Sign in to follow this  
H4H

Changes to the message board

anyone else finding the new style message board a pain in the arse!

Its slow and takes longer to upload posts. It sometimes freezes as well!

Is this just me??

There still seems to be quite a sizeable gap between title of thread and "by <username>"  Geekboy here selected some of the text, noticed that cellpadding on that table is set to "1".  Would setting it to "0.5" make any improvements I wonder ?

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not aware of any speed/performance issues.

It is going pink very shortly though....
[/quote]

Pete, its been as slow as a tortoise and ''jerky''for some weeks.

This doesn''t occur on any other sites I use.

I''m on Windows Vista and IE 9 (beta). I actually upgraded from IE 8 simply to see if it would solve this problem I have with this messsage board.

Doesn''t look like your current downgrade is going to solve it either.[;)]

Quite frankly its  a royal PIA and sometimes I can''t even bother to post.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not aware of any speed/performance issues.It is going pink very shortly though....[/quote]

I''m on Windows Vista and IE 9 (beta). I actually upgraded from IE 8 simply to see if it would solve this problem I have with this messsage board.

OTBC

[/quote]Very strange. Never had any problems myself. Will flag it up with IS.

Other than to confirm to other forumswith Archant I can think on no positive reason for this change. It looks incredibly basic and amateurish.

Given the technology now I would have thought that the change would be a massive leap forward with extra features, better design etc rather than this monolithic east european housing style we now have.

I have tried it with both firefox and IE and I''m still having to constantly scroll to and fro.

I spoke to a few posters over the w/e and the common consensus was that this was massive mistjudgement - one comment this lunch regarding the forum was " I can''t be a***d". None have posted up since b efore the w/e.

Sadly I suspect that may well be the thoughts of many others

big, big mistake Pinkun

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not aware of any speed/performance issues.[/quote]Pete, its been as slow as a tortoise and ''jerky''for some weeks.[/quote]It''s painfully slow![quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Quite frankly its  a royal PIA and sometimes I can''t even bother to post.[/quote]Every cloud has a silver lining! [:D]

The pink looks better - but still jerky. Normally on the scroll bar to the right!

Don''t like the new format at all.It is now a pain to use what was by comparison a trouble free website .The new format is slow, sticks on the scroller and is generally a "turn off". Hope it improves. Reference to numbers of current users when logging in tends to bear this out.!

[/quote]

May I just also confirm and clarify - that your moderator "pink''un post delete button" is functioning correctly.....and efficiently.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not aware of any speed/performance issues.It is going pink very shortly though....[/quote]

May I just also confirm and clarify - that your moderator "pink''un post delete button" is functioning correctly.....and efficiently.

[/quote]Have I missed something juicy then?

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have I missed something juicy then?

[/quote]

Only just a bit of fluff - coupled with, maybe a small amount of a ''pinky sense of hoomer'' failure or probably a visual disagreement....possibly.....maybe.....?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]Have I missed something juicy then?[/quote]

Only just a bit of fluff - coupled with, maybe a small amount of a ''pinky sense of hoomer'' failure or probably a visual disagreement....possibly.....maybe.....?

[/quote]Ahhhhh...... down there bits type pink.........Doubt it was Pete somehow though. He''s been pretty tolerant lately on the hole.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]This scrolling issue - can those suffering from it explain what happens please?[/quote]Yes.... it usually starts after I''ve had a heavy meal and then I get terrible bloating. I''ve tried Gaviscon which usually clears the room.... but nothing really seems to help.Thank you.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]This scrolling issue - can those suffering from it explain what happens please?
[/quote]

Pete

Not sure exactly what scrolling issue you are wanting answered but my own observation is that there is an awful lot of wasted space now, it may well be that to read a thread it seems like you are scrolling more to get to the bottom reply than you did before.  I''m sure the number of replies per page could be increased if a lot of the space was removed.  It''s not very green even though it is now pink.  I apprecaite clutter can make things difficult to read but now there hardly seems to be any content on a typical page. 

Okay I maybe a lazy sod but seriousl;y it could lead to scrolling finger-itis and an RSI claim!!!

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]This scrolling issue - can those suffering from it explain what happens please?
[/quote]

Bit of a technophobe,but here goes.When you scroll down the main page,you click on thread,read thread and then exit.On exiting,the main page then jumps back to the top,and then a second later it will jump back to where you were.Nothing terrible,but very ''jerky''.

Does that make sense?

This is much better than the grey colour, but I still have a 2 inch gap on either side of the page, is this being fixed Pete ?

The problem is that the pages are too big for the screen so you have you slide the page backwards and forwards to read any message

likewise when you read the front page of the forum. there is far too much open space that appears to be doing nothing other than to put people off

I cannot for the life of me believe that somone thought this was a good idea - it clearly is not, and those running this will do well to get back many who appear to have simply given up and gone elsewhere

an extraordinary decision to mess up something that worked very well, was well liked and well used and then replace it with an outdated format that has all but killed off the forum

enjoy your bonus, however was the ''brains'' behind this idiocy

[quote user="cityangel"]This is much better than the grey colour, but I still have a 2 inch gap on either side of the page, is this being fixed Pete ?[/quote]

Same for me, no problem with the colour, speeds, performance etc but the 2 inch gaps each side is pretty annoying...using google chrome

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]This scrolling issue - can those suffering from it explain what happens please?[/quote]

Pete, I take it you''re designing the website yourself - if so may I suggest you use the HTML Editor to alter the page width.In most cases the offending element is a table which has been give a fixed pixel width, e.g. <table width="1360"> --  if you''re using a fixed width page design, reduce the table width to less than the page width and Bobs your niece [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]This scrolling issue - can those suffering from it explain what happens please?[/quote]

Pete, I take it you''re designing the website yourself - if so may I suggest you use the HTML Editor to alter the page width.In most cases the offending element is a table which has been give a fixed pixel width, e.g. <table width="1360"> --  if you''re using a fixed width page design, reduce the table width to less than the page width and Bobs your niece [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img][/quote]without looking, i''d think it''s just as likely that one or more Div''s using a CSS have been given a fixed width rather than an html table.I know this doesn''t look the best forum in the world Shyster but if they''re not even using CSS we may aswell give in now [:p]

The only problem I have found is when posting the ''post'' button above where you enter your text seems to do nothing - the one bellow the smilies however does work.

This could just be me as I am on a cack PC however.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]I think it''s wonderful

I have no issues with the new layout - its not such a bad thing if we lose one or two posters either....the board is so clogged up with rubbish sometimes.

If I was being picky I would say that there is wasted space either side of the main ''window'' but other than that no issues at all!

New layout runs fine on my laptop using Firefox but am using someone else''s today, also Firefox, but taking much longer to load pages. Wierd that. Have also noted the distinct lack of traffic as well. Seems like a lot of people have stopped posting since the new layout came on-board, though others have been notably absent for some time.