Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Dire defending does it again

I have just had a quick look through the other posts to ensure I am not starting a new thread.

Again we have lost a goal and the points through poor defending.  Yet again Craig Fleming caught ball watching while Bent put in the header which led to the goal.  Not for the first time, surely it has to be time to call time on the veterans run, he is the weakest of our weak defensive links.

Also is it a crime to put alert defenders on the line at set pieces, if we had one on each post at Everton could have avoided conceding very possibly.  Certainly JFH free kick against Boro would have been stopped and Quedrues second if Drury fastened his boot lace quicker.  And when we do put defenders on the line they go walkabout and chase attackers out of position see Simon Charlton recently.

The facts speak for themselves, blind faith will not get us out of this hole and I fear we are doomed despite the rhetoric.  

Ok, 1, Yes, Flem was caught out for Bent''s header, but how many blocks & other tackles did he manage to make? Don''t forget also that Bent is Evertons top scorer. A lot of defenders have been caught out this season.

2, The full backs were again over exposed. Mcfadden ran us ragged and Eddy made Pistone look good.  Not helped by a dreadful pitch which both Eddy and Drury struggled to turn on. (Brennan too in 2nd half).

3, Doc was UNLUCKY last night, I thought he played well, Beattie hardly had a clear sight of goal, and was subbed.

4, We were denied a BLATANT penalty. How the ref missed it I don''t know.

5, Duncan Fergusson always causes us trouble, I groaned when he came on as sub.

6, Everton fully deserve their postion in the league, they are solid all round with an obvious team spirit. 

7, Lets not be too despondent.  We have games coming up where we should expect to pick up points, lets see after those matches.

8, OTBC. City till I die & see you at Blackburn on the 12th.

I have to disagree, last night was a solid defensive performance, and truth be told, we were unlucky not to get anything from the game. It was a group of mistakes by people rather than one person making a single mistake that led to the goal, and we looked dangerous all game, Ashton and Hucks linking together worked really well, but what cost us the game was our complete inability to take our chances!

Hucks missed a sitter, Ashton missed a sitter too and we didn''t work Martyn enough with the shots we got off. Also, we were denied a clear penalty, which hardly helped!

I hope last nights game will serve as a point to stop people on here continually moaning about Gary Holt, he covered every inch of that pitch last night, and we were hard to break down and solid (for the most part ) when defending. We look like a much better team with him in the middle skills or no skills, he even got a shot off at one point. (gasp!).

We gave a very good account of ourselves last night, and for me, it was on par with the performances I saw early in the season, against Man Utd and Newcastle.

On a plus point, Stuart looked the part, he had a few good touches and was very composed on the ball, a good starting performance considering he hasn''t played much recently.

On a negative point, West Brom and Blackburn like the kind of physical play we often struggle against.

OTBC!

Chunky!

[quote]I have just had a quick look through the other posts to ensure I am not starting a new thread. Again we have lost a goal and the points through poor defending. Yet again Craig Fleming caught ball wa...[/quote]

so the work rate and 110% effort by the boys doesnt mean anything then.what about the handball we should of got you dont say a thing aboutthat just moaning once again about poor defence  stop it now !

How the hell can u say that it was dire defending???

That was some of the best defending all season and if they carry on playing like that back there e should have a chance. Doherty was superb, as was fleming for the most part, and Drury was having a solid game before going off. Eddie did well too. The result was harsh and by no way did it justify the performance.

thats nuts, they were playing a team away that are sitting in a champs league spot and they played well, they defended heroically. The reason we left empty handed was due to bad finishing. cant blame the ref every week, refs in the prem are dreadful and other teams suffer too, look at spurs at old traff.