Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Simeon Jackson has the Quality

Before his team mates finally learn how to play him in and his stock rises I want to state my opinion that Simeon has the ability to fire our season.

He has pace, power in his shot and that bit of charisma all the top players have. He is a better player than Beckford for example and in my opinion could rise to top Championship standard or better.

We have yet to see the best of Jackson but mark my words he is top quality. PL today changed the team to suit Simeon because he wanted earlier balls forwards and therefore put in Fox who can pass it long and had Holt playing more central and seeking to flick the ball on.

Next week could be Jackson vs Bellamy. The way we like to play, as we did today - and away from home, cries out for the likes of Jackson and he is likely to get that space next week. He also looks, at present,  like becoming our top scorer.

Yes he''s still learning but I also think he''ll knock the goals in the championship, given time.

No surprises really Rudi.  Anybody with a slight knowledge of the lower leagues knew that Simeon was a class act in the making about 18 months ago.I was over the moon when Lambert signed Jackson and said that he was worth every penny - despite what the majority on here said.Now we just need to create a song for him and learn to praise him a bit from the terraces.We also need to either give Chris Martin a run 4 or 5 games in the team alongside him (or at least be bringing him on to play alongside Jackson rather than Holt between the 60 and 70 min mark if we are top persist in starting Holty), or alternatively plan to bring in a striker to replace Holt during the January transfer window.  Unless Holt starts to perform better then his value will most probably only drop over the coming 12 months or so in my opinion.  There is a shortage on the ground of strikers who are good in the air at the right kind of price at the moment though in my opinion.

[quote user="Smudger"]No surprises really Rudi.  Anybody with a slight knowledge of the lower leagues knew that Simeon was a class act in the making about 18 months ago.I was over the moon when Lambert signed Jackson and said that he was worth every penny - despite what the majority on here said.Now we just need to create a song for him and learn to praise him a bit from the terraces.We also need to either give Chris Martin a run 4 or 5 games in the team alongside him (or at least be bringing him on to play alongside Jackson rather than Holt between the 60 and 70 min mark if we are top persist in starting Holty), or alternatively plan to bring in a striker to replace Holt during the January transfer window.  Unless Holt starts to perform better then his value will most probably only drop over the coming 12 months or so in my opinion.  There is a shortage on the ground of strikers who are good in the air at the right kind of price at the moment though in my opinion. [/quote]I''m not so enthusiastic as you Smudger. There''s no doubting he''s quick and has an eye for goal but doesn''t hold the ball up well enough for my liking. I think he will improve under City''s coaching but still someway off the finished article in this league. I don''t think Grant Holt is finished by a long chalk and a better replacement would be beyond our present finances. There will always be a shortage of good strkers, that''s why relative to other positions, they are so expensive.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]No surprises really Rudi.  Anybody with a slight knowledge of the lower leagues knew that Simeon was a class act in the making about 18 months ago.I was over the moon when Lambert signed Jackson and said that he was worth every penny - despite what the majority on here said.Now we just need to create a song for him and learn to praise him a bit from the terraces.We also need to either give Chris Martin a run 4 or 5 games in the team alongside him (or at least be bringing him on to play alongside Jackson rather than Holt between the 60 and 70 min mark if we are top persist in starting Holty), or alternatively plan to bring in a striker to replace Holt during the January transfer window.  Unless Holt starts to perform better then his value will most probably only drop over the coming 12 months or so in my opinion.  There is a shortage on the ground of strikers who are good in the air at the right kind of price at the moment though in my opinion. [/quote]I''m not so enthusiastic as you Smudger. There''s no doubting he''s quick and has an eye for goal but doesn''t hold the ball up well enough for my liking. I think he will improve under City''s coaching but still someway off the finished article in this league. I don''t think Grant Holt is finished by a long chalk and a better replacement would be beyond our present finances. There will always be a shortage of good strkers, that''s why relative to other positions, they are so expensive.[/quote]Surely it is not Simeon''s job to hold the ball up?  That is the job of his strike partner Holt, who is failing miserably at it at this moment in time?Did you ever hear Crystal Palace, or Arsenal fans complaining that Ian Wright did not hold the ball up well enough for them?I can assure you that a replacement target man for Holt of better ability would be a far cheaper alternative than somebody who can hold the ball up, as well as having bags of pace and finishing ability.  How many millions would you be talking for a striker of that kind of quality?It might be an unpopular view, but I said that Mr Gunn went for the wrong options last season, when he should have targetted Simeon Jackson and Rickie Lambert.  We went for the cheaper alternative who is now finding it difficult to make the grade at this level in my opinion.  It is just an opinion but I think that Chris Martin should get a run in the team with Simeon Jackson.  If it isn''t working then we always have Holty to bring on from the bench.  For me both Jackson and Martin have the ability to make it as Premiership Strikers given the chance.  For me Holt does not have that kind of ability and is looking out of his depth against a well marshalled defence at this level.

Grant Holt technically his level is the high end of league one/bottom championship but at this level he will still be handful for the defender harassing and annoying central defenders, just ask the current top of the table team''s manager..

Chris Martin has a great finish but doesn''t quite have enough pace / doesn''t quite possess enough height/strength to be a target man to hold up the ball

Simeon Jackson has better finishing then holt but worse than martin, but has the pace at this level

For me it''s Jackson and Holt in the Championship, none of the strikers currently at the club are/have the potential to be Premiership strikers but are doing a job at this level and more than capable of carrying it on

Simeon Jackson:

Potential - Top Champ / Lower Prem

Current - Mid Champ / Top Champ

Christ Martin:

Potential - Mid Champ / Top Champ

Current - Low Champ / Mid Champ

Grant Holt:

Potential - Mid Champ

Current - Mid Champ

I love Jackson and I think he is going to score a lot of goals for us this season.  He is quick, strong, good when he has the ball, always making runs and has a good leap on him.  I think it was Ricardo saying that he dosn''t hold the ball up well enough but I think he does.  It is not his job anyway so he can''t be expected to be really good at it.  For someone who is 5ft 8 he wins a lot of long balls that come his way and is very strong when he has the ball holding it up.

As for his best partner, well it should be Holt as the little and large partnership should work a treat, however I would really like to see Jackson and Martin together.  Holt so far has not performed at all and is winning virtually nothing that is pumped long to him, if players like Korey Smith and Wes Hoolahan are getting dropped then why shouldn''t Holt?  Chris Martin has become a lot stronger this season and I think could potentially be very good.  All we would have to do is stop pumping it long.

[quote user="Boyo"]

I love Jackson and I think he is going to score a lot of goals for us this season.  He is quick, strong, good when he has the ball, always making runs and has a good leap on him.  I think it was Ricardo saying that he dosn''t hold the ball up well enough but I think he does.  It is not his job anyway so he can''t be expected to be really good at it.  For someone who is 5ft 8 he wins a lot of long balls that come his way and is very strong when he has the ball holding it up.

As for his best partner, well it should be Holt as the little and large partnership should work a treat, however I would really like to see Jackson and Martin together.  Holt so far has not performed at all and is winning virtually nothing that is pumped long to him, if players like Korey Smith and Wes Hoolahan are getting dropped then why shouldn''t Holt?  Chris Martin has become a lot stronger this season and I think could potentially be very good.  All we would have to do is stop pumping it long.

[/quote]That is because you seem to know your footie Boyo (well at least from your recent posts anyhow)... [Y]The lack of posts on this thread, plus the lack of any adoration for Simeon within the ground is starting to make us look us all look a bit stupid as a bunch of fans in my opinion.  Let''s get a song heard around the ground at the next match for Simeon FFS.  The player who is now our joint leading League Goalscorer with Crofts this season must be wondering what he has done wrong to be so unloved by our crowd.While we are at it lets get a song together and some appreciation for Crofts too!

[quote user="The Lord"]Grant Holt technically his level is the high end of league one/bottom championship but at this level he will still be handful for the defender harassing and annoying central defenders, just ask the current top of the table team''s manager.. Chris Martin has a great finish but doesn''t quite have enough pace / doesn''t quite possess enough height/strength to be a target man to hold up the ball Simeon Jackson has better finishing then holt but worse than martin, but has the pace at this level For me it''s Jackson and Holt in the Championship, none of the strikers currently at the club are/have the potential to be Premiership strikers but are doing a job at this level and more than capable of carrying it on Simeon Jackson: Potential - Top Champ / Lower Prem Current - Mid Champ / Top Champ Christ Martin: Potential - Mid Champ / Top Champ Current - Low Champ / Mid Champ Grant Holt: Potential - Mid Champ Current - Mid Champ[/quote]

What have you based that on?^[:^)]