Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

PL's first big test

Even before we went 2-0 down in first ten minutes today, these next 6 or 7 games will be the most significant test for the squad and PL since he came in.

Cardiff, Millwall and Reading all away will be a severe test as will the home games v Burnley, Leeds and the old enemy. 

We''ve come a long way (as PL likes to remind everyone) since August last year and sitting in the top six this morning we sometimes need to pinch ourselves to check that it''s reality. Our home form this season has been disappointing if the truth be told and we have struggled to build up any attacking momentum other than in sporadic spells. Will be interesting to see whether we can impose ourselves and create more chances at home than we have so far, in these next few games.

For me the enigma remains in the shape of Grant Holt. Tremendous season last year and I have always thought (and still do) that the boy could score something like 15-20 league goals in The Championship. Based on his performances so far and particularly last weekened, I''m afraid he is (currently) a pale shadow of last seasons inspired leader. Clearly carrying too much weight, the boy is unfit and lacks work rate. When the substitution came last week I was amazed that he stayed on. In the last ten minutes or so when we were under the cosh I expected him to be the outlet for our attacks, hold the ball up and work his backside off to hassle and harry. Never happened though did it? Hands on hips wandering around the centre circle and when the ball did come his way he waved a limp foot at it and that was it. Too often Holt ignores the game and concentrates on having little running battles with the referee and / or defenders.  I''m not sure what PL  really thinks about Holt''s contribution, presumably he''s happy?

Of course Holt may (hopefully will) surge back to form and stuff this post down my throat. I''d be delighted if he did! At the moment though I''m not holding my breath.

If PL can get Holt quickly back to last seasons form and the squad remain largely fit, we have a half decent chance of the playoffs. If he can''t then forget it.   

Got to admit, I totally disagree with the Holt assessment. He has the physical prescence and good at knock downs. just because he isnt scoring, doesnt mean he''s a poor player

[quote user="ryan1992"]Got to admit, I totally disagree with the Holt assessment. He has the physical prescence and good at knock downs. just because he isnt scoring, doesnt mean he''s a poor player[/quote]

But at the minute he doesn''t even have a physical presence. When was the last time he won a header? OK he is getting better but what frustrates me and other City fans is if he is in an offside position how he takes an age to get back onside.

Good call on Canary Call just now... The guy who said that he had been to the game and that Holty did not win a header yet again, had numerous chances to put Jackson through on goal and failed, didn''t hold the ball up etc.  He also said that was the overhwelming opinion of City fans coming away from the ground after the match.Of course Neil Adams disagreed with him.

What I don''t get, is why do everybody seem to hate Holt, but think martin is God? I like them both, but Martin''s only got 1 in 12, and obviously Lambert rates Holt aswell,  and I''d rather have Lambert picking the rather side than some people on here (including myself)!

[quote user="ryan1992"]What I don''t get, is why do everybody seem to hate Holt, but think martin is God? I like them both, but Martin''s only got 1 in 12, and obviously Lambert rates Holt aswell,  and I''d rather have Lambert picking the rather side than some people on here (including myself)![/quote]So do you think that Holty has been playing well enough to warrant staying on the pitch for 90 mins week in week out Ryan?I don''t think that two many fans are saying that we should drop him from the team completely, just that he needs a kick up the arse and to feel that his place in the team is under threat a little if he is not performing.

[quote user="Smudger"]Good call on Canary Call just now... The guy who said that he had been to the game and that Holty did not win a header yet again, had numerous chances to put Jackson through on goal and failed, didn''t hold the ball up etc.  He also said that was the overhwelming opinion of City fans coming away from the ground after the match.Of course Neil Adams disagreed with him.[/quote]How do you know if it was a good call if you didn''t see the game?  How does this guy know this was the "overwhelming opinion", did he ask them all?

What annoys me is what two posters on this thread are basing their opinions on.

Crofts Number one stalker - was on the match thread and wasn''t even listening/watching the game until 15-20mins into the 2nd hald - whats to bet that is the case for the rest of the season?!!!

Smudger - says that Holt didn''t win a single header all game, yet actually according to reports on the radio (radio norfolk and five live) have said otherwise?!!!

This month will be a good test but at the start of the season who was actually thinking that we could win this league, or even finish top 6? Especially after the start against Watford.

Perspective is called for here and although people are saying its a tough month I think Cardiff was our stiffist test. And we can really take credit from the performance as we were the best footballing team and were beaten by the sheer quality in three forward players they have - and lets face it the cost of those three put together would be more than our entire starting 11 today.

Millwall and Leeds are at least on a level pegging with us.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Smudger"]Good call on Canary Call just now... The guy who said that he had been to the game and that Holty did not win a header yet again, had numerous chances to put Jackson through on goal and failed, didn''t hold the ball up etc.  He also said that was the overhwelming opinion of City fans coming away from the ground after the match.Of course Neil Adams disagreed with him.[/quote]How do you know if it was a good call if you didn''t see the game?  How does this guy know this was the "overwhelming opinion", did he ask them all?[/quote]Well I enjoyed the call and watching Neil Adams squirm for starters Graham... [;)]I haven''t passed comment on what the guy actually said - just stated what he said "on air" that is all.

The other irritant is people saying "Drop Holt for Martin" because they are completely different players, and if you play Martin with Jackson then you need a different midfield.And I still maintain that Holt''s value to the team is much more than his contribution on the pitch.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The other irritant is people saying "Drop Holt for Martin" because they are completely different players, and if you play Martin with Jackson then you need a different midfield.And I still maintain that Holt''s value to the team is much more than his contribution on the pitch.[/quote]Holt is the rock and Lambert values his all round presence.Like Huckerby... when he''s not there you''ll notice it very quickly.

[quote user="chicken"]What annoys me is what two posters on this thread are basing their opinions on.

Crofts Number one stalker - was on the match thread and wasn''t even listening/watching the game until 15-20mins into the 2nd hald - whats to bet that is the case for the rest of the season?!!!

Smudger - says that Holt didn''t win a single header all game, yet actually according to reports on the radio (radio norfolk and five live) have said otherwise?!!!

This month will be a good test but at the start of the season who was actually thinking that we could win this league, or even finish top 6? Especially after the start against Watford.

Perspective is called for here and although people are saying its a tough month I think Cardiff was our stiffist test. And we can really take credit from the performance as we were the best footballing team and were beaten by the sheer quality in three forward players they have - and lets face it the cost of those three put together would be more than our entire starting 11 today.

Millwall and Leeds are at least on a level pegging with us.[/quote]Did I actuall say that?  I suggest you read the point above which I just pointed out to Graham.I just stated what the guy who called up Canary Call said.That is one of two reports I have heard from people who actually went to the match and that is all I have to go off at the moment.  Neil Adam said he played ok however.  The other report I heard was from somebody who was astonished that Wes was taken off after Holt had picked up that knock.I haven''t passed comment on Holty''s performance all afternoon as I haven''t seen it.  I just gave any hope of us getting a result up when Simeon was withdrawn for Chris Martin on the 70 to 75 min mark as usual.

All I''ll say is it comes to something when people are using Canary Call as an indicator of "what actually happened".That would be like giving up BBC News because you read the Daily Sport.

The OP went from talking about the tough month ahead to starting another Holt argument which I shall not get into again, so I will reply to the first part of the OP.

The month ahead is tough but, Cardiff was the toughest match of the lot.  They are an absolutley awesome team at this level and we matched them in all area''s of the pitch apart from the strike force.  If we play like we did today against teams like Millwall, Leeds and Ipswich then I''m sure we can come out on top.  We have Reading away on Sky so that''s a loss but Burnley at home I''m sure we can win.  A tough month yes but, I''m sure we can get quite a few points from it.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mister Chops"]The other irritant is people saying "Drop Holt for Martin" because they are completely different players, and if you play Martin with Jackson then you need a different midfield.

And I still maintain that Holt''s value to the team is much more than his contribution on the pitch.

[/quote]

Holt is the rock and Lambert values his all round presence.

Like Huckerby... when he''s not there you''ll notice it very quickly.
[/quote]

Bloody exactly Sir Cluck.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mister Chops"]The other irritant is people saying "Drop Holt for Martin" because they are completely different players, and if you play Martin with Jackson then you need a different midfield.And I still maintain that Holt''s value to the team is much more than his contribution on the pitch.[/quote]Holt is the rock and Lambert values his all round presence.Like Huckerby... when he''s not there you''ll notice it very quickly.[/quote]

Bloody exactly Sir Cluck.[Y]

[/quote]Just plain Cluck to you my friend.....[;)]

Well said Cluck, and Wiz I haven''t seen you posting much lately? Hope you''re OK mate.And anyway, my point is...Surely Lambert''s biggest challenge so far was turning a team that got thumped 7-1 at home on the first day of the season in League One into Champions in 8 and a bit months?

Agree with Wiz & Cluck RE Holty.

And the above regarding Lambert''s biggest challenge being last season.

[quote user="Captain Holts Controversial Jokes"]Well said Cluck, and Wiz I haven''t seen you posting much lately? Hope you''re OK mate.

And anyway, my point is...Surely Lambert''s biggest challenge so far was turning a team that got thumped 7-1 at home on the first day of the season in League One into Champions in 8 and a bit months?

[/quote]

I''m fine mate cheers, I just don''t like the new layout much, so thats put me off posting a bit.

And your points spot on btw mate.[Y]

smudger -

"Well I enjoyed the call and watching Neil Adams squirm for starters Graham. I haven''t passed comment on what the guy actually said - just stated what he said "on air" that is all.

whereas before

"Good call on Canary Call just now"

So we can presume that the ''good call'' refers to the callers phone techniques rather than any view on the content

I would also be curious (as many others no doubt will be) as to where you were sitting when you were ''watching Neil Adams squirm''