Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

We may need to innovate & find some cash, quick.

sorry if this sounds stupid to people who know more about these new laws than I, but isn''t it quite simple to get around (with the wealthy benefactor anyways), for instance, by sponsoring the team shirts for eg £20m one year, or advertising hoardings etc. thereby increasing revenue that can then be used legally for the club. if so all we need is a new wealthy owner, simples.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Sadly, you''re spot on Sir Cluck, Delia''s a nice enough old gal, well meaning and all that but imo, she''s held our club back for years. A lot of her devoted pals will hear no evil about her, thats why she survives.

My nightmare scenario is, God forbid, Lambert ups and leaves through lack of ambitition and she''s just potty enough to reinstate Bryan Gunn!

Still, thats just a silly nightmare..........isn''t it?[:S]

[/quote]

Actually, Gunny and his wife were both in the Director''s box yesterday.....

They were sat next to Delia''s mum on the front row.....

Nice to see them back at Carra.

[/quote]

Jeez, what kind of message does that send to McNally and Lambert?

You really couldn''t make this kind of thing up could you?[:S]

[/quote]Why shouldn''t Gunny be in the Directors Box? OK so he didn''t cut it as Manager but he was and always be a Norwich City Legend.[/quote]Compared to several other City keepers who came before him he was only average.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

If ever a serious investor/investors were interested - but also wanted total ownership as a part of their investment.....I just think that would be a major stumbling block with our two majority-shareholders.

I think that the appointment of Stephen Fry onto the NCFC board,  is ''quite nice''.

Although, in my opinion - and even with Stephen''s talent, networking and twittering, new board member Stephen Fry is very unlikely to court or bring in a rich investor (or investors) with considerable and serious finance - who would be quite prepared and content with just having a seat on the board, with an occasional vote, limited decision making and input - and a lovely lunch before the game...

I really don''t think that Delia and Micky Wynn, would wish to relinquish their tight reins of ownership - or are prepared to move aside - or step down....any time soon.....

Financially - and for the moment....It does unfortunately look like we are going with what we''ve got....

[/quote]

Cmon give it a rest

If we were such a good buy and we have upped the anti by being

promoted and mixing at the right end of the league somebody would be

seriously sniffing.  They aint so lets at least be realistic and stop

just saying they wont sell.  They wont sell at a stupid price and I dont

blame them.  You wouldnt give up an asset just cos somebody doesnt like

you owning it

Its a hellva risk owning a football club 

So, after 33 posts we''re not much nearer being innovative and finding some cash quick.

If we don''t and, we don''t get promoted, then I reckon that it''s almost a dead cert that Lambert will have done a runner by June swiftly followed by McNally because they will want to ''cash in'' on their success to that date rather than risk a dive in their market value due to their not being provided with the tools to push City on.

And not a soul could blame them.

The problem is that everybody of worth will have seen that the cupboard is bare, there is little appetite for ambition, and that any significant investment/takeover of NCFC will likely involve hostility (at the minimum a deep reluctance) and taking on one of England''s favourite icons - and a female one to boot.

Hmmm.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

So, after 33 posts we''re not much nearer being innovative and finding some cash quick.

[/quote]

If moaning and bitching like spurned teenage girls could raise funds for our Club then mello and cluck would be given the keys to the City. As it is you are not going to find the answer on this forum. The question gets asked over and over again and the answer is always the same...

If we don''t and, we don''t get promoted, then I reckon that it''s almost a dead cert that Lambert will have done a runner by June swiftly followed by McNally because they will want to ''cash in'' on their success to that date rather than risk a dive in their market value due to their not being provided with the tools to push City on.

And not a soul could blame them.

The problem is that everybody of worth will have seen that the cupboard is bare, there is little appetite for ambition, and that any significant investment/takeover of NCFC will likely involve hostility (at the minimum a deep reluctance) and taking on one of England''s favourite icons - and a female one to boot.

Hmmm.

OTBC

[/quote]

If your nightmare scenario does, God forbid, come true Bly, then administration would swiftly follow imho, only then would the cook realise that she''s a spent force and those dire circumstances would remove her at long last.

Hmm, bring it on I say.[;)]

That was a joke btw!

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

If moaning and bitching like spurned teenage girls could raise funds for our Club then mello and cluck would be given the keys to the City. As it is you are not going to find the answer on this forum. The question gets asked over and over again and the answer is always the same...

[/quote]Oh dear.The sheep still graze on Delia''s pleasant land.

[quote user="KenBrown"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

If ever a serious investor/investors were interested - but also wanted total ownership as a part of their investment.....I just think that would be a major stumbling block with our two majority-shareholders.

I think that the appointment of Stephen Fry onto the NCFC board,  is ''quite nice''.

Although, in my opinion - and even with Stephen''s talent, networking and twittering, new board member Stephen Fry is very unlikely to court or bring in a rich investor (or investors) with considerable and serious finance - who would be quite prepared and content with just having a seat on the board, with an occasional vote, limited decision making and input - and a lovely lunch before the game...

I really don''t think that Delia and Micky Wynn, would wish to relinquish their tight reins of ownership - or are prepared to move aside - or step down....any time soon.....

Financially - and for the moment....It does unfortunately look like we are going with what we''ve got....

[/quote]

Cmon give it a rest

If we were such a good buy and we have upped the anti by being promoted and mixing at the right end of the league somebody would be seriously sniffing.  They aint so lets at least be realistic and stop just saying they wont sell.  They wont sell at a stupid price and I dont blame them.  You wouldnt give up an asset just cos somebody doesnt like you owning it

[/quote]

Yes, you are quite obviously correct in stating the obvious that ''they'' (being the majority shareholders) wouldn''t be prepared to sell at a stupid price. I certainly wouldn''t expect them to.....Fortunate then, that we didn''t go into administration last season - as the majority shareholders (and NCFC) would have then stood to lose more than just their investment and return of loans....it''s certainly a helluva risk owning a football club.   

I was just slightly curious and really do wonder what the lack of progress or stumbling block is/was, with these/those, ''interested parties''....? Any theories?

How truly and actually really determined are our club hierarchy, actively seeking further investment to our club?

The only one''s I can recall, are the recent appointment of Stephen Fry to the board - and then that ''sneeze and you''ll miss him'' brief and fleeting visit last season, of Mr Fernandes of Lotus F1 and AirAsia fame. Our current CE seemed to be doing his damned hardest to promote our club to Mr Fernandes by also inviting the local press and TV media to be present.....Although I do then remember seeing Mr Fernandes sat at the back of the Directors Box for the game he was invited to watch, and strange and unusual, not sitting alongside the majority shareholders....Oh well....never mind.        

We most certainly do require further investment - whether it brings in new ownership or not....We don''t want to lose key personnel due to financial frustration....do we? 

Anyway.....maybe our Stephen, can hopefully pull a lucky rabbit out of the hat for us.....

''Here''s hopping''......

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="KenBrown"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Cmon give it a rest

If we were such a good buy and we have upped the anti by being promoted and mixing at the right end of the league somebody would be seriously sniffing.  They aint so lets at least be realistic and stop just saying they wont sell.  They wont sell at a stupid price and I dont blame them.  You wouldnt give up an asset just cos somebody doesnt like you owning it

[/quote]

Yes, you are quite obviously correct in stating the obvious that ''they'' (being the majority shareholders) wouldn''t be prepared to sell at a stupid price. I certainly wouldn''t expect them to.....Fortunate then, that we didn''t go into administration last season - as the majority shareholders (and NCFC) would have then stood to lose more than just their investment and return of loans....it''s certainly a helluva risk owning a football club.   

I was just slightly curious and really do wonder what the lack of progress or stumbling block is/was, with these/those, ''interested parties''....? Any theories?

How truly and actually really determined are our club hierarchy, actively seeking further investment to our club?

The only one''s I can recall, are the recent appointment of Stephen Fry to the board - and then that ''sneeze and you''ll miss him'' brief and fleeting visit last season, of Mr Fernandes of Lotus F1 and AirAsia fame. Our current CE seemed to be doing his damned hardest to promote our club to Mr Fernandes by also inviting the local press and TV media to be present.....Although I do then remember seeing Mr Fernandes sat at the back of the Directors Box for the game he was invited to watch, and strange and unusual, not sitting alongside the majority shareholders....Oh well....never mind.        

We most certainly do require further investment - whether it brings in new ownership or not....We don''t want to lose key personnel due to financial frustration....do we? 

Anyway.....maybe our Stephen, can hopefully pull a lucky rabbit out of the hat for us.....

''Here''s hopping''......

[/quote]Its right to hope that somebody will come along and invest but the continual harping on at the current landlords is wasting breath ( or time if you are typing)Blackpool are a good example that you can move forward as are WBA neither of them are owned by mega rich.truth is many football clubs could be bought right now by an opportunistic but few change hands because everybody fears the pompey/leeds scenario''s if on a smaller scaleIts is true that millionaires are not worth having anymore.  To make a difference they have to billionaires.It reminds me of an old Richard Branson saying when invited to speak to an assembled bunch of business man.  He said i was asked to speak on How to become a millionaire.  My first though was why should I tell them but second thought was First you becaome a billionaire and then you buy an airline !  Substitute Football club for airline and the story is the same.  Thats the real problem.  Nobody is making real money out of woning a football club

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well look, you''re now moaning and bitching about me.....Who were you with a large amount of posts before you changed your avatar and identity....and why do you deem it so necessary to do so?.....

Do teenage girls get you all excited?

I''m not bitchin'' at all, just giving an opinion, hopefully stimulating debate and raising questions regarding (and in reply), to the title of the thread.

And I will long continue to do so.....Now, jog on.

How serious are the owners about selling? A long-standing question. On one side you get the blanket assertion (not backed up by anything resembling a fact) that they have no intention of letting go.

The facts, such as they are, are all on the other side. The club has been up for sale for two years. Not one but two companies have been hired to find buyers. Smith and Jones have said on more than one occasion that they are willing to sell. Bowkett, as I quoted earlier, says they are willing to sell. Indeed he says they understand they will pretty much have to if we want to cement a place in the Premier League. Either they have told Bowkett the truth or this supposedly razor-sharp genius businessman has been hoodwinked by a couple of hayseeds from Hicksville. Which would be worrying.

Do S&J want their money back? Again, such evidence as there is (their public statements) suggests not. They have said flat out they regard that money as gone. But anyone advocating them selling up cheaply should bear in mind that such a deal would screw the minority shareholders - people whose interests S&J are duty-bound to protect.

Why no progress? We don''t know there hasn''t been any. These things are best handled in private, in secret. And they take time. As happened with Liverpool, where Broughton was getting it in the neck from fans for the apparent lack of progress. Suddenly he pulled a New England rabbit out of a hat. Bowkett said in May we were in discussions with several short-listed parties, and no announcement was likely soon. For what it is worth, as it happens, I believe the club had higher hopes of Fernandes than it admitted to, but he is obviously only one for the future. if at all.

It is not easy to sell a middle-ranking, non-Premier League provincial football club that hasn''t had its debt wiped out by going into administration. More attractive propositions - such as WBA, Glasgow Rangers, Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday - have all been on the market for as long as Norwich. A longer list than that of clubs sold. There is no evidence that S&J have turned down any reasonable offers. If they had the aggrieved suitors could simply have gone public, as Cullum did, to try to force the issue.

And there is no doubt that our banks (who want a sale to get their money back) would be in a strong position to force a deal on us (if S&J were being recalcitrant) by threatening to call in their debts.

Excellent post PC.  Begs the question, what do the owners deem a fair price for the club ?  And if price isn''t the sticking point, what is ?Cullums valuation was assets - liabilities = zero ?I suspect that S & Js'' concern is not how much to sell for, but what happens next.  They will after all, understand through experience that this club needs several million per season pumped into it by a rich altruistic "idiot" like themselves for it to stand still, let alone progress.If there are more strings to the sale of the club than that one, then they will never be able to find a buyer. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]How serious are the owners about selling? A long-standing question. On one side you get the blanket assertion (not backed up by anything resembling a fact) that they have no intention of letting go. The facts, such as they are, are all on the other side. The club has been up for sale for two years. Not one but two companies have been hired to find buyers. Smith and Jones have said on more than one occasion that they are willing to sell. Bowkett, as I quoted earlier, says they are willing to sell. Indeed he says they understand they will pretty much have to if we want to cement a place in the Premier League. Either they have told Bowkett the truth or this supposedly razor-sharp genius businessman has been hoodwinked by a couple of hayseeds from Hicksville. Which would be worrying. Do S&J want their money back? Again, such evidence as there is (their public statements) suggests not. They have said flat out they regard that money as gone. But anyone advocating them selling up cheaply should bear in mind that such a deal would screw the minority shareholders - people whose interests S&J are duty-bound to protect. Why no progress? We don''t know there hasn''t been any. These things are best handled in private, in secret. And they take time. As happened with Liverpool, where Broughton was getting it in the neck from fans for the apparent lack of progress. Suddenly he pulled a New England rabbit out of a hat. Bowkett said in May we were in discussions with several short-listed parties, and no announcement was likely soon. For what it is worth, as it happens, I believe the club had higher hopes of Fernandes than it admitted to, but he is obviously only one for the future. if at all. It is not easy to sell a middle-ranking, non-Premier League provincial football club that hasn''t had its debt wiped out by going into administration. More attractive propositions - such as WBA, Glasgow Rangers, Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday - have all been on the market for as long as Norwich. A longer list than that of clubs sold. There is no evidence that S&J have turned down any reasonable offers. If they had the aggrieved suitors could simply have gone public, as Cullum did, to try to force the issue. And there is no doubt that our banks (who want a sale to get their money back) would be in a strong position to force a deal on us (if S&J were being recalcitrant) by threatening to call in their debts.[/quote]

I think you might develop a more balanced view of the situation by not only relying on ''public statements'' and ''statements in public'' but by also taking into account (a) circumstantial evidence, (b) history, and (c) many people''s instincts.

What do you think? I mean I think most of us would agree that there is usually more than one side to each story.

OTBC

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]How serious are the owners about selling? A long-standing question. On one side you get the blanket assertion (not backed up by anything resembling a fact) that they have no intention of letting go. The facts, such as they are, are all on the other side. The club has been up for sale for two years. Not one but two companies have been hired to find buyers. Smith and Jones have said on more than one occasion that they are willing to sell. Bowkett, as I quoted earlier, says they are willing to sell. Indeed he says they understand they will pretty much have to if we want to cement a place in the Premier League. Either they have told Bowkett the truth or this supposedly razor-sharp genius businessman has been hoodwinked by a couple of hayseeds from Hicksville. Which would be worrying. Do S&J want their money back? Again, such evidence as there is (their public statements) suggests not. They have said flat out they regard that money as gone. But anyone advocating them selling up cheaply should bear in mind that such a deal would screw the minority shareholders - people whose interests S&J are duty-bound to protect. Why no progress? We don''t know there hasn''t been any. These things are best handled in private, in secret. And they take time. As happened with Liverpool, where Broughton was getting it in the neck from fans for the apparent lack of progress. Suddenly he pulled a New England rabbit out of a hat. Bowkett said in May we were in discussions with several short-listed parties, and no announcement was likely soon. For what it is worth, as it happens, I believe the club had higher hopes of Fernandes than it admitted to, but he is obviously only one for the future. if at all. It is not easy to sell a middle-ranking, non-Premier League provincial football club that hasn''t had its debt wiped out by going into administration. More attractive propositions - such as WBA, Glasgow Rangers, Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday - have all been on the market for as long as Norwich. A longer list than that of clubs sold. There is no evidence that S&J have turned down any reasonable offers. If they had the aggrieved suitors could simply have gone public, as Cullum did, to try to force the issue. And there is no doubt that our banks (who want a sale to get their money back) would be in a strong position to force a deal on us (if S&J were being recalcitrant) by threatening to call in their debts.[/quote]

As I stated earlier in a previous thread....

Unfortunate, because without investment....well, I don''t have to reiterate and state the obvious.....

Have the ''Turner Two'' got their loan back yet? 

I think you might develop a more balanced view of the situation by not only relying on ''public statements'' and ''statements in public'' but by also taking into account (a) circumstantial evidence, (b) history, and (c) many people''s instincts.

What do you think? I mean I think most of us would agree that there is usually more than one side to each story.

OTBC

[/quote]

My assessment is based on much more than just public statements. Until you are able to point up any flaws in my assessment I''m content to stick with it.

To answer mello''s question, the Turner loan is repayable in 2017, or earlier if we reach the Premier League or if S&J sell up.

I know you normally deal in fact PC, but would you care to speculate on what the conditions for a sale might be ?As I said before, I suspect it''s not a question of "how much", but "what will you do when you''ve got it ?"...

blah, I know what S&J wanted at the time of Cullumgate. They wanted a long-term deal; the virtues - if there were any - of Cullum''s proposal were short-term ones. The directors (and not just S&J) thought it far too risky a business plan.

As to now, this IS speculation but I very much doubt that anything has changed. However one regards S&J''s stewardship of the club I don''t think anyone doubts that they understand its place in the city and the county, and are still looking for a long-term deal. As you say, I suspect their main consideration still is:

"What will you do when you''ve got it ?"

There are some likely specifics. I would be amazed if they would be keen on any deal that involved selling Carrow Road. That probably applies to Colney too. I doubt they would want new owners to list the company. If it was me I would want the new owners to have at least one board member with experience of running a football club, and S&J would probably looking for that too.

I can''t imagine they would go for a deal that severed ties with the community.

But at bottom it is that long-term commitment that would be paramount.

"There are some likely specifics. I would be amazed if they would be keen

on any deal that involved selling Carrow Road. That probably applies to

Colney too. I doubt they would want new owners to list the company. If

it was me I would want the new owners to have at least one board member

with experience of running a football club, and S&J would probably

looking for that too."I think they are likely to be frustrated if indeed these are the selling criteria.  If I buy an apple, it''s my choice to eat it or let it sit on the side and go off.  I don''t expect Tescos to refuse to sell me the apple because I might not eat it.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"There are some likely specifics. I would be amazed if they would be keen on any deal that involved selling Carrow Road. That probably applies to Colney too. I doubt they would want new owners to list the company. If it was me I would want the new owners to have at least one board member with experience of running a football club, and S&J would probably looking for that too."

I think they are likely to be frustrated if indeed these are the selling criteria.  If I buy an apple, it''s my choice to eat it or let it sit on the side and go off.  I don''t expect Tescos to refuse to sell me the apple because I might not eat it.
[/quote]

blah, I should perhaps have been clearer. I think their only serious criterion is a good long-term plan. The others are more like a wishlist in an ideal world, although I think it would take a lot to convince them (or me, for that matter!) that selling Carrow Road was a good idea.

I''d agree that selling Carrow Road would be very controversial.  However.  An out of town soulless enormo-dome like Pride Park or the Ricoh arena could probably be knocked up near the a47 for the thick end of 20 million these days, or 2 Jarrold Stands ?  If you could sell the Carrow Road land for housing at a profit, and that profit went into team building, well...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I''d agree that selling Carrow Road would be very controversial.  However.  An out of town soulless enormo-dome like Pride Park or the Ricoh arena could probably be knocked up near the a47 for the thick end of 20 million these days, or 2 Jarrold Stands ?  If you could sell the Carrow Road land for housing at a profit, and that profit went into team building, well...
[/quote]

blah, again I wasn''t being clear![:$] I meant S&J would be opposed to selling Carrow Road and leasing it back, which has been advocated by some fans. A very bad idea unless the last, last, last resort. SelIing Carrow Road to finance a new stadium is another matter.

"I meant S&J would be opposed to selling Carrow Road and leasing it

back, which has been advocated by some fans. A very bad idea unless the

last, last, last resort. SelIing Carrow Road to finance a new stadium is

another matter."Crikey yeah - the football equivalent to an equity loan secured on your house - bang goes the kids inheritance...

I cannot understand all the pessimism on this forum apart from the usual suspects. We are one of the luckiest clubs in the football world, locally based, locally owned, well supported, nearly filling the ground every week. Our stadium is modern and the non football activities have been maximised to support the team.

We are the envy of most clubs supporters I speak to and our association with Delia gives us a high profile in both the UK and even abroad - often referred to as Delia''s Norwich City.

We have a relatively low cost team that want to play for the shirt, and one of the best young managers in the business and we are 4th in the second tier of English football which is probably higher than our historical average.

Yes we have debts which we are told are manageable and assets that can be realised if everything goes pear shaped. (I have always been in favour of moving to a purpose built stadium,but accept I am in a minority)

I would of course like to see more investment but if it does not materialise I am happy to support this wonderful club and will remain grateful to Delia for being both owner and number one fan.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

I cannot understand all the pessimism on this forum apart from the usual suspects. We are one of the luckiest clubs in the football world, locally based, locally owned, well supported, nearly filling the ground every week. Our stadium is modern and the non football activities have been maximised to support the team.

We are the envy of most clubs supporters I speak to and our association with Delia gives us a high profile in both the UK and even abroad - often referred to as Delia''s Norwich City.

We have a relatively low cost team that want to play for the shirt, and one of the best young managers in the business and we are 4th in the second tier of English football which is probably higher than our historical average.

Yes we have debts which we are told are manageable and assets that can be realised if everything goes pear shaped. (I have always been in favour of moving to a purpose built stadium,but accept I am in a minority)

I would of course like to see more investment but if it does not materialise I am happy to support this wonderful club and will remain grateful to Delia for being both owner and number one fan.

[/quote]

......From a usual suspect....

[quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

You might be more constructive if you would address the issues raised in the opening post. That''s what this thread is about rather than testimonials about everything being alright in the garden.

Maybe many things are going alright at the moment. What is needed is creativity and innovation to deal with the challenges that lie ahead of having performers manage the club on and off the field for the first time in a long time.

OTBC

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

......From a usual suspect....

[/quote]I REALLY like that...........

BBB

Sorry I was too busy refuting the knockers and anti Delia brigade that I did not address your opening post.

Yes another share issue could be a short term answer. Perhaps another specific sponsor in the Waitrose mould with matched funding.

I suspect there is a little cash left in the pot for January, but a mega Christmas lottery could be an idea tickets £10 each - prize £10,000.

No other ideas at present.

In the absence of wealthy investors, who are what we need if we are to make an immediate impact, the only recourse seems to be to follow the original Delia plan, - to assemble a squad over a few years from small but astute purchases and Bowmans, backed up with the best of our home grown talent.

I can''t see any alternative to this. We have a few very good players, - Surman, Ward, Crofts (possibly Hooly and Drury?), but the remaining vary from ''useful'' championship players to ''barely'' championship players. The outstanding nucleus is not big enough.

PL did a very good job of selling the club to potential signings this summer - especially Surman, Ward and Crofts, and there will be similar players available next May. PL has been astute in his purchaes, and he now has a good chief scout.

The plain fact is that our squad is too small and not generally good enough for promotion. The aim must surely be to finish as high as we can to retain PL and attract some good players in the summer. If we can retain the services of Barnett, it would help our prospects, but I doubt that we can afford him at the moment.

Well-wishers with money to spare do not grow on trees. Would you "give" a million or two to a club already nearly £25 million in debt, unless you can gain control, and how much would control entail?