Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Formation for Cardiff

At the risk of upsetting a certain manager by talking about formations and systems, I think we need to stick with the diamond away from home, since that seems to be working well. It reminds me of the first Walker days when we were the best away side in the country and played a counter attacking system with a sweeper. I think it''s no coincedence that we have a member of the defence from said Walker team in the coaching staff and are playing a similar away set up. Crofts has a similar role to a sweeper at the base of the diamond, Hoolahan plays the Crook role pulling the strings from the middle, while Jackson offers the pace needed to break quickly and take advantage of balls over the top. I think Lambert will go back to the diamond and had this game in mind when he rested Hoolahan on Saturday. Could prove to be a masterstroke if Hooly puts on a show for us on Saturday!

Away from home against Cardiff I hope we go back to what we are good at which is the diamond.  Which means bringing back Hoolahan and Korey Smith.

I''d expect the diamond to be back, after all our away record looks better than our home record using it

The diamond probably suits us away from home due to the home side expected to attack us from the off. The diamond then suits the counter-attacking system with Crofts providing an anchorage and a quick outlet to the midfield and Hoolahoop able to operate in midfield or join the attack in an instant.

At home I suppose we''re the ones supposed to be doing the running and most teams will possibly come with a more defensive outlook and frustrate us

I also expect the diamond to be reinstated as it has stood us in good stead defensively, away from home. I expect a tight first half depending on how the game is going with a view to opening up in the last 30 minutes if necessary. A draw would be a good result IMO, but if Cardiff throw caution to the wind we could upset them on the break and take the points.  

Having just watched them against Leeds I''d suggest Ruddy and Rudd in goal, 4 at the back and 5 across the middle [:)]

Cardiff have got some very dangerous players but Leeds are very poor defensively. We are, by a long way, a much better defensive unit than they are.

It''s the wings that are the areas to look out for. I think Barnett and Ward will be keep on top of Bothroyd and Chopra but it''s the pace and trickery of Bellamy and Burke on the flanks that is a worry. I''d be surprised if Korey isn''t back in the team because I think we''ll need his pace and tenacity to keep tight on Bellamy and help Russell Martin out. Likewise Lappin will have to work hard (as he generally does) and help Smith out a lot.

I''m very confident Cardiff are going to find it much, much harder against us than they did against Leeds.

[quote user="GJP"]

Cardiff have got some very dangerous players but Leeds are very poor defensively. We are, by a long way, a much better defensive unit than they are.

It''s the wings that are the areas to look out for. I think Barnett and Ward will be keep on top of Bothroyd and Chopra but it''s the pace and trickery of Bellamy and Burke on the flanks that is a worry. I''d be surprised if Korey isn''t back in the team because I think we''ll need his pace and tenacity to keep tight on Bellamy and help Russell Martin out. Likewise Lappin will have to work hard (as he generally does) and help Smith out a lot.

I''m very confident Cardiff are going to find it much, much harder against us than they did against Leeds.

[/quote]

I agree they will find us tougher and there will be no pressure on us as no-one will be expecting us to win. Think Lambert/Culverhouse were at the game tonight, wonder what they made of the game and what plans they have for Sat with regards to formation.

Cardiff had plenty of pace out wide with Bellamy and Burke, and it could be a difficult game for our fullbacks, I’d also have a sneaky £1 on Bothroyd not playing due to suspension; that tackle on Becchio was awful and if the FA are looking for a smaller club to make an example out of a player, they have a chance to do so with Bothroyd.

I wasn’t that impressed with the Leeds defence this evening – they still have that clown Collins who used to play for Wolves who has looked poor whenever I’ve seen him play and City will not be (hopefully) as generous.

As regards what formation I’ll leave that to Lambert as I’d just be guessing.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Cardiff had plenty of pace out wide with Bellamy and Burke, and it could be a difficult game for our fullbacks, I’d also have a sneaky £1 on Bothroyd not playing due to suspension; that tackle on Becchio was awful and if the FA are looking for a smaller club to make an example out of a player, they have a chance to do so with Bothroyd.

I wasn’t that impressed with the Leeds defence this evening – they still have that clown Collins who used to play for Wolves who has looked poor whenever I’ve seen him play and City will not be (hopefully) as generous.

As regards what formation I’ll leave that to Lambert as I’d just be guessing.

[/quote]

Yup, Collins is a bit of a donkey. That said, I''d rather have him in the team than Alex Bruce.

I think the diamond is the likely bet. Hoolahan will have to be on top of both sides of his game though, we need him back to his best.

I say that because potentially two of the midfiled will be helping out the fullbacks as already mentioned, and this could require him to drop a bit deeper and to throw some extra weight around in there at times.

Its goint to be a tough game no matter what.

Anyone with any extra fear after tonight needed have it, Preston and Barnsley put 6 & 5 past that defense at Elland Road.

My thoughts ahead of the game are no different to what they were this time yesterday.

[quote user="chicken"]I think the diamond is the likely bet. Hoolahan will have to be on top of both sides of his game though, we need him back to his best. I say that because potentially two of the midfiled will be helping out the fullbacks as already mentioned, and this could require him to drop a bit deeper and to throw some extra weight around in there at times. Its goint to be a tough game no matter what.[/quote]I agree with you chicken...especially that it is going to be one bloody tough game!!! The diamond is our most used formation, so it would be the preferred one, I guess

I am not sure what formation would be best, but Korey has a little more bite than Fox, and we shall need that in the midfield.

With Cardiff''s free-scoring strikers, last Saturday''s tactics of keeping the oponents just outside our penalty area will not work. Bothroyd and the others and able to shoot from a distance. I suspect that Cardiff will not need to pump hopeful balls into the penalty area onto the heads of Ward and Barnett.

I fear that we are in damage limitation here, which means that Jackson must play, and be ready to feed on long balls into their half. I am not sure about Hooly, - if he''s on form, and if it takes two of their players to try to deal with him, then.....