Sign in to follow this  
blacko

View from the terrace

I have just got up from last nights excitement. Too knackered to get on here when I got home.

The main fealing from last noght was pride. We played really well, against a top 4 side going for the champions league. You would have needed to be told that if it was your first game of football, because the teams looked evenly matched on the pitch. Talking of pitch, it was easily the worst I have seen in ages. Breaking up all over, huge divots coming out all the time. The 6 yard boxes had been relaid, only half way through the season, so you get what I mean.

For large parts of the game we looked like the home side and I can not remember Greeno having a save to make in the first half. Second half he was magnificent with 3 including a free kick a la Hastlebank. One was a deflected (at the last second) which was awesome. Ay the other end 3 times we were clear through one on one, once Huckerby fell over and the other two he and Ashton shot straight at the keeper.

The new boys did well Ashton lots of flicks on to other players and Stualt looked intelligent, strong in the tackle, prepared to go for goal and very solid.

Overall our passing was much better, the commitment and work rate were fantastic and I think a draw would have been a fair result.

Bottom line -  we still lost

We still lost posession too easily, defended too deep and also didn''t have any composure on the ball. Effort only gets you so far, for me the benchmark performance this season has been away at Newcastle when we drawed 2-2. We played some great stuff that night but haven''t looked that good for a long time