Sign in to follow this  
Tim Allman

Spillane update from a Brentford Fan

A Spillane update from a Brentford supporter I know -

"Spillane is proving, as you suggested, a very good asset and his defending has improved whilst he continues to bomb forward often getting close to scoring. He has though some competition for places as we''ve just signed Stephen Wright, formerly of Liverpool and Coventry, who is an experienced right back so it will be interesting to see who gets the first choice slot now"

We should never have sold him IMO however Russel Martin has really impressed me this season.  I thought he was shocking last season but this season he has really improved and is becoming not just a reliable full back but a quality one aswell.

Crofts has to be player of the season so far but Russel Martin is not far behind.  I still wished we kept Spillane though[:)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Delia Out"]Shame we sold him!

[/quote]Jamie Lad scored twice on Saturday. Shame we sold him too! [:S]

[/quote]

Obviously not, but I believe that Spillane could have gone on and done well here.

Should we have sold him? Probably not. Did we HAVE to sell him? Possibly. We have a few midfielders we can''t get rid of (Gill, OTJ, Hughes?) but we are still paying for.

The club made the bold move of backing Lambert early so we had got the majority of our players in before pre-season started. Along comes a team with an offer for a player who may or may not be good enough (there''s no proof either way). Considering how well Martin has played I think the right choice has been made. Could Spillane of done the job? Possibly but Martin is doing the job, he hasn''t improved massively since last season just fans are finally just realising how good he is.

I wish Spillane all the best at Brentford and for the rest of his career and I would personally love it if he was to come back to us when we are back in the Premiership as an established side and to do well for us. I would have preferred to have moved on Gill or OTJ but it was an offer for Spillane we received and it was an offer for Spillane we accepted.

Davo

Have a look at where Spillane is a year or two down the line, or even five or six years from now. (A few games for Brentford in League 1 isn''t much to go on).

I don''t think you''ll see him playing for a bigger club, for a better team or in a better league than Norwich.

There are no guarantees in football, but I still don''t understand letting him go when we have no back-up at RB other than Francomb, who may yet be a good prospect butalso not a genuine back-up yet. the Achilles heel in the present squad, IMO.

I heard a rumour that Spillane wanted a guaranteed starting place and that is why he was shown the door.