looks like Drury won''t be back, which is a shame, I don''t think Smith had the best of games, he got caught out of position a few times.Two changes in the defensive unit was always going to be testing!

The whole team was poor last night, I think they should be given a chance to redeem themselves on Saturday. If Ward is ok to play, which I assume he is I would bring him back in. The guys just looked tired and disinterested, I dont think I have seen such a lack of movement off the ball since the Watford game. Pretty dissapointing in front of such an expectant home crowd, but it happens!

Ward will be back which will make a difference, Lappin to fill in for Drury and Rudd to be given a chance in goal.

While we are at it drop Holt as he only scored one, Jackson as he didn''t even score and Crofts as he didn''t put enough tackles in. I know let''s drop the whole squad and play the under 19''s who are doing MUCH better. [:@]

[quote user="cityangel"]Ward will be back which will make a difference, Lappin to fill in for Drury and Rudd to be given a chance in goal.[/quote]

In that case would you play Fox in Lappins position? Would be interesting to see how he would play with Korey alongside him in midfield. Alot thought we were too weak in midfield against watford with Fox in the team, it would be interesting to see if two ball players and two tough tackling (i.e Hoolahan and Fox / Smith and Crofts) midfielders helped break down teams who come to defend.

Mind you, Lappin hasn''t looked comfortable at left back when i''ve seen him there. I wasn''t at the game - was Ruddy really bad enough to warrant being dropped? We seem to have tightened up at the back before yesturday. 

Ward back in for Askou will make us better at the back which hopefully should be enough to beat Middlebrough!

This League is so tight that anyone can beat anyone. I think its enevitable that we''re going to lose matches that on paper look like our easier games. If we win on Saturday not too much damage will have been done.

Remember that if Jacksons had been 2 inches lower and Davids would of been elsewhere when Lappins goal bound shot hit him on the line we''d of been 3-0 up before our poor 2nd half display. No need to panic!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Ward will be back after ban, and I''d give Fox a game.

Otherwise, leave well alone, Palarse is just one of those jinxed teams for us.

[/quote]I thought that Smith struggled (ball control mostly) but that''s surely a lack of time on the pitch, Ward comes in, and i''d put Chris Martin back up front with Holt. Jackson is more of an impact player in my opinion. (nice to see you back Wiz by the way)

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I thought that Smith struggled (ball control mostly) but that''s surely a lack of time on the pitch, Ward comes in, and i''d put Chris Martin back up front with Holt. Jackson is more of an impact player in my opinion.

(nice to see you back Wiz by the way)
[/quote]

Cheers Chrisr

I would bring Ward in for Askou, and I would also be very tempted to start McNamee for Lappin. We need an injection of pace in the team and someone like McNamee provides a different angle of attack. Lappin would be brilliant to bring on in the latter stages should we be defending a winning position or in need of some quality delivered into the box. McNamee also offers you the threat of a goal.

[quote user="linco88"]Give Rudd a chance in goal Ruddy is awful![/quote]Give over.The stick Ruddy gets is unbelieveable

[quote user="the king"][quote user="linco88"]Give Rudd a chance in goal Ruddy is awful![/quote]Give over.The stick Ruddy gets is unbelieveable[/quote]Do you think he should have saved either of Palace''s goals?

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="the king"][quote user="linco88"]Give Rudd a chance in goal Ruddy is awful![/quote]
Give over.

The stick Ruddy gets is unbelieveable
[/quote]
Do you think he should have saved either of Palace''s goals?
[/quote]

Having seen them again, I think he should have saved both of them.

[quote user="DOGGER"]

Anything to change?

Fans to get behind the team a bit more, no Booing!!

[/quote]^

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="the king"][quote user="linco88"]Give Rudd a chance in goal Ruddy is awful![/quote]
Give over.

The stick Ruddy gets is unbelieveable
[/quote]
Do you think he should have saved either of Palace''s goals?
[/quote]

Having seen them again, I think he should have saved both of them.

[/quote]

If you think he should have saved both of them, you are being very hyper-critical. The first was a well placed header across goal, the second was suicidal defending at the near post.

The defence was not good on Tuesday, conceding two soft goals. Ward will return, and there is no-one to replace the fullbacks, even if we wanted to.

The midfield is my main concern. They created little for the strikers - we need pace down the left and consistency, and we need greater creativity down the right. Hooly was left to come deep to forage for the ball, but his place is upfield with dlicate touches for the strikers. I would be inclined to give Fox a game, but I wouldn''t start with Macnamee.

Hoklt seems to be "getting there", so it''s between Jackson and Martin, - two different types of finisher, for his partner. Jackson is in possession, but Martin may come in after 60 minutes, if needed.

The desire to scapegoat people on here really gets distasteful at times. Why do people insist on picking on Ruddy while conveniently failing to notice the increasingly obvious signs that Holt, while willing enough, is not up to standard as a premier striker in a promotion chasing Championship team? Yes, he was fantastic last year (well, most of it) but he hasn''t pulled up any trees this time yet I read excuse after excuse for him. Chris Martin would, of course, not be allowed anywhere near as much latitude.

We are also still too reliant on the diamond and are crying out for a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and dictate tempo in the way that Bullard did for Hull, and our lack of pace is also a concern. 

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The desire to scapegoat people on here really gets distasteful at times. Why do people insist on picking on Ruddy while conveniently failing to notice the increasingly obvious signs that Holt, while willing enough, is not up to standard as a premier striker in a promotion chasing Championship team? Yes, he was fantastic last year (well, most of it) but he hasn''t pulled up any trees this time yet I read excuse after excuse for him. Chris Martin would, of course, not be allowed anywhere near as much latitude.

We are also still too reliant on the diamond and are crying out for a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and dictate tempo in the way that Bullard did for Hull, and our lack of pace is also a concern. 

[/quote]

Nail on head Beau.................

Holt as much as I like him has failed to achieve as much so far,and Championship defenders expose his limitations. I think Chris Martin is a better player and gives us more options. Holt often means we play hoof ball to suit. 

We also need a better ball player in the position currently occupied by Korey - youthful exhuberance will only get him so far, and Wes needs help with Crofts too busy defensively, but we are very limited for a replacement. Lappin will eventually be replaced by Surman. 

Having said all that we are still not far off - it may simply click into gear again - but if I were to suggest changes I would drop Holt for Martin, drop Korey for Fox (biggest gamble due to lack of game time), Ward returns for Askou and leave it at that. Longer term Surman and Drury are shoe ins, with Steve Smith and Lappin to lose out. The rest is down to the injury queue and whether we can find another quality midfielder from somewhere.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to say fella.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Do you think Holt would be more effective playing as centre-forward though, Beau? Surely it''s because of the Diamond and Holt''s role within it, is the reason why he''s lacking goal opportunities - from what I''ve witnessed we''re not actually playing a conventional 4-4-2 Diamond with two strikers and Holt is clearly compensating for inadequacies in said system - those inadequacies being fullbacks lacking pace in order to provide width and a midfield light on strength in the form of Lappin -- even our sole creative player, Hoolahan, is also too often tracking back.How about Crofts, Beau, despite his being excellent as DM.do you think he could do a ''Bullard'' style job for us?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Why do people insist on picking on Ruddy while conveniently failing to notice the increasingly obvious signs that Holt, while willing enough, is not up to standard as a premier striker in a promotion chasing Championship team? Yes, he was fantastic last year (well, most of it) but he hasn''t pulled up any trees this time yet I read excuse after excuse for him. Chris Martin would, of course, not be allowed anywhere near as much latitude.

[/quote]

Well, I think that Martin and Holt have both had their critics this season. Likewise there have been people who have seemingly been unwilling to accept that either of them are delivering less than they should be/less than what''s required.

In my opinion neither of them have had a particularly good season but I can understand why Holt is in the team because he is more likely to form a decent partnership with Jackson. Plus there are his leadership qualities to take into account. Even if he did play like a total clown against Palace for the most part.

I''m actually starting to think that Simeon Jackson looks our best bet as a goalscorer at this level, provided we get the right kind of service to him. His movement his generally good, he''s got a good turn of pace and the lad has clearly got any eye for goal. Chris Martin can be a nice finisher but for me he''s not a natural goalscorer, whereas Jackson looks like he can work the keeper left foot or right foot, at all angles and while running at speed.

Ward in for Askou would be my only change, to many players being switched around buggers up the system.Wouldn''t start with McNamee, to me he has proved he is an impact player when he comes on late but disapears when he starts a game.Wouldn''t drop Korey for Fox, IMO the weakest we have looked in midfield was against Watford when Fox started instead of Korey.