Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Ruddy

I will probably be shot down here, but am I the only one who has concerns about our goalkeeper?He is a good shot stopper, but seems nervous, indecisive and doesn''t seem to take near enough crosses, even when they are coming into the 6 yard box. This is also when he has a pretty good defence in front of him, and in spite of his obvious height advantage.It''s easy to forget, but I know that when we had Green in goal in this league he took a lot more crosses than Ruddy does.I said when we signed David Marshall that he wasn''t good enough (flapping at crosses etc) and it gradually dawned on people that perhaps he wasn''t that great.  Now dropped at Cardiff.We have a proud history of goalkeepers at this Club, and imo you can count on one hand the number of bad goalkeepers we have had.  Roger Hansbury, Simon Tracey (on loan) David Marshall and Theoklitus (ok I know its hardly fare putting Marshall and Theo in the same sentence - Marshall wasn''t that bad, just not the greatest we have had).For me the jury is out on Ruddy, he still needs some time to settle, but at the moment I am not unconvinced that he will make the grade when compared to Keelan/Gunn/Green etc - thats not to say that I don''t really want him to - I really do!

I made a similar observation on Tim Allmans report thread.

A good shot stopper (most keepers are at a professional level) but to me there is a definite nervousness about him. Of course we want all players to do well but I feel much more relaxed when Rudd is in goal.

I hope Ruddy makes it but I really have my doubts. This ''nerves'' thing very rarely goes away with ''keepers and it''s the more frustrating when we now have a good back four

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I made a similar observation on Tim Allmans report thread. A good shot stopper (most keepers are at a professional level) but to me there is a definite nervousness about him. Of course we want all players to do well but I feel much more relaxed when Rudd is in goal. I hope Ruddy makes it but I really have my doubts. This ''nerves'' thing very rarely goes away with ''keepers and it''s the more frustrating when we now have a good back four[/quote]

Exactly what i was saying. It''s not that i don''t like Ruddy he can make some great saves, but nothing more than i expect from a proffesional goalkeeper. Rudd fills me with so much more confidence. And Ruddy can make some pretty crap saves.

I feel more relaxed with Rudd in goal too - he may make occasional mistakes - he''s still young - but has bags of confidence.  His kicking is generally very good for a young keeper too.The question there is can he perform consistently, I think he probably could, but if he didn''t it could damage his confidence and set him back quite a bit - tough call.

I agree with most things people have so far said on this thread so all I''m going to say is;

Rudd in, Ruddy out.

I feel rather sorry for Ruddy because as long as he has an Academy product behind him, who gets more and more amazing which each passing game he doesn''t play, the knives will be out for him with a lot of supporters simply because he isn''t one of "our own".  See R. Martin/Spillane last season.

I support the Academy - my comments are about what I see on the pitch - and the Academy point was never raised with Forster

I think Ruddy just needs one really good game to get his confidence flowing. Now I''m not insisiting on our defense switching off and letting Ruddy make one thousand saves...but I think he will face a fair amount of shots on Saturday against Burnley, and I hope he has a big game. We need him to feel confident going into the massive double header against Dirty Leeds and the Scum.

I think people forget John Ruddy''s age in all of this, at just 24 he is still a pretty young goalkeeper. Apart from at Cambridge at the start of his career, and last year on loan (again) at Motherwell, he has never really settled down at a club, until he joined us.

I just hope it doesn''t turn into a case of "Rudd is from the academy, so therefore is our favourite" considering their both such young keepers, both striving to nail down once and for all a number 1 jersey at a club.

He is young and has not had that much experience - thats why I said he needs a bit of time - which is fine - but also bear in mind how old Green was when he was doing pretty well for us!

I don''t understand why Ruddy keeps getting his own thread nearly every week, fair enough after he makes a howler, but why after hes been soild for a while now and from looking at the Cardiff higlights kept us in the game?

What worries me more is the ever expanding myth of Declan Rudd. The guy has hardly played yet people are deciding that he''s better than Ruddy. I even saw someone arguing that his kicking was better. Presumably he didn''t see the Barnsley game where Rudd''s kicking verged on the comical.

Rudd is a fine young keeper, but this sort of myth making actually does him no favours. As for Ruddy, I think he''s doing pretty well.

Rudd isn''t as good as everyone seems to believe,

yes he is good but if he was good enough to be in the team then he would be in the team.

Everyone seems to hate John Ruddy, just because he isn''t Fraser Forster, give him a chance.

Besides this i have said for along time that Jed Steer has the potential to be the best that we have ever produced. So if anyone should be being groomed for future stardom it should be him.

Funnily enough Ruddy managed to make his way into team of the day in News Of The World so I guess all those sports reporters were wrong as is Lambert, Culverhouse etc. and David Moyes who sung his praises when we signed him.

I expect the same thing would have emerged with Stephen Hughes and Korey Smith if Hughes was keeping him out of the side:

"I feel safer with him in the side", "we need to back our academy".

Another myth is that Ruddy never claims crosses but I have witnessed him do so in the Boro and QPR games and I expect he did in the Cardiff game.

I also don''t see what''s so amazing with Rudd, other than about 10 games against poor League One teams (never played against anyone like Swindon or Leeds who threatened us) and his kicking is nothing compared to Ruddy''s long throws which allow us to counter very quickly. I also believe Ruddy has an assist already this season for Jacko''s goal vs. Bristol City.

Fair enough if Ruddy is having a few poor games then this thread would make more sense but since he is doing the contrary then it''s a joke. Crofts is also playing well should we drop him?

Is this going to happen every time an acedemy product is trying to get into our side in the place of someone we have brought?  It''s not the fact he is from the acedemy it is the fact people think he is a good keeper and want to give him a go because so far Ruddy has made a few mistakes and has been inconsistent.  The back four have no confidence in him every time the ball is played in the box and Ruddy seems to have absolutely no confidence in himself.  I''m not saying Rudd has looked amazing but he has looked good and hasn''t had a poor game yet.  Why not give him a go when there is someone in his place who hasn''t performed very well?

[quote user="tom1902"]Rudd isn''t as good as everyone seems to believe, yes he is good but if he was good enough to be in the team then he would be in the team. Everyone seems to hate John Ruddy, just because he isn''t Fraser Forster, give him a chance. Besides this i have said for along time that Jed Steer has the potential to be the best that we have ever produced. So if anyone should be being groomed for future stardom it should be him.[/quote]

Having seen Rudd play for England in the summer and let in a number of goals, I''m not one that thinks he is necessarily better than Ruddy at the moment. I''m prepared to leave the decision to Lambert, and I''m sure in time that Rudd will get his chance.  

Is this going to happen every time an acedemy product is trying to get into our side in the place of someone we have brought?  It''s not the fact he is from the acedemy it is the fact people think he is a good keeper and want to give him a go because so far Ruddy has made a few mistakes and has been inconsistent.  The back four have no confidence in him every time the ball is played in the box and Ruddy seems to have absolutely no confidence in himself.  I''m not saying Rudd has looked amazing but he has looked good and hasn''t had a poor game yet.  Why not give him a go when there is someone in his place who hasn''t performed very well?

Agree with this 100%. I have no confidence Ruddy is going to come for crosses and i believe the defence are the same. We are conceding headed goals from inside the 6 yard box and from crosses/through balls i think he should be claiming.

Why do people try to distort what is posted on here?No-one has at any point on this thread that Rudds kicking is better than Ruddy''s - yet I see a post saying someone has!  I said his kicking was good for someone his age - but why try and distort what has been said to gain opinion in your favour - its not quite the same!I agree Ruddy  has an excellent throw, and genereally good distribution.I also did not say he doesn''t take crosses - of course he does - I said he didn''t take as many as Green did in this league.  I have also posted that I freally hope he has a good game, and proves me wrong - that would be enormous for his confidence.Finally - there was crticism of this post being when he had had a good game.  I agree he did have a good game, but I don''t get much time to post, and base my opinions on my experience of all the games I have seen.I have always said that I hope he has some great games, and that I hope he proves me wrong!

I was watching them warm up before a game a few weeks ago and when they were taking some close range shots I noticed that Ruddy held every single one whereas Rudd fumbled 3 of them.

I don''t think Ruddy has been great so far but I think he has been good in some games. And from what I''ve seen of Rudd in the first team there have been times his experience has clearly shone through. I''m not fussed that a few of his kicks went all over the place in one game, I was more worried about the way he rushed himself some into situations when he needn''t have done and when he distributed the ball far too quickly when we needed time to settle back down as a team and get our shape again.

If we are not careful Ruddy will be over criticised and suffer because of it and Rudd will be forced into playing too early.

We have a very good set of keepers at the club who should be nurtured not forced into situations they are not ready for. I have read some excellent reports of Jed Steer who is also an England Youth International. I wonder how many of the people pushing for Rudd to start would be pushing for Steer if Rudd wasn''t on the scene.

Goalkeepers must be given time to develop and not rushed otherwise a lot more harm than good could result. And Ruddy is a very useful keeper who also is still developing and improving.

Incidentally there does not seem to be too many people condemning the sale of Joe Lewis these days as it now becomes obvious that that, at least, was one good piece of business with Rudd and Steer at the club.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

What worries me more is the ever expanding myth of Declan Rudd. The guy has hardly played yet people are deciding that he''s better than Ruddy. I even saw someone arguing that his kicking was better. Presumably he didn''t see the Barnsley game where Rudd''s kicking verged on the comical.

Rudd is a fine young keeper, but this sort of myth making actually does him no favours. As for Ruddy, I think he''s doing pretty well.

[/quote]

Perhaps I keep missing things, but what''s he done wrong now?

If we want a thread slating players after the Cardiff game, lets put Ward and Barnett at the top for poor defending at corners, and Holt and Jackson for failing to do their jobs by not scoring.

Alternatively we could reflect that we are actually not doing too bad in a tough league and be constructive.

[quote user="65Vintage"]I will probably be shot down here, but am I the only one who has concerns about our goalkeeper?

He is a good shot stopper, but seems nervous, indecisive and doesn''t seem to take near enough crosses, even when they are coming into the 6 yard box. This is also when he has a pretty good defence in front of him, and in spite of his obvious height advantage.

It''s easy to forget, but I know that when we had Green in goal in this league he took a lot more crosses than Ruddy does.

I said when we signed David Marshall that he wasn''t good enough (flapping at crosses etc) and it gradually dawned on people that perhaps he wasn''t that great.  Now dropped at Cardiff.

We have a proud history of goalkeepers at this Club, and imo you can count on one hand the number of bad goalkeepers we have had.  Roger Hansbury, Simon Tracey (on loan) David Marshall and Theoklitus (ok I know its hardly fare putting Marshall and Theo in the same sentence - Marshall wasn''t that bad, just not the greatest we have had).

For me the jury is out on Ruddy, he still needs some time to settle, but at the moment I am not unconvinced that he will make the grade when compared to Keelan/Gunn/Green etc - thats not to say that I don''t really want him to - I really do!

[/quote]

Hmm? I think you''re wrong 66''

He pulled off some stunning saves at Cardiff.

He''ll do for me.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

He''ll do for me.

[/quote]

Can''t comment on Cardiff as I didn''t go and they didn''t show any saves in the highlights, but he has made me nervous at some of the games I''ve been yo if I''m honest.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="65Vintage"]I will probably be shot down here, but am I the only one who has concerns about our goalkeeper?

He is a good shot stopper, but seems nervous, indecisive and doesn''t seem to take near enough crosses, even when they are coming into the 6 yard box. This is also when he has a pretty good defence in front of him, and in spite of his obvious height advantage.

It''s easy to forget, but I know that when we had Green in goal in this league he took a lot more crosses than Ruddy does.

I said when we signed David Marshall that he wasn''t good enough (flapping at crosses etc) and it gradually dawned on people that perhaps he wasn''t that great.  Now dropped at Cardiff.

We have a proud history of goalkeepers at this Club, and imo you can count on one hand the number of bad goalkeepers we have had.  Roger Hansbury, Simon Tracey (on loan) David Marshall and Theoklitus (ok I know its hardly fare putting Marshall and Theo in the same sentence - Marshall wasn''t that bad, just not the greatest we have had).

For me the jury is out on Ruddy, he still needs some time to settle, but at the moment I am not unconvinced that he will make the grade when compared to Keelan/Gunn/Green etc - thats not to say that I don''t really want him to - I really do!

[/quote]

He''ll do for me.

[/quote]

As i''ve said before its all about opinions and yes I do accept he made some good saves but they were hardly "stunning" (unless i am thinking of some different saves) and to be honest were the type of saves that i think most keepers would have made.

Seems to be another fan split developing when it comes to Mr Ruddy. Those who think he is being made the whipping boy and others who remain uneasy with him in the team. I have to say i am in the latter camp and most of those who sit round me seem to be of the same opinion. he does not come off his line enough or quickly enough as far as i am concerned and it is hurting us.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

He''ll do for me.

[/quote]

Can''t comment on Cardiff as I didn''t go and they didn''t show any saves in the highlights, but he has made me nervous at some of the games I''ve been yo if I''m honest.

[/quote]

Canaries World has extended highlights Angel.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="First Wizard"]

He''ll do for me.

[/quote]

As i''ve said before its all about opinions and yes I do accept he made some good saves but they were hardly "stunning" (unless i am thinking of some different saves) and to be honest were the type of saves that i think most keepers would have made.

Seems to be another fan split developing when it comes to Mr Ruddy. Those who think he is being made the whipping boy and others who remain uneasy with him in the team. I have to say i am in the latter camp and most of those who sit round me seem to be of the same opinion. he does not come off his line enough or quickly enough as far as i am concerned and it is hurting us.

[/quote]

Surely better than just good saves Jim?

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428_6480173,00.html

(1 boring advert at start)