Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Probably the two most important things I've learned

About this season and both are huge clichés!

1)  If you get a chance, you MUST take it

It''s not like the 1st Div up here.  In previous years we could probably rely on the fact that if we created half a dozen chances, we would be able to stick one away.  It''s not like that this year.  If we get one chance we absolutely must take it.  It''s the difference between 3 points and none

2)  If you don''t concentrate for 90 minutes you get punished

Again sounds pretty basic but it''s totally true.  I''m not necassarily talking about last night but several times this year we''ve been doing pretty well, lost concentration for a second, and BANG, we''ve lost.  Simple things like marking up at corners and defenders looking across the line for offsides.  It makes the difference

I know I''m spectacularly biased but I do think we have been very "unlucky" this season.  By unlucky I mean we''ve played well in games and got nothing from them.  The main reason for this is points one and two.

Clichés, but all the same true 

I agree DDIM.

I was thinking last night that IF we go down (awaits being called a pessamist etc) we will be able to pinpoint the matches and the moments of loss of concentration and missed chances in those matches that cost us relegation.

I agree DDiM and unfortunately alot of things we do wrong are basic''s and if a team consistantly marks poorly, doesn''t put a man on the post for set pieces, sits too deep, can''t score one on ones, midfielders don''t cover defenders when they make runs etc. etc. it has to come down to the coaching.   We all comment week in week out about things like:

Drury playing from inside the area and not meeting the winger before he crosses

Holt playing way too deep

Huckerby running into trouble all the time

Flemming losing his marker and ball watching alot

McKenzie chasing defenders as they dink the ball around him like piggy in the middle, wasting his energy

Edworthy being a poor man marker

Jonson not really improving anything over than his comitment

If we the fans see all this, why don''t the staff?   Why are they not telling Holt to move up away from the defenders, Huckerby to try passing backwards or sideways instead of taking on 2 defenders and losing it, Flemming to get concentrating and stay goalside of his man, McKenzie not to chase lost causes and sort his first touch out, Edworthy some basic defending practice, Jonson to take on the left back and get a cross in once in a while.  Or why haven''t they introduced Shackell and Jarvis more often.   Not only are the players not quite up to the Prem this season (and I say this season) our coaching staff aren''t either.  The game has changed since alot were last hear but they haven''t.  Lets hope this has been a big learning curve for everyone, but on evidence of the same mistakes happening week in week out I can''t see that it has.

No one is denying the commitment our staff and players give to the club, but someone with some Premiership coaching and talent spotting nounce needs to be introduced at some level of coaching or dare I say it Management, otherwise we will continue to see a high spirited, greatly committed Norwich, but not a cutting edge match winning Norwich.  I think Nigel can do it though and this season should have been a great experience for him, someone needs to tell him to admit his mistakes and make changes

Is any player doing anything right in your opinion mr sf. your criticism of hucks is ridiculous, who made the 4 goals last week, i would bet he has more assists than any other city player.
he is one player at the club who excites and gets fans out of their seats, of course he frustrates at times but so does ronaldo, giggs, and duff, other players who at times run the ball too much, but that one touch of class can turn a game. the times i have seen huckerby put the ball in and there is no one there is a joke. thats our problem from day one, no fox in the box.

Ricky, that is exactly why the whole jist of my topic was about coaching staff and management.   No where in my post did I criticise a player.  All the players are doing their best, but without the right guidance and coaching they will keep making the same mistakes.

Huckerby is the most exciting  player we have and a common joke down here in the South with all the London club fans is that all the managers in the prem have to say in their pre-match team talk is "don''t let Huckerby have it" and that''s it.

You make a good point about people not being in the box, that too is a coaching issue and something they should be working on, but a player of Giggs or Ronaldo''s class wouldn''t just run the ball into a wall of defenders they would instead look to pass backwards down the line to the left back or inside back to a midfielder, that is the very real difference in class.  I will say again though Huckerby will continue to do this if no one coaches him or guides how to do things differently, or coaches and guides the players that should be giving him options around him.  It is not their fault though and I never said that.

I am not trying to argue with you SF although it might seem that way. the coaching staff can only do so much but you need the players to carry it out. we have missed a 25 goal striker and the only midfielder getting in the box regularly is francis. As for hucks he is uncoachable, better men than worthy have tried, but would you want to change him? i am hoping ashton and stuart who has a good goal record will make a difference in the last 13 games.

fair enough.

Would I want to change Huckerby?   Hell yeah.  The guy can dribble, but 80% of the time there is no end product.  50% of the time we lose possession.  

Make that 50% of the time there is an end product like a cross or shot and 80% of the time we keep possession then you have a player of Giggss, Ronaldo, Pires, Lundberg et al calibre.  Huckerby has such a long way to go to improve as a player and hell that is a good thing no?

[quote]fair enough. Would I want to change Huckerby? Hell yeah. The guy can dribble, but 80% of the time there is no end product. 50% of the time we lose possession. Make that 50% of the time there i...[/quote]

and who would replace him?

I agree totally Stevanagefan regarding the poor basic defensive errors, however i disagree on yuor points regarding Huckerby.

I can''t see how Huckerby can improve (you can only be as good to a certain limit, that is what distinguishes good players from world class ones). In all honesty i''m sure Worthy hates it when Huckerby over-runs the ball, lacks a finish from a one on one...   But i''m sure he''s telling Huckerby to continue playing as he does, even if it does mean losing the ball sometimes. Huckerby is the only one who creates anything at the club, and so, annoyed as i often am, he should not change the way he plays

I think it''s all about having a footballing brain. A lot of the time Hucks and Helveg come to think of it have played a ball that most feel is no good,

but is it the fact that Hucks and helveg are thinking about potting the next red and colour when most of the team are consentrating on potting the easy red and let see where the cue ball stops?

[quote]About this season and both are huge clichés ! 1) If you get a chance, you MUST take it It''s not like the 1st Div up here. In previous years we could probably rely on the fact that if we created h...[/quote]

look at west brom

if we could have held on to the games against bolton, pompey, palace and fulham that would be 10 extra points

concentration is a must for survival