Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

Simon Lappin

100th appearence on Saturday, who would have thought it in the GR days!!

Heres to him bagging a goal on Saturday[B]

[quote user="fearofambition"]100 appearances for one of the most average players we''ve ever had, whoop de doo! Commited, nice guy etc etc, the bottom line is on the pitch 99% of the time he is a non entity. As for him bagging a goal, i assume that was a joke.[/quote]

Let me guess, you have just found your best mate in bed with your missus!?

[quote user="fearofambition"]Nope, nothing to do with my mood today. Just find it hard to celebrate the fact a very average footballer, who contributes next to nothing on the pitch week in week out has racked up 100 appearances for norwich city.[/quote]

Is this, it can''t be... Glen Roeder?

Well i think he''s been solid since Surman went out injured.

He''s never going to be world class but he does a good job week in week out!!

The bottom line is that he has been an almost constant prescene in our rise from near the bottom of league 1 to where we are now. He is a solid performer who doesnt let us down. He would be the first admit he isn''t Gareth Bale but he is a very handy player to have in the squad who can do a decent job in a number of positions. People complain more and more after the Rooney saga that there is no loyalty and hunger left in professional football but this guy has it in bucketloads. Well done King of Spain on the century, thoroughly deserved.

[quote user="fearofambition"]100 appearances for one of the most average players we''ve ever had, whoop de doo! Commited, nice guy etc etc, the bottom line is on the pitch 99% of the time he is a non entity. As for him bagging a goal, i assume that was a joke.[/quote]

We all have our own opinions, and in this case I simply do not agree that Lappin contributes nothing and is merely average.

He is competent, passionate and I use him as a fine example to my son when demonstrating the life skills of focus and commitment.

Many would have buckled or walked away with the Roeder fiasco - this chap never did. He has more self-belief than most and I love watching him play too.

A goal at the weekend for Lappin would be just fantastic!

[quote user="fearofambition"]Nope, nothing to do with my mood today. Just find it hard to celebrate the fact a very average footballer, who contributes next to nothing on the pitch week in week out has racked up 100 appearances for norwich city.[/quote]Did you watch the game saturday??? he run his socks off and was superb cover for Smith...im not his biggest fan but he has done a VERY VERY good job when aqsked

In the very last minute on Saturday, Lappin charged across the pitch to win a throw-in from a lost cause, when we were under pressure. It all but sealed the win, and sums him up.

Not the greatest player in the world, but for £75,000 he''s been a very handy player.

This is a complete load of rubbish.. he works his socks off every game, he makes the tackles, he covers, he get forward, puts people in, puts ball through.. only thing he hasnt done recently is score! He keeps shooting and they''re not bad shots most of them to be fair ! But they keep gettin blocked..

he is not average and is NEVER a non-entity!!

He''s shown a massive amount of commitment over the last couple of years and deserves this 100th game and REALLY deserves his goal.. i just hope it isnt too far away!

Has been very loyal and committed, and has recently added a little more bite into his tackling (-hence one or two bookings!), but he is hampered a little by slight stature and lack of pace. He is possibly the best defensive wide left midfielder we have, and works well with Drury.

In his time at Norwich he has shown very good dead ball kicking, but has become a little less consistent in this recently, I think.

If he could recover the early ability at corners and free kicks, his limitations could be overlooked. Some of his crosses, corners and free-kicks at the moment are not good, and he was way behind Surman in this.

[quote user="fearofambition"]100 appearances for one of the most average players we''ve ever had, whoop de doo! Commited, nice guy etc etc, the bottom line is on the pitch 99% of the time he is a non entity. As for him bagging a goal, i assume that was a joke.[/quote]If anything he is probably the 1 player in the side who "turns up" every week, even if he''s not having the best of games you can be sure he''ll run himself into the ground and provide vital balance down the left hand side.

Blackpool were (and still are) full of limited players who always put a shift in.  It amazes me that Lappin, R.Martin and Holt are three of the most criticised players on these boards, yet are three of the most likely to run through a brick wall in the City cause.  Having a core of players like that breeds a certain positive culture within a club- a culture which was completely absent during our long decline to the 3rd division.

If you`ve got a core of gritty 100% pro`s and a few game-changing flair players, along with a good manager you`ve got a good chance of success.  We`ve got all those things- enjoy it.

We can''t have a team of superstars, we need a couple of hard workers in there and Lappin has got better as his Norwich career has gone on.

His limitations are...well...limited, he has excellent distribution and delivery, very rarely mis-places a pass and always gives 100%.

The time he spent out of the time during the Roeder era has probably made him a stronger player overall and he doesn''t want to go back to that ''place''.

You can see why people don''t think he is a very good footballer, I would say those people don''t understand the game of football at all and want to see a version of our game where every player is a Huckerby or a Hoolahan (i.e. flair players) I''m afraid it doesn''t work like that. You need those hard workers in the team. Look at Spain for instance, plenty of ability and skill but they also have dogged players like Puyol, Pique and Busquets.

All in all, well done Simon and here''s to the next 100 games.