Sign in to follow this  
Libbra Lives in Dubai

Squad ability (who's ahead of who)

Just a bit of fun, but here is my take on who are our best options for each position and their current level:

GK

1) Ruddy - low championship

2) Rudd - league 1

3) Steer - league 2

RB

1) Russell Martin - championship

2) George Francomb - league 2

LB

1) Drury - championship

2) Smith - low championship

3) Lappin - league 1

CB

1) Barnett - high championship

2) Ward - high championship

3) Nelson - low championship

4) Whitbread - high league 1

5) Askou - league 1

Wide midfield

1) Hoolahan - high championship

2) Surman - high championship

3) McNamee - championship

4) Lappin - high league 1

5) Daley - low league 1

6) Dawkin - league 2

Central midfield

1) Crofts - high championship

2) Smith - championship

3) Surman - championship

4) Lappin - low championship

5) Fox - low championship

6) Hughes - high league 1

7) Adeyemi - league 1

8) Gill - league 1

9) OTJ - league 1

Attacking midfield

1) Hoolahan - high championship

2) Surman - high champtionship

3) McNamee - high league 1

Target men

1) Holt - championship

Centre forwards

1) Jackson - high championship

2) Martin - low championship

3) McDonald - league 1

4) Johnson - league 1

Based on this, in order to maintain momentum in this league over the course of a season I''d say we need:

-a big strong striker

-cover at RB

-a keeper

-Barnett

I dont think we can afford to play any non-championship standard players if we are to mount a serious bid for promotion. What do you lot think?

Our success so far has been based on the fact that the players have gelleed well together. We have kept a lot of last year''s squad together along with a couple of clever additions. So everyone is settled and clear with their roles. This is why we are beating teams like Middlesborough who have spent much more than us and on paper have a better squad. You call Simon Lappin for instance a league 1 player but his attitude and desire are first class and he much better player than given credit for (puts his tin hat). Just goes to show that old saying football is played on grass not paper is very true.

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]Just a bit of fun, but here is my take on who are our best options for each position and their current level: GK 1) Ruddy - low championship 2) Rudd - league 1 3) Steer - league 2 RB 1) Russell Martin - championship 2) George Francomb - league 2 LB 1) Drury - championship 2) Smith - low championship 3) Lappin - league 1 CB 1) Barnett - high championship 2) Ward - high championship 3) Nelson - low championship 4) Whitbread - high league 1 5) Askou - league 1 Wide midfield 1) Hoolahan - high championship 2) Surman - high championship 3) McNamee - championship 4) Lappin - high league 1 5) Daley - low league 1 6) Dawkin - league 2 Central midfield 1) Crofts - high championship 2) Smith - championship 3) Surman - championship 4) Lappin - low championship 5) Fox - low championship 6) Hughes - high league 1 7) Adeyemi - league 1 8) Gill - league 1 9) OTJ - league 1 Attacking midfield 1) Hoolahan - high championship 2) Surman - high champtionship 3) McNamee - high league 1 Target men 1) Holt - championship Centre forwards 1) Jackson - high championship 2) Martin - low championship 3) McDonald - league 1 4) Johnson - league 1 Based on this, in order to maintain momentum in this league over the course of a season I''d say we need: -a big strong striker -cover at RB -a keeper -Barnett I dont think we can afford to play any non-championship standard players if we are to mount a serious bid for promotion. What do you lot think?[/quote]

You have''nt made up your mind on Lappin then?

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]Just a bit of fun, but here is my take on who are our best options for each position and their current level: [/quote]

I know you said it''s just a bit of fun but it''s not is it? It''s a whole load of bollocks. To give a fair rating to the whole squad you would have to have watched them in all thier competitive matches this season, that''s including any reserve, Academy or "on loan" performances.

I actually think the OP has got the ratings pretty much spot on..

I don''t understand people who highly rate hughes, he''s an average play, good to have in the squad but doesn''t set the world on fire and is injury prone..

Whitbread is an unknown quantity having seen him only in league one for 20-odd minutes at millwall

I genuinly don''t think we have ANY players that are premiership quality, that doesn''t mean to say they can''t play in that league but just shows how organised lambert has got the team

The problem with all of this is that until we have seen some of these players play in the premiership, or played more than a season in the Championship we are not really in a position to judge.

I say that because some players thrive in the prem but struggle in the champs, some players thrive in the champs and struggle in the prem.

It''s not always clear cut. After last season I think people can see that the further down the leagues you go you find that teams have less quality and so tend to work hard at the defensive side of the game, closing down much quicker and being more physical.

Players like Hoolahan may be more suited to the premiership than they are to say league one. They also may be quicker to adapt and able to change or improve. Some players have already shown signs of this in Lappin and R. Martin.

Then there is the other factor - a team is rated on how good it is by it''s league position - not where one individual may play better. And to a certain extent I would expect all of these players to find it hard this season, with championship experience or not. It is a tough league.

Finaly - the team can only beat the team that is put out against them. There are a few of our players I think could do ok in the premiership - not nessisarily title contending players but defenitely as good as some of the other players in the lower teams.

Blackpool are doing well and I would still say now that some of their players are not as strong in terms of ability as ours. But a lot of it is how hard you battle and how much you want to win. Most of their team would never get scouted by prem teams so they know that this may be the only chance they get of premiership football.

This is my opinion.. agree with some of them but some of them you were harsh with and a couple you were too generous

GK

1) Ruddy - Championship

2) Rudd - Championship

3) Steer - league 2

RB

1) Russell Martin - Championship

2) George Francomb - League 1

LB

1) Drury - High Championship

2) Smith - High Championship

3) Lappin - Championship

CB

1) Barnett - High Championship

2) Ward - High Championship

3) Nelson - League 1

4) Whitbread - High Championship

5) Askou - Championship

Wide midfield

1) Hoolahan - Championship

2) Surman - Premier League

3) McNamee - Championship

4) Lappin - Championship

5) Daley - League 1

6) Dawkin - league 1

Central midfield

1) Crofts - High Championship

2) Smith - Championship

3) Surman - Championship

4) Lappin - Championship

5) Fox - Championship

6) Hughes - Championship

7) Adeyemi - League 1

8) Gill - League 1

9) OTJ - League 1

Attacking midfield

1) Hoolahan - High Championship

2) Surman - Premier League

3) McNamee - High League 1

Target men

1) Holt - Championship

Centre forwards

1) Jackson - Championship

2) Martin - Championship

3) McDonald - League 1

4) Johnson - League 1

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]Well Raymond - it''s nice to know that one can post a light hearted remark on a message board without fear of some a***hole making comments like this. Go boil your head.[/quote]

Bit touchy aren''t you? So how is Cody getting on then? What do you think of his performances then?

Tvvat.

I am literally shocked that no one has been on here telling of Holt''s ability to play at Premier league level.

LOL OP GIVES GRANT HOLT HIS OWN SUB SECTION BECAUSE HE ISN''T TOP OF THE OVERALL STRIKERS LIST [:P]

MACNAMEE IS NOT CHAMP STANDARD, HE WOULDN''T MAKE HALF THE LEAGUE 1 TEAM TOP XI

[quote user="Brendo "]I am literally shocked that no one has been on here telling of Holt''s ability to play at Premier league level.
[/quote]

CAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE HONEST AND HE ISN''T PREM LEVEL! IMO HE ISN''T HIGH CHAMP LEVEL

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Brendo "]I am literally shocked that no one has been on here telling of Holt''s ability to play at Premier league level.
[/quote]

CAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE HONEST AND HE ISN''T PREM LEVEL! IMO HE ISN''T HIGH CHAMP LEVEL

[/quote]

Wow straight ovr his head. Also your opinion of McNamee is ridiculous? He is a quality winger who has done a lot for the club in the short time he has been on the pitch and is now making himself a selection problem for Lambert.

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]Well Raymond - it''s nice to know that one can post a light hearted remark on a message board without fear of some a***hole making comments like this. Go boil your head.[/quote]

Bit touchy aren''t you? So how is Cody getting on then? What do you think of his performances then?

Tvvat.

[/quote]

OTBC

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

Tvvat.

[/quote]

League 1 - as it says in the original post