Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Thoughts on ex-Canaries?

Just been watching the Premier League Years on Sky Sports, and just wondered your opinions on a few of our players (just before my time so i do not know much about their time at City)! To start, how about these guys:

Andy Johnson

Keith O''Neill

John Polston

Rob Ullathorne

[quote user="Largey"]Just been watching the Premier League Years on Sky Sports, and just wondered your opinions on a few of our players (just before my time so i do not know much about their time at City)! To start, how about these guys: Andy Johnson Keith O''Neill John Polston Rob Ullathorne Thanks :)[/quote]

Went out with that really fit model from Swardeston....Sarah...someone or other!

Andy Johnson was a very good tenacious central midfielder – sold him to Forest for a couple of million I believe. Keith O''Neill was a rather tall winger with no pace, but plenty of technique and flair – unfortunately he was also an arrogant tosser who once said that the best thing to come out of Norwich was the A11 (I believe?). I think we turned down £4m from Newcastle for him, but then he got a couple of very nasty injuries, was never the same player and got shipped out to Middlesbrough for about £700k. Polston was a very consistent centre-back – a good all-rounder who didn''t excel in any one department – decent in the air, average speed, good reading of the game. Ullathorne was primarily a full-back or defensively minded wide midfielder – don''t remember him being much cop, and I think it was his backpass that bounced over Gunn''s foot in ''that'' derby match at Portaloo Road.I was only in my early/mid teens when these players were about, so feel free to correct me or disagree with the above assessments!

I think all 4 of the mentioned would do a job in today''s team.

Johnson was a bit of a bad boy though, O''neill had more potential then anything else, injuries hindered him.

Polston was prob our best central defender in the early to mid 90''s

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Largey"]Just been watching the Premier League Years on Sky Sports, and just wondered your opinions on a few of our players (just before my time so i do not know much about their time at City)! To start, how about these guys: Andy Johnson Keith O''Neill John Polston Rob Ullathorne Thanks :)[/quote]

Went out with that really fit model from Swardeston....Sarah...someone or other!

[/quote]

May i be so bold as to correct you your Lordship? Her name was Sarah Thomas and it was Robert Green not Keith O''Neill who was her boyfriend.

To add my fourpence worth O''Neil did allegedly date a model, a lady that modelled the Colemans/Bruce Oldfield Yellow kit during the glitzy launch at the start of the season. It was confirmed by Darren Eadie on Soccer AM when he and O''Neil were on. I''ve no idea what the young lady''s name was, and am slightly embarrassed that I remember it at all!

Back to the OP Polston was my favourite of the four, I recall his involvement in the Crystal Palace punch up with some fondness, I seem to recall him dragging Ray "Weasel Features" Houghton off Eadie and giving him a smack.

Johnson was good, ONeil was OK but a bit of a tart and terribly injury prone, and Ullathorne was a bit of an also ran but was unlucky with THAT backpass.