Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Chrissy Martin's level

Just wondered as to what others on here thought of Chris Martin at the moment.

After bursting onto the scenes, he became stuck in a rut and not really viewed as being good enough to cut it in the squad. Roeder blasted him in the press and shoved him out to a League Two side for a year.

Last season in League One, he was brilliant. I, and others, thought he''d finally come good and at his young age could now go back on to bigger and better things.

However, back in The Championship he''s stalled again, unfortunately. I''m going to put it out there but is League One, Martin''s level?

He still has time on his side but at the moment the omens do not look good. He started the season as one of the 2 first choice strikers and is now behind Jackson in the pecking order. He has looked ineffective all season though scored a great goal against Barnsley and by all accounts did well in the Forrest away game. He and Holt looked different players against Gillingham which is a worry as i suspect the top of league 1 is their true worth at the moment. Time will tell of course, it depends if he gets that many more games, when he came on against Middlesborough he looked very poor. Has his off field antics played a part? For his sake i hope so because if they havnt then the answeris he is out of his depth now

He''s unlucky to be out of the team - he didn''t do a great deal to loose his place other than not be Simeon Jackson! Lambert just wanted to give Jackson a go. You certainly can''t judge him on his performances as sub where he has looked out of sorts and frustrated. He needs to get his head straight. He''s a confident, verging on arrogant character and i can almost guarantee he feels hard done by. He''s got to leave that feeling on the bench when he gets off it.As for him being a League 1 striker - no chance, he has everything he needs to compete in the Championship and he''s every bit as good as Jackson (himself a league 1 up to now). And lets not forget what he acheived in the Championship in his debut season. I just hope he hast the mental capacity to get through this rough patch. He should have given his experiences the season before last playing in league 2.

[quote user="a1canary"]He''s unlucky to be out of the team - he didn''t do a great deal to loose his place other than not be Simeon Jackson! Lambert just wanted to give Jackson a go. You certainly can''t judge him on his performances as sub where he has looked out of sorts and frustrated.

[/quote]

He''s not unlucky to be out of the team and Lambert hasn''t "just wanted to give Jackson a go". Martin is out of the team because he just wasn''t doing the business, he wasn''t doing enough to justify keeping Jackson out of the team.

If Martin was playing really well and/or scoring goals then he''d still be in the team. He wasn''t and now he finds himself on the bench.

He hasn''t been woeful but he hasn''t been good enough.

Wasn''t doing enough to keep Jackson (shiny new signing) out = Lambert wanted to give Jackson a go. And yes, Martin wan''t setting the world alight but neither did Jackson straight away and neither was Holt. I''d go along with Holt personally who has said a few times now that he things Martin is unlucky to find himself out of the team. I''m perfectly happy to have Jackson in the team at the moment and he''s coming along fine, but i actually don''t reckon our results would have been any better if CMart was playing instead of him. Just my opinion mind. And arguably Jackson is a better sub than Martin who seems to need some time to get going in a game so isn''t having much impact off the bench atm.One thing that may be affecting him at the moment though is his off field dramas, which i agree puts a different take on things.

I find it a joke how quick people get on his back. Firstly he is 21 years old, he is going to have certain weeks of inconsistency, he is still improving and already he is a solid striker who has strength, finishing, technique, he has almost all the attributes to be a brilliant striker. He may have certain temperament issues, which I agree with, but fans getting on his back is not helping the young lad.

Secondly I remember Holt having a bad patch this season, and people were not questioning his status in this league. All these players are still bedding in to a team which has not had stability in years. So lets give them a break and support them.

I think if anyone who was expecting a play off finish this year is deluded, because we are a team just been promoted, no one in the right mind should have been expecting that, and I just hope if we drop out of the play off''s that no one starts getting on Lambo''s back and saying he is a League 1 manager.

There is clearly split opinion on Martin and being a homw grown player there is a natural desire amongst supporters to see him succeed. I would not agree that Martin is improving all the time, quite the reverse he has gone backwards and indeed towards the end of last season seemed to be tailing off. He does have a good shot and is supposed to be a good finisher.albeit a return of 1 league goal this season speaks for itself He does lack pace which is a concern at this level. I have seen many good strikers at this club in the last 20 years, much of which has been at championship level and he is miles behind being a Roberts, earnshaw, Ashley Ward, Bellemy or Sutton.

I think he is at the crossroads this season, he may get another opportunity to shine but also may be playing his trade at a lower league level in the next few seasons.

Holt is a different kettle of fish. He was fantastic for us last season and pushing 30 years of age and having played most of his football at league 1 or 2 level this was always going to be a hard season for him. I actually think he is just about holding his own but a season return of about a dozen league goals would be realistic

Chris Martin started this season with some solid performances, one of them being the Forest game away from home. It was brilliant performance in which he was unlucky not to score twice in that game. He hasn''t done too much to be dropped, and I think people are being far to critical of him considering he is a homegrown player. He may of got one goal this season, but he started slow last season as well. I think for a young guy, and a homegrown player at that. I just think we should be encouraging him to improving, rather then making threads on is he able in this league.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

We are a just a 1st Division side, that''s currently doing quite well in the Championship.....Aren''t we?

[/quote]More like just a 2nd. Division side that''s currently doing quite well in the 2nd Division........The tag ''Championship'' is a spurious title thought up by the Football League PR men who wanted to big up something that wasn''t actually very big.

Of course Chris Martin is good enough for this league, theres no doubt about it.  He had played some good stuff early on but failed to score and understandably Lambert brought Jackson in and now he is doing the business.  But now Chris Martin is going to have to work incredibly hard to get back in the team.  All he is getting is sub appearances so he isn''t going to be great in all of them and the more time he sits on the bench the less of an impact he will have on the game when he comes on.  I actually think if he had been kept in the team he would be scoring goals by now but Jackson is doing it instead and I''m not complaining.

We need to get off his back though.  He gets unfairly criticised a lot saying he is lazy etc, etc, but he really isn''t, he is a good player and people can''t seem to except that. Holt has been terrible this season but people don''t moan about him do they!?  However that is a different argument that I shall not get into. 

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]He''s unlucky to be out of the team - he didn''t do a great deal to loose his place other than not be Simeon Jackson! Lambert just wanted to give Jackson a go. You certainly can''t judge him on his performances as sub where he has looked out of sorts and frustrated. [/quote]

He''s not unlucky to be out of the team and Lambert hasn''t "just wanted to give Jackson a go". Martin is out of the team because he just wasn''t doing the business, he wasn''t doing enough to justify keeping Jackson out of the team.

If Martin was playing really well and/or scoring goals then he''d still be in the team. He wasn''t and now he finds himself on the bench.

[/quote]So Lambert paid what will eventually be over £1 million for a striker in Jackson to sit on the bench did he?I don''t think so!Chris Martin was better than Holt against Barnsley, Forest away and Preston away for starters.  He has sat warming the bench for many weeks and has had little chance to play alongside Simeon himself apart from the opening game of the season.Many fans would like to see Chris Martin spend some more time on the pitch alongside Simeon, so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches from Christmas onwards if Lambert chooses to sub Martin for Holt instead of for Jackson over the coming weeks.

Handy squad player but not good enough to be a 1st choice at this level. On Saturday he struggled when he came on cause we were sitting back by that stage of the game and he had no support when he had the ball up against Middlesbroughs strong defence.

For me Saturday was further evidence showing why Grant Holt is 1st choice and the only proper targetman we have at the club. Martins not good enough to a targetman and I fear Ollie Johnsons not good enough end of for this level.

If we avoid injuries this season we can potentially do very well but long term injuries to centrebacks and/or Grant Holt would mean having to sign replacements or use players not quite good enough for this level which would see us struggle to stay away from the drop zone.

He has been over-hyped and has believed that hype IMO. Only last week a poster on here said that he is the best finisher for years at the club, which surely is ridiculous as Jackson has taken his place for the obvious reason that he is a better goalscorer. A problem that Chris has is his lack of pace, and that is a big disadvantage if a striker wants to make it at the higher level. To achieve at the highest level a player also requires the right mental attitude and maturity to handle the problems that come his way. Problems will come but Chris has created most of his IMO. I hope he can improve but I have had doubts for ages, long before the recent allegations, and even though certain posters here have resorted to insults I stand by my opinion. As others have said he is though a good squad player at this level.  

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]He''s unlucky to be out of the team - he didn''t do a great deal to loose his place other than not be Simeon Jackson! Lambert just wanted to give Jackson a go. You certainly can''t judge him on his performances as sub where he has looked out of sorts and frustrated.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So Lambert paid what will eventually be over £1 million for a striker in Jackson to sit on the bench did he?

I don''t think so!

Chris Martin was better than Holt against Barnsley, Forest away and Preston away for starters.  He has sat warming the bench for many weeks and has had little chance to play alongside Simeon himself apart from the opening game of the season.

Many fans would like to see Chris Martin spend some more time on the pitch alongside Simeon, so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches from Christmas onwards if Lambert chooses to sub Martin for Holt instead of for Jackson over the coming weeks.
[/quote]

I would suggest, as I pretty much did in my previous post, that if Chris Martin was doing the business then he would be in the team. Paul Lambert would not leave out a player on a rich vein of form just for the sake of playing someone he''s paid a transfer fee for.

He bought Jackson to strengthen us as a squad (obviously) and it''d also indicate that he didn''t believe we had the necessary firepower upfront. Moreover, maybe he doubted whether either/both of Martin and Holt could cut the mustard at this level. Neither have made overly convincing starts to the season.

I''m amused by your last sentence... "many fans would like to see blah blah blah so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches".

What have the fans got to do with the team Paul Lambert picks? Surely you don''t think he comes on here and thinks "Smudger and a few others think Chris Martin is better than Grant Holt and should be in the team, what the hell have I been playing at? Thank God they''ve made me see sense".

Martin is one of the most gifted players at the club. Unlike Saint Grant, who can put in as many indifferent performances as he likes because he scored lots in League One and runs about, although not as much as he used to, he got the shepherd''s crook after a couple of off games, but he''ll be back. Of course, he''ll still get slated, but what''s new. I despair of some of the people on this forum, I really do.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Martin is one of the most gifted players at the club. Unlike Saint Grant, who can put in as many indifferent performances as he likes because he scored lots in League One and runs about, although not as much as he used to, he got the shepherd''s crook after a couple of off games, but he''ll be back. Of course, he''ll still get slated, but what''s new. I despair of some of the people on this forum, I really do.[/quote]

It''s all in the body language. Martin has all the tools but gives off an ''attitude'' at times. I agree he''s one of the big talents in our squad, but we are very good at looking for scapegoats, and Chris can''t help but fit the bill. He''ll be back when Holt blows a gasket.

[quote user="paul moy"]He has been over-hyped and has believed that hype IMO. Only last week a poster on here said that he is the best finisher for years at the club, which surely is ridiculous as Jackson has taken his place for the obvious reason that he is a better goalscorer. A problem that Chris has is his lack of pace, and that is a big disadvantage if a striker wants to make it at the higher level. To achieve at the highest level a player also requires the right mental attitude and maturity to handle the problems that come his way. Problems will come but Chris has created most of his IMO. I hope he can improve but I have had doubts for ages, long before the recent allegations, and even though certain posters here have resorted to insults I stand by my opinion. As others have said he is though a good squad player at this level.  [/quote]Funny you should talk about pace, as on several occasions this season I have seen Chrissy knock it past a defender and then show him a clean pair of heels. He might not be a pacy player, but he certainly isn''t as slow as some people like to repeatedly make out.Besides which, pace is massively over-emphasised in terms of a footballing attribute. It seems to be the focus in the modern English game that if a player has pace, then this makes up for lack of a footballing brain - but ask yourself why England seem to struggle at the top level, especially those pacy players who seem to disappoint on the international stage due to a poor end product. IMO a top striker can play to their own strengths, and do not necessarily need huge amounts of pace to perform at the top level. Chrissy certainly isn''t anywhere near someone like Ashton''s standard yet, but the fact he isn''t a Jackson style striker does not mean he will automatically struggle at a higher level, and I suggest the sooner this country start focusing on producing footballers rather than athletes at a youth level, the sooner we will be competing with teams like Spain at the very highest level.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]He''s unlucky to be out of the team - he didn''t do a great deal to loose his place other than not be Simeon Jackson! Lambert just wanted to give Jackson a go. You certainly can''t judge him on his performances as sub where he has looked out of sorts and frustrated. [/quote]

[/quote]So Lambert paid what will eventually be over £1 million for a striker in Jackson to sit on the bench did he?I don''t think so!Chris Martin was better than Holt against Barnsley, Forest away and Preston away for starters.  He has sat warming the bench for many weeks and has had little chance to play alongside Simeon himself apart from the opening game of the season.Many fans would like to see Chris Martin spend some more time on the pitch alongside Simeon, so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches from Christmas onwards if Lambert chooses to sub Martin for Holt instead of for Jackson over the coming weeks.[/quote]

I would suggest, as I pretty much did in my previous post, that if Chris Martin was doing the business then he would be in the team. Paul Lambert would not leave out a player on a rich vein of form just for the sake of playing someone he''s paid a transfer fee for.

He bought Jackson to strengthen us as a squad (obviously) and it''d also indicate that he didn''t believe we had the necessary firepower upfront. Moreover, maybe he doubted whether either/both of Martin and Holt could cut the mustard at this level. Neither have made overly convincing starts to the season.

I''m amused by your last sentence... "many fans would like to see blah blah blah so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches".

What have the fans got to do with the team Paul Lambert picks? Surely you don''t think he comes on here and thinks "Smudger and a few others think Chris Martin is better than Grant Holt and should be in the team, what the hell have I been playing at? Thank God they''ve made me see sense".

[/quote]So you believe that he doesn''t know what is written on here or what is said in the stands etc?He might not care while we keep grinding out results, but all managers care when they are not getting results and pressure starts to build to one degree or another.  I think Lambert plays to the crowd to a degree and it frustrates me to see him dropping the likes of Korey and Chris Martin when for me there are much more obvious choices to give a seat on the bench.RE: Holt it is still probably a minority view about some wanting to see Martin given more time upfront with Jackson at Holty''s expense.  It is however a growing view on the terraces. as it was a much smaller minority suggesting such things lets say a month ago.I forgot though, because Lambert is a god and Holty is a god, instead of being mere mortals who make mistakes and don''t perform at times in the majority of City fans eyes, the rest of us really shouldn''t criticise should we?  Remind me of what actually got us relegated again.  Was it purely down to that awful bloke Roeder and Doncaster who so many people sang the praises of and protected initially on here and in the stands?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Handy squad player but not good enough to be a 1st choice at this level. On Saturday he struggled when he came on cause we were sitting back by that stage of the game and he had no support when he had the ball up against Middlesbroughs strong defence.

For me Saturday was further evidence showing why Grant Holt is 1st choice and the only proper targetman we have at the club. Martins not good enough to a targetman and I fear Ollie Johnsons not good enough end of for this level.

If we avoid injuries this season we can potentially do very well but long term injuries to centrebacks and/or Grant Holt would mean having to sign replacements or use players not quite good enough for this level which would see us struggle to stay away from the drop zone.

[/quote]So Chris Martin is good enough to score for fun at the top of League 1, but not good enough to keep us away from the lower regions of the Championship?  Do you really think that there is so much difference between the team halfway up the Championship and the top of League 1?I despair I really do.  Most clubs in this League would love to take Chris Martin off our hands - that is why Lambert tied him to a big contract here at the back end of last season wasn''t it?

Holt''s physical presence and work-rate at QPR was immense as no doubt it will also be at Cardiff. Martin is a totally different player and the thought that some people here think he can replace Holt is laughable when Martin shows neither of those attributes.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]So Lambert paid what will eventually be over £1 million for a striker in Jackson to sit on the bench did he?I don''t think so!Chris Martin was better than Holt against Barnsley, Forest away and Preston away for starters.  He has sat warming the bench for many weeks and has had little chance to play alongside Simeon himself apart from the opening game of the season.Many fans would like to see Chris Martin spend some more time on the pitch alongside Simeon, so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches from Christmas onwards if Lambert chooses to sub Martin for Holt instead of for Jackson over the coming weeks.[/quote]

[/quote]So you believe that he doesn''t know what is written on here or what is said in the stands etc?He might not care while we keep grinding out results, but all managers care when they are not getting results and pressure starts to build to one degree or another.  I think Lambert plays to the crowd to a degree and it frustrates me to see him dropping the likes of Korey and Chris Martin when for me there are much more obvious choices to give a seat on the bench.RE: Holt it is still probably a minority view about some wanting to see Martin given more time upfront with Jackson at Holty''s expense.  It is however a growing view on the terraces. as it was a much smaller minority suggesting such things lets say a month ago.I forgot though, because Lambert is a god and Holty is a god, instead of being mere mortals who make mistakes and don''t perform at times in the majority of City fans eyes, the rest of us really shouldn''t criticise should we?  Remind me of what actually got us relegated again.  Was it purely down to that awful bloke Roeder and Doncaster who so many people sang the praises of and protected initially on here and in the stands?[/quote]1. Do you think Lambert is the sort of person who bows to message boards or murmurings in the crowd? He sends the 11 people out he thinks will win that game - nothing more or less. 2. Don''t get so precious when people criticise Chris Martin''s form when you say stuff like this. C Martin has been poor for a number of games, he''s come on as a sub 3 times and been ineffective, against Hull he was diabolically bad and against Leicester he may as well have not been on the pitch. He''s got 1 league goal this season - less than Holt and Jackson. Accept that a player has been in bad form and that he needs to work his way back into the team.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So Lambert paid what will eventually be over £1 million for a striker in Jackson to sit on the bench did he?

I don''t think so!

Chris Martin was better than Holt against Barnsley, Forest away and Preston away for starters.  He has sat warming the bench for many weeks and has had little chance to play alongside Simeon himself apart from the opening game of the season.

Many fans would like to see Chris Martin spend some more time on the pitch alongside Simeon, so don''t be surprised to see these two possibly start in a few matches from Christmas onwards if Lambert chooses to sub Martin for Holt instead of for Jackson over the coming weeks.
[/quote]

[/quote]

So you believe that he doesn''t know what is written on here or what is said in the stands etc?

He might not care while we keep grinding out results, but all managers care when they are not getting results and pressure starts to build to one degree or another.  I think Lambert plays to the crowd to a degree and it frustrates me to see him dropping the likes of Korey and Chris Martin when for me there are much more obvious choices to give a seat on the bench.

RE: Holt it is still probably a minority view about some wanting to see Martin given more time upfront with Jackson at Holty''s expense.  It is however a growing view on the terraces. as it was a much smaller minority suggesting such things lets say a month ago.

I forgot though, because Lambert is a god and Holty is a god, instead of being mere mortals who make mistakes and don''t perform at times in the majority of City fans eyes, the rest of us really shouldn''t criticise should we?  Remind me of what actually got us relegated again.  Was it purely down to that awful bloke Roeder and Doncaster who so many people sang the praises of and protected initially on here and in the stands?
[/quote]

He might be aware of what some fans think, he might not. But he really will not give a sh*t what''s being said. He will do what he thinks is best for the team.

I mean there was, quite laughably, people who thought we should be keeping and playing Michael Spillane ahead of Russell Martin. I was speaking to a bloke who sits in the Snakepit at a friendly and he was totally shocked that we had let Spillane go and I was like "Really? You really think he''s better than Russell Martin? I think you''ll find the manager has got this right". The bloke wouldn''t listen though and even commented that Brentford surely couldn''t give us the kind of fee that we should get for a talent like Spillane. He said that a lot of others in the Snakepit didn''t rate Russell Martin and were keen to see Spillane in the team. I really hope there''s not that many like-minded people in there.

And it''s all a bit like Chris Martin and Korey Smith, yes they''re both much better players than Mickey Spillane but there''s a few people who are starting to overrate them. They are good young players, they are not great young players. Neither has dazzled this season, neither has been awful. Taking a turn on the bench really does not seem that unjustified. Did we miss Korey on Saturday? No. McNamee provided a much bigger threat down the right hand wing than Korey has done lately and we were never really troubled defensively.

Oh, also, we got relegated because we didn''t win enough points to stay in the league. Just thought I''d clear that one up for you.

[quote user="Smudger"]
So Chris Martin is good enough to score for fun at the top of League 1, but not good enough to keep us away from the lower regions of the Championship?  Do you really think that there is so much difference between the team halfway up the Championship and the top of League 1?

[/quote]

So, presumably, by that logic, you would be happy to see Gary Doherty and Michael Nelson at the heart of defence? Correct?

They were plenty good enough to get us out of L1, infact Doherty was top 3 in POTS and in the League 1 Team of the Season but Chris Martin wasn''t.

Funnily enough, I went to the Brentford v Peterborough game on Saturday with one mate who is a Posh fan and another who''s a Cambridge Utd fan. I was particularly interested to see how Spillane and Joe Lewis would perform. Spillane in fact had a reasonable game while Lewis looked decidedly dodgy overall although he did make one good save in what was a pretty dire 2-1 game. I still  think that Spillane would have made a decent squad player.

[quote user="paul moy"]Funnily enough, I went to the Brentford v Peterborough game on Saturday with one mate who is a Posh fan and another who''s a Cambridge Utd fan. I was particularly interested to see how Spillane and Joe Lewis would perform. Spillane in fact had a reasonable game while Lewis looked decidedly dodgy overall although he did make one good save in what was a pretty dire 2-1 game. I still  think that Spillane would have made a decent squad player.[/quote]

He''s a decent ish League 1 player and really a young lad like him shouldn''t really want to bench warm (which is what he would be doing for us) so it was the best thing for both parties.

For me, if I thought we were going to Cardiff with Russell Martin injured and Spillane stepping into the fold I would be very worried.

I think what people have to realise is that the team as a whole is still growing and adapting to a) the new players and b) this league.

The only real issue I have at the moment is our home form.

Martin is still reletively young, he still has time on his hands. His form has dropped off a little but has anyone noticed that this appears to happen when there are things going on off the field with him?

He is the most natural goalscorer we have, and possibly one of the most technically gifted as well - that doesn''t mean he will automatically be top scorer as there are a whole host of other factors involved.

In many ways he is similar to McVeigh in that he has the ability its whether the team he is in and his form allow him to make the best out of it.

He is one of those players who can make something out of nothing and has good vision. One of the reasons why he sometimes comes on to play just in behind the front two in place of Hoolahan.

One thing he does give you is that hammer of a free kick when in good shooting positions.

Again, I trust in Lambert and also would go along with that he wasn''t doing enough in games before Jackson was given a go. But in all fairness after Jackson started scoring you have to give him the oppertunity to prove he can keep doing it which he has so Martin may just have to bide his time.