Sign in to follow this  
ca

Lets discuss Ruddy

Just wondered what people''s thoughts are on Ruddy now that 13 games are over and we''ve had a proper chance to assess him.

Does he command his area, what are his strong points and weaknesses and are do you have confidence in him when we are under the cosh in the goal area?

Whats your thoughts?

I''ll be the first to say that I really rate him and feel fully confident with him in goal. I know that he has made a handful of mistakes already but he is young and just starting to get experience, he is improving every week and last saturday I noticed him starting to come out for crosses and collect them. Also his quick throws are quality as we have seen already.

He''s potentially a very good keeper. His handling is usually excellent and he''s very vocal. Like all big keepers he''s a bit vulnerable to low shots close to his body (ie Leicester''s first) but he''s still developing. What he needs is for the morons who get on his back for not thumping the ball aimlessly downfield the minute he gets it, and cheer when he catches the ball after a mistake to give him a break.

Keepers generally develop more slowly than outfield players, not least because they have no place to hide, and in a couple of years or so this lad will be very good indeed.

I reate the lad highly. Hes capable of making match winning saves. I feel as soon as some members of the crowd get off his back then you will see the errors that hes made completely leave his hame. Even the best keepers drop the odd howler, look at Van Der Sar!!

All the fans that always compare Ruddy and Forster, he was never ours so you cant compare the two. Why dont you compare him to Jussi Jaaskelainen as we had him on loan aswel, Jeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!! LOL

I totally agree that it is pointless to compare him to Forster or anyone else that used to be at the club.

The question is who is the best at the club at the moment to play and clearly Lambert feels that is Ruddy.

I still feel he has made far too many mistakes and despite some excellent saves he still does not fill me with confidence.

On what I''ve seen (which is not as much as Lambert clearly) I would be playing Rudd who is the best keeper of his age I have seen. However I agree there is no point going on about it and certainly we have to get behind Ruddy (although occassional frustration does come out when he does something stupid as with any player!!)

I must admit I didnt have confidence in him to begin with, he always seemed a little nervous. However he has improved lots over the last few games, seems confident on crosses and commands the area well. It helps that the two center backs infront of him have been playing so well too. He is unfortunate that some people seem determined that Rudd should be number one despite hardly ever seeing him play though.

I believe Ruddy has been quoted as saying that he doesn''t think he''s produced his best form yet. I think he''ll be ok. I trust Lambert implicitly to make the right decisions; if Lambo likes him he must be alright.

We got Ruddy for peanuts (less than we''d have paid just to get Forster on loan), he''s English, he''s local, he''s only 23 and he''s a very good goalkeeper.

Ruddy will prove to be one of, if not the best signing made by Lambert in the long-term, I''m sure of that.

He''ll either be our goalkeeper in a Premiership team, or we''ll sell him on for big money.

Incidentally, despite a couple of errors, he''s comfortably better than Cardiff''s number one, David Marshall!

Sorry...I mean their bench-warmer, Marshall.

I think he is beginning to settle now. He is getting used to playing front of big crowds and he has a manager who has complete faith in him which helps. Against Middlesborough I thought his handling was very assured and he made some very good takes from difficult crosses/shots. He does have the odd issue with communication still. There was that potentially suicidal moment when he stopped, went back and then decided to come for a ball against Boro. However all young keepers do that. That lad Scezesny (spelling?)who Arsenal  think is their long term number one made a right hash of coming for ball  against Newcastle yesterday and I thought he was sensational for Brentford last year. So all in all I think he will grow into a very decent goalie for us.

I dont understand this clamour for Rudd either. He has done ok but his kicking fell apart under pressure against Barnsley. He is an excellent young goalkeeper but Lambert has obviously seen something in training which indicates he was not quite ready to step this season. Hence why he brought in a more expereinced goalkeeper. Obviously Lambert will show loyalty towards his signings as every manager does but the mistake against Leicester aside I dont he has done anything completely particularly wrong.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]We got Ruddy for peanuts (less than we''d have paid just to get Forster on loan), he''s English, he''s local, he''s only 23 and he''s a very good goalkeeper.

Ruddy will prove to be one of, if not the best signing made by Lambert in the long-term, I''m sure of that.

He''ll either be our goalkeeper in a Premiership team, or we''ll sell him on for big money.

Incidentally, despite a couple of errors, he''s comfortably better than Cardiff''s number one, David Marshall!

Sorry...I mean their bench-warmer, Marshall.[/quote]How is that relevant to anything? I couldn''t care if he was born next to Carrow road, or Brazil aslong as he kept the ball out of the net.

He''s dropped the odd clanger but that''s all part of the territory of being a goalkeeper. As every striker says, they can miss nine open goals and then score from the tenth and be a hero.

The thing with Ruddy is that I don''t feel ''uncomfortable'' with him in goal. For instance when James used to play for England and flap around a lot, every time the ball went into the box, my heart lurched a bit.

I''m confident with Ruddy and he is still young and has spent about five years kicking about in Everton''s reserves. He''s good and he''ll come gooder

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="CanaryJames"]We got Ruddy for peanuts (less than we''d have paid just to get Forster on loan), he''s English, he''s local, he''s only 23 and he''s a very good goalkeeper. Ruddy will prove to be one of, if not the best signing made by Lambert in the long-term, I''m sure of that. He''ll either be our goalkeeper in a Premiership team, or we''ll sell him on for big money. Incidentally, despite a couple of errors, he''s comfortably better than Cardiff''s number one, David Marshall! Sorry...I mean their bench-warmer, Marshall.[/quote]
How is that relevant to anything? I couldn''t care if he was born next to Carrow road, or Brazil aslong as he kept the ball out of the net.
[/quote]

It seems to me that people on this site believes that if you are local or from the academy you a world class and anyone else who isn''t doesn''t deserve their place in the side (eg the Spillane and R Martin saga).

Or alternatively it''s just nice to see someone from East Anglia (well, Cambridge) making a success of themselves in football, considering this area hasn''t produced a great deal of top-class footballers.

I''m so sorry I dared to suggest it''s nice to see someone ''local'' doing well, and at our club as well.

And for arguments sake...

I''d definitely have Russell Martin - who is showing himself to be a very good player this year - over Spillaine (who ultimately proved very little) any day of the week.

Incidentally I prefer Simeon Jackson to Chris Martin as well, but of course I had to get over the fact that he''s from Canada and not Colney...

Yes I must admit that I''d missed the fact that us City fans hate anyone from ''away'' so our favourites exclude Keelan, Gunn, Woods, McMarshall ...

I also have missed the fact that the player I''ve seen play for youth teams, reserves, and 1st team called Declan Rudd was not the one that I think is a better keeper than the one that I''ve seen play called John Ruddy.

Maybe what I really missed was what made at least one poster on here think he knows me better than I do myself.

I accept Lambert prefers Ruddy, I just gave my own opinion that Rudd was better ... sorry if that offends!

It seems to me that people on this site believes that if you are local or from the academy you a world class and anyone else who isn''t doesn''t deserve their place in the side (eg the Spillane and R Martin saga).

Sounds reasonable to me.......

I amazed that this post has reached two pages and no-one has taken a knife and disembowelled Ruddy yet! Has reasoned debate broken out on Pinkun? Have we gone fluffy? Normally by now at least one FF fan would have piped up...........................